[comp.unix.msdos] Looking to go Un*x on a 386... Advice wanted

khouglan@pima.intel.com (Kriss Hougland~) (09/23/90)

Greeting, I hope I don't start a flame war, but her it goes anyway....

I am looking to go to a Unix(tm) format instead of the next version of DOS.
I have looked at a few possibilities and talked to a few local people about
which "style" to buy.  I am looking for suggestions for my purchase or if I
should put off the purchase for some time.

I beefed up my outdated pc so I now have a 386 with 1 meg on board and 4 meg
on an extended card.  I am currently running with EGA, but I will be moving up
to SVGA (1024X768X256).  The systems also has a 80meg drive prestored to 150+
megs.

I am intrested in getting (hopefully my PC) to run a Un*x with X11 (R4) and
hopefully/eventually go with Motif ontop of X11. (Full developers)

Am I going to be fighting an already lost battle?

I have seen and did preliminary reading on:
SCO
MS Xenix
Intel Un*x (System V R3 real release and R4)
Coherent

Any suggestions are welcomed.  If you feel your suggestions are
great, post them!

Addresses:		!Disclaimer:  All information is my own and is not that
khouglan@hopi.intel.com ! my employer.   "Opportunity came knocking, but I was
askah@acvax.inre.asu.edu!                 in the bathroom."  (ME)

karl@wiliki.eng.hawaii.edu (Karl Ihrig) (09/23/90)

(Kriss Hougland) writes:
>I am looking to go to a Unix(tm) format

One question: What speed is your CPU?
I am running a Bell Tech AT386 at 16 MHz.  It is great on ascii text apps.

>Motif ontop of X11.

I wish I had a 25 or 33 MHz CPU so I could do that too.

>fighting lost battle?

There are times when I wish I had a BSD drived system, usually when
FTPing some great sounding source files from the Net only to find
out that my SysV 3.2 C compiler barfs on them. Very discouraging!

>Intel Un*x (System V R3 real release and R4)

You may remember Bell Tech was bought out by Intel,
thus my remarks may in some small way apply to Intel Unix.
karl...

john@karnak.uucp (John B. Meaders Jr.) (09/24/90)

In article <170@inews.intel.com> khouglan@pima.intel.com (Kriss Hougland~) writes:
>Greeting, I hope I don't start a flame war, but her it goes anyway....
>
>I am looking to go to a Unix(tm) format instead of the next version of DOS.

Try Esix.  I am running Esix 5.3.2 Rev D.  I have the unlimited version with
Development System.  You get TCP/IP, Streams, RFS, X11R3, Editing package (no
nroff,man, or troff though.  I use the text package from Xenix), and others.
I have had no problems with it and like the price, around $800 for my package.
Motif, NFS, and the documentation are extra.
--
John B. Meaders, Jr.
510 Manchester Ct., Hopewell, VA  23806