[comp.unix.msdos] vp/ix and merge

keithe@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) (09/11/90)

I've used Merge with Intel's SysVR3.2 and vp/ix with ISC's 2.0.2.

I _much_ prefer vp/ix because of it's DOS 3.3 filesystem
compatibility.  At the time I was using Merge it was stuck at
DOS 3.2 and I was told that 3.3 was "in the works."

Well, 3.3 ain't really what I need either (4.01, please) but it's
better than 3.2...

kEITHe

PS - I also use vp/ix because it came with ISC 2.0.0 and ISC does
     _much_ faster disk i/o than does the Intel version of UNIX.

dmason@digi.lonestar.org (David Mason) (09/13/90)

Thanks to all who have Emailed me and responded here.  The consenus
I am getting is that Merge is more "integrated" with the UNIX environment
and is easier to set up and maintain, but that VP/ix is a better PC
emulation and might have fewer compatibility problems.  For that matter,
I havent heard of any compatability problems with either - any comments
on this?  Somebody said that they both make the kernel bigger and take
much RAM.  That doesnt surprise me.  It sounds like the difference
between Merge and VP/ix may not be as important as the differences between
the various UNIXes as a whole, and that DOS under UNIX is one factor
in a bigger equation.  Having said that, I think that SCO is heading
the right direction with its "shrink-wrapped" style ODT.  That kind
of thing will get users and non-hackers to buy UNIX where they
wouldnt have otherwise, which will give the UNIX market a big boost.

BTW, Wain and I called off the flame war :-)
(And there was much rejoicing... Yay!)
Dave Mason                           Party on, dudes!
DSC Communications  M/S 121
1000 Coit Rd, Plano TX 75075         The opinions expressed herein are
INET: dmason@digi.lonestar.org       not necessarily mine or those of
UUCP: ...!texsun!digi!dmason         my employer.

woods@eci386.uucp (Greg A. Woods) (09/14/90)

In article <968@digi.lonestar.org> dmason@digi.lonestar.org (David Mason) writes:
> Thanks to all who have Emailed me and responded here.  The consenus
> I am getting is that Merge is more "integrated" with the UNIX environment
> and is easier to set up and maintain, but that VP/ix is a better PC
> emulation and might have fewer compatibility problems.

I hope you didn't get that from anything I said!  :-)

In hoping to keep this simple..... I would say that Merge makes UNIX
look and feel more like DOS, at the kernel level.  I'm not sure what
you meant by "integrated", but I would say that VP/ix has one hell of
a lot more respect for the UNIX environment and philosophy.

VP/ix has special hooks for allowing protected access to hardware
through the normal UNIX devices.  I've not had to study this much in
quite some time, but last time I looked, it appeared that this
facility would allow me to use normal UNIX security features to
protect access to special devices, such as 3270 emulator cards.  This
was something Merge could not do at the time, and from my
understanding of the design of Merge, it will never be able to do this.

My hazy memory of other aspects of VP/ix and Merge design also gives
preference to VP/ix, mostly because of the UNIX philosophy argument
cited above.

> It sounds like the difference
> between Merge and VP/ix may not be as important as the differences between
> the various UNIXes as a whole, and that DOS under UNIX is one factor
> in a bigger equation.

I would say that the difference between Merge and VP/ix, at the
design level (as per my hazy memory), is as great as the difference
between MS-DOS and UNIX!  :-)

In terms of the differences between various UNIXes, the only trouble
I've ever encountered is with the half-baked attempts to merge BSD and
ATT philosophy and features.

As for general usability of VP/ix, I've had no problems, other than
the normal config problems with terminals and such, which one ususally
experiences with any application designed around the requirement for
dozens of function keys.  I have used MS-C to cross compile
applications, all from one makefile, using the UNIX make to drive
MS-C.  With care in the configuration, any DOS or UNIX commands can be
used at any time, regardless of the current environment.

The only compatability problem I've had was with MS-C 5.01 and VP/ix
1.01.00 under ISC's 386/ix 1.0.6.  But then the MS-C compiler has
compatability problems anyway, since it appears they use some weird
version of stdio, much different from the one in the supplied library.

If you truely believe that there are things you cannot do with UNIX to
do your day-to-day business, why are you trying to run UNIX?  If you
want to keep an existing investment of DOS hardware and software, why
not get a nice integrated network (such as Starlan) to tie things
together?  You don't have to worry about the impact of DOS under/over
UNIX, and your users each get individual workstations.
--
						Greg A. Woods

woods@{eci386,gate,robohack,ontmoh,tmsoft}.UUCP
+1-416-443-1734 [h]  +1-416-595-5425 [w]    VE3-TCP	Toronto, Ontario CANADA

src@scuzzy.mbx.sub.org (Heiko Blume) (09/15/90)

dmason@digi.lonestar.org (David Mason) writes:
>Somebody said that they both make the kernel bigger and take
>much RAM.  That doesnt surprise me.

you bet, when i run word 5.0 under vp/ix the process is about 2.6 MB,
that is, it uses 637 pages {just had a look}.
--
Heiko Blume c/o Diakite   blume@scuzzy.in-berlin.de   FAX   (+49 30) 882 50 65
Kottbusser Damm 28        blume@scuzzy.mbx.sub.org    VOICE (+49 30) 691 88 93

staff@cadlab.sublink.ORG (Alex Martelli) (09/16/90)

woods@eci386.uucp (Greg A. Woods) writes:
>If you truely believe that there are things you cannot do with UNIX to
>do your day-to-day business, why are you trying to run UNIX?  If you

The answer, in my case, is: I want to keep my Fidonet connection.  I
have not found any software that will allow a Fidonet "point" to run
under Unix, except a DOS emulator (...and not quite THAT, either...
I'm having problems with sending outgoing stuff... but I'm working on
that).  I must share the modem and phone line - duplicating everything,
including the computer, the modem and the line, would cost a BUNDLE.
I need Unix for Usenet/UUCP (I *could* wing it under Dos, but it's a
pain) as well as for every other sort of computing task.  The DOS
emulator also allows, as a convenience, to keep running DOS apps which
remain around, although indeed in most cases it's just a convenience.

--
Alex Martelli - CAD.LAB s.p.a., v. Stalingrado 45, Bologna, Italia
Email: (work:) staff@cadlab.sublink.org, (home:) alex@am.sublink.org

dmason@digi.lonestar.org (David Mason) (09/18/90)

In article <1990Sep14.165510.5532@eci386.uucp> woods@eci386.UUCP (Greg A. Woods) writes:

>If you truely believe that there are things you cannot do with UNIX to
>do your day-to-day business, why are you trying to run UNIX?  If you
>want to keep an existing investment of DOS hardware and software, why
>not get a nice integrated network (such as Starlan) to tie things
>together?  You don't have to worry about the impact of DOS under/over
>UNIX, and your users each get individual workstations.
>--
>						Greg A. Woods

Thanks for the info.  As to the above, if I thought DOS could do things
UNIX couldnt, you are right - it wouldnt be worth the money to buy UNIX.
I may not have mentioned this, but I am interested in putting together
a system for my own personal use.  UNIX is probably extravagant for this,
but I like it better.  At some point, I might want to do some moonlighting
in UNIX, but the odds of me ever doing much DOS development are pretty
slim.  However, I know I will need to run DOS applications, which leaves
three options:  You can run DOS under UNIX, maintain a separate partition
for DOS and switch when necessary, or find an old clunker PC and not worry
about running them on the same machine.  I prefer the first option,
mostly because its got more "gee whiz aint that neat" kind of appeal.
Sharing files and hardware to both systems would be really useful.
Compatability is very important.  I understand VGA graphics can be a
problem.  Cost is a very key factor here, also.  If VP/ix meets these
criteria and is more UNIX-like than Merge, that would be a point in its
favor to me.