[comp.unix.msdos] VGA cards and $HOME/vpix/vpix.cnf

dag@gorgon.uucp (Daniel A. Glasser) (10/10/90)

I've got a Cardinal VGA (500) on a '386 box, and I've tried following the
advice often given here that if you want to use an SVGA card with VPIX
you should simply comment out the VGAROM line of $HOME/vpix/vpix.cnf and
it will use the BIOS in the VGA.  Well, I've tried that under VPIX 1.02.00
with ISC 2.2 and whatever version of VPIX came with ISC 2.0.2, and in both
cases it doesn't work at all.  The screen goes blank and makes an awful
noise (I assume the monitor is trying to sync to something) and I am forced
to kill the VPIX job from another virtual terminal.  Is this just a problem
with my VGA card, or is there something else I've got to do?

Replies via e-mail will be appreciated, but post if you must.

Thanks in advance...
						Daniel A. Glasser
--
Daniel A. Glasser                       One of those things that goes
dag%gorgon@persoft.com                  "BUMP! (ouch!)" in the night.

gary@ke4zv.UUCP (Gary Coffman) (10/13/90)

In article <1990Oct09.221756.24515@gorgon.uucp> dag@gorgon.uucp (Daniel A. Glasser) writes:
>I've got a Cardinal VGA (500) on a '386 box, and I've tried following the
>advice often given here that if you want to use an SVGA card with VPIX
>you should simply comment out the VGAROM line of $HOME/vpix/vpix.cnf and
>it will use the BIOS in the VGA.  Well, I've tried that under VPIX 1.02.00
>with ISC 2.2 and whatever version of VPIX came with ISC 2.0.2, and in both
>cases it doesn't work at all.  The screen goes blank and makes an awful
>noise (I assume the monitor is trying to sync to something) and I am forced
>to kill the VPIX job from another virtual terminal.  Is this just a problem
>with my VGA card, or is there something else I've got to do?

My problem is even more severe in that I can't regain control from another
terminal and must reset. The SVGA I have is a Paradise 1024i with 512k
ram. I've tried commenting out the VGAROM line and when that failed, I
pulled a copy of the rombios out of the SVGA with DOS Debug and repointed
the VGAROM entry to that file. Didn't work either. The card works fine under
DOS, Unix, and X, but not under VPIX. Anybody get this working?

Gary