[comp.unix.msdos] Problems with ODT-DOS

sralston@srwic.UUCP (Steve Ralston) (09/14/90)

I recently moved the home directories of all users on a SCO ODT 1.0 system
from [DEFAULT] /usr/$HOME directories to /usr/acct/$HOME.  The
directory /usr/acct is a mount point for a separate file system.

Everything went well, EXCEPT;  now when users start DOS from their
shell command line with `dos`, /config.sys does not appear to be
executed.  The mouse driver is not loaded, ansi.sys does not get
loaded, lastdrive doesn't get set, etc.  Everything worked fine before
moving users home directories to a separate file system.  If root
executes `dos`, all seems well; mouse driver gets loaded, ansi.sys, etc.

Suggestions, anyone?  Anybody else having any problems with Merge?
I've checked file perms, etc; no luck.
--
Steve Ralston						sralston@srwic.UUCP
235 N Zelta						voice: 316-686-2019

dag@fciva.FRANKLIN.COM (Daniel A. Graifer) (09/17/90)

I'm not sure how much Merge386 has changed, we're still running version 1.3.
Under that version, startup options such as which config.sys files are loaded
are stored in files in the /etc directory.  dosenv.def options are used when
starting the dos envirnment with a 'dos' command, dosapp.def is used when
starting dos programs from the unix command line.  These files can be read and
modified using the dosopt program (note that the -v option is required to
see anything).  Don't try to modify these files with an editor like vi.  The
dosopt program can also be used on individual dos programs, to change their
default behaviour when executed from unix (dos programs run from the dos
environment are not separate unix processes, and are unaffected by any changes
to their own dos execution header, or dosapp.def).

Good luck,
Dan
---
Daniel A. Graifer			Franklin Mortgage Capital Corporation
uunet!fciva!dag				7900 Westpark Drive, Suite A130
(703)448-3300				McLean, VA  22102
--
Daniel A. Graifer			Franklin Mortgage Capital Corporation
uunet!dag@fmccva.franklin.com		7900 Westpark Drive, Suite A130

erc@pai.UUCP (Eric Johnson) (09/27/90)

In article <187@srwic.UUCP>, sralston@srwic.UUCP (Steve Ralston) writes:
> I recently moved the home directories of all users on a SCO ODT 1.0 system
> from [DEFAULT] /usr/$HOME directories to /usr/acct/$HOME.  The
> directory /usr/acct is a mount point for a separate file system.
> Everything went well, EXCEPT;  now when users start DOS from their
> shell command line with `dos`, /config.sys does not appear to be
> executed.  The mouse driver is not loaded, ansi.sys does not get
> loaded, lastdrive doesn't get set, etc.  Everything worked fine before
> moving users home directories to a separate file system.  If root
> executes `dos`, all seems well; mouse driver gets loaded, ansi.sys, etc.
>
> Suggestions, anyone?  Anybody else having any problems with Merge?
> I've checked file perms, etc; no luck.
> Steve Ralston						sralston@srwic.UUCP
> 235 N Zelta						voice: 316-686-2019
> Wichita, KS 67206			..!uunet!ncrlnk!ncrwic!srwic!sralston

My users (me) are in a /u file system. I've always put my
DOS autoexec.bat and config.sys in my home directory and they seem
to work just fine. That is, in /u/username (where username is
the user's home directory). So, each user has a copy of
autoexec.bat and config.sys.

If your config.sys is in /, and I assume your root home directory
is /, the fact that root runs DOS fine seems to bear out my
theory.

Try copying your config.sys, et al. to each user's home directory.
I'm sure you wanted a system-wide default set up for your users,
so this may not be the best of solutions.

By the way, has anyone been able to run microsoft windows 3.0 under
DOS under SCO OpenDesktop? I'd love to be able to do this, but realize
that windows may not want to live under Merge 386.

Hope this helps,
-Eric

--
Eric F. Johnson               phone: +1 612 894 0313    BTI: Industrial
Boulware Technologies, Inc.   fax:   +1 612 894 0316    automation systems

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (09/29/90)

In article <1452@pai.UUCP> erc@pai.UUCP (Eric Johnson) writes:
>By the way, has anyone been able to run microsoft windows 3.0 under
>DOS under SCO OpenDesktop? I'd love to be able to do this, but realize
>that windows may not want to live under Merge 386.

Installed it without much problem.  I installed it to /u/windows,
put /u/windows in my PATH, and it runs more or less.  Mouse (on a
8-port card) emulations works perfectly.  Comms programs barf at
high speeds, but what's new?

The Microsoft extended memory manager doesn't work,
and of course Microsoft had to change the EMS standard,
so Merge's EMS isn't any use.  Perhaps the next Merge
will handle Microsoft EMS.

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX          ...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf
Author of YMODEM, ZMODEM, Professional-YAM, ZCOMM, and DSZ
  Omen Technology Inc    "The High Reliability Software"
17505-V NW Sauvie IS RD   Portland OR 97231   503-621-3406
TeleGodzilla:621-3746 FAX:621-3735 CIS:70007,2304 Genie:CAF