[comp.unix.msdos] vpix under x11r4 under 386/ix 2.02

ejm@coyote.uucp (E.J. McKernan) (09/19/90)

I am running a 386 clone with 8M RAM and ISC 2.0.2. We also have
Tom Roell's X11R4 IBM vga server online. My question is: How
does one or has anyone got vpix to work in an xterm window?
Does ISC X11 support vpix in an xterm window?

Thanks for any help.
ejm
   /|_|\   Datalog Consulting, Tucson, AZ
  ( . . )  ejm@coyote.uucp
   \   /   ejm%coyote@arizona.edu

garyb@gallium.UUCP (Gary Blumenstein) (09/21/90)

In article <1990Sep19.070953.815@coyote.uucp> ejm@coyote.UUCP (E.J. McKernan) writes:
>I am running a 386 clone with 8M RAM and ISC 2.0.2. We also have
>Tom Roell's X11R4 IBM vga server online. My question is: How
>does one or has anyone got vpix to work in an xterm window?
>Does ISC X11 support vpix in an xterm window?

I beleive the emulation must support scan codes in order to run VP/ix.
That's why ISC supplies xpcterm.  I use it here and it works fine under
ISC's Xvga and Xv256 servers for X11R3.  Century Software's xterm replacement
probably does the same however, I'm not whether either of these run under
Tom Roell's X11R4 server.  Anyone want to comment?

-gb
--
Gary M. Blumenstein
garyb@gallium

hoepfner@usun01.UUCP (Andreas Hoepfner) (09/24/90)

In <1990Sep19.070953.815@coyote.uucp> ejm@coyote.uucp (E.J. McKernan) writes:

>I am running a 386 clone with 8M RAM and ISC 2.0.2. We also have
>Tom Roell's X11R4 IBM vga server online. My question is: How
>does one or has anyone got vpix to work in an xterm window?
>Does ISC X11 support vpix in an xterm window?

 You have to run XPCTERM (/usr/bin/X11) to emulate a *DOS* window
 under X11 and start vpix in this window. *MOST* things run fine,
 and you can use the DOS funktion keys......

 Hope this helps,

		 Andreas (:-)

tim@delluk.uucp (Tim Wright) (09/26/90)

In <90@usun01.UUCP> hoepfner@usun01.UUCP (Andreas Hoepfner) writes:

>In <1990Sep19.070953.815@coyote.uucp> ejm@coyote.uucp (E.J. McKernan) writes:

>>I am running a 386 clone with 8M RAM and ISC 2.0.2. We also have
>>Tom Roell's X11R4 IBM vga server online. My question is: How
>>does one or has anyone got vpix to work in an xterm window?
>>Does ISC X11 support vpix in an xterm window?

> You have to run XPCTERM (/usr/bin/X11) to emulate a *DOS* window
> under X11 and start vpix in this window. *MOST* things run fine,
> and you can use the DOS funktion keys......

> Hope this helps,

>		 Andreas (:-)

Not strictly true. VP/ix runs on a number of ASCII terminals which feature
neither scancode ability, nor full PC graphics (e.g. DEC vt100). Since xterm
is only a vt100 in disguise, you should be able to run VP/ix in an xterm
window by saying it is a vt100 (or if you prefer, create the necessary VP/ix
config files to drive the xterm). The advantages of xpcterm are a true PC
font (both in terms of graphics characters and font styling). I don't know
about scancode emulation - it's certainly reasonable to do, but I never looked.
The function keys are emulated by ESC-1 ... on ASCII terminals.

Tim
--
Tim Wright, Dell Computer Corp. (UK) | Email address
Dell Computer Corp. (UK), Bracknell  | Domain: tim@dell.co.uk

savage@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Metallica Rules) (09/27/90)

In article <1990Sep19.070953.815@coyote.uucp> ejm@coyote.UUCP (E.J. McKernan) writes:
>I am running a 386 clone with 8M RAM and ISC 2.0.2. We also have
>Tom Roell's X11R4 IBM vga server online. My question is: How
>does one or has anyone got vpix to work in an xterm window?
>Does ISC X11 support vpix in an xterm window?

I am in my dos partition at the moment, so cannot look directly.  But having
your termcap defined as AT386, or not using xterm, but atterm or something
similer got rid of my problem.  I was able to use the function keys and
everthing else.  Hope this helps.  If not, tell me and I will open
my unix partition and look to see what the fix was.

Chuck
savage%tigger@boulder.colorado.edu

pim@cti-software.nl (Pim Zandbergen) (09/28/90)

garyb@gallium.UUCP (Gary Blumenstein) writes:

>In article <1990Sep19.070953.815@coyote.uucp> ejm@coyote.UUCP (E.J. McKernan) writes:
>>I am running a 386 clone with 8M RAM and ISC 2.0.2. We also have
>>Tom Roell's X11R4 IBM vga server online. My question is: How
>>does one or has anyone got vpix to work in an xterm window?
>>Does ISC X11 support vpix in an xterm window?

>I beleive the emulation must support scan codes in order to run VP/ix.

VP/ix also supports non-scancode terminals. The problem is,
that even though TERM is not set to AT386, VP/ix still insists
on using the console interface, which fails on this server in a regular
xterm.
--
Pim Zandbergen                          domain : pim@cti-software.nl
CTI Software BV                         uucp   : uunet!mcsun!hp4nl!ctisbv!pim

roell@informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Thomas Roell) (10/01/90)

>Not strictly true. VP/ix runs on a number of ASCII terminals which feature
>neither scancode ability, nor full PC graphics (e.g. DEC vt100). Since xterm
>is only a vt100 in disguise, you should be able to run VP/ix in an xterm
>window by saying it is a vt100 (or if you prefer, create the necessary VP/ix
>config files to drive the xterm).

I think you are very near to the real problem. I thought, that it should be
easy, to let vpix run under a normal xterm. If you choose a vt100 emulation,
a IBM-PC compatible fonts (yes there is one available) and hack a file for
the scan-code emulation, everything should be okay. Well, but theres a little
problem: There are two modes for vpix to run: On a terminal or one console.
If it runs on the console, vpix make some ioctl's to /dev/vt??. Some of them
must fail, if an other programm (here our X-server) owns this device already.
This would be no problem, if vpix would recognice, that it runs not on the
console directly and instead handle the I/O like on a serial terminal.
But vpix recoginces a terminal only, if the calling shell runs on a /dev/tty??.

Perhaps Interactive could give me some hints, how to work aroud this bug...

>The advantages of xpcterm are a true PC
>font (both in terms of graphics characters and font styling). I don't know
>about scancode emulation-it's certainly reasonable to do, but I never looked.
>The function keys are emulated by ESC-1 ... on ASCII terminals.

I think xterm is much better, cause never versions of xterm can now even handle
color.

- Thomas
Mail:                    Thomas Roell (c/o Daniel Hernandez)
                         Inst. f. Informatik / Technische Universitaet M"unchen
                         Arcisstr. 21 / 8000 Munich 2 / Fed.Rep. of Germany
E-Mail (domain):	 roell@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de
UUCP (when above fails): roell@tumult.{uucp | informatik.tu-muenchen.de}