[comp.unix.msdos] C-shell doesn't handle dos file-systems

mdm@mondy.UUCP (Michael D. Mondy) (09/27/90)

In article <267@cadlab.sublink.ORG> staff@cadlab.sublink.ORG (Alex Martelli) writes:

>Another oddity, on 2nd disk.  Looking for some .ZIP archive I did a
>"ls *ZIP*" from Unix on the "mount -f DOS"-ed disk... and got the
>listing for a file called "4DOS" with a claimed name of "*ZIP*"!!!

   It appears that the c-shell is not properly expanding wildcards.  Your
mileage may vary; I've heard that different vendors are supplying different
versions of the c-shell.  Mine is from Dell.  My bourne shell does not have
this bug; I'd imagine your bourne shell is also ok.
   If I do a "ls" on a dos file system, I see what I would expect to see.
However, a "ls *" or an "echo *" will produce strange and wondrous results.
I suspect that the c-shell is reading the directory file when it should
be using the portable file-system routines documented in getdents(2) or
directory(3C).
   By the way, most of the bugs I've found have related to vp/ix. Does
anybody else think that ms-dos services win the award for buggiest subsystem?