[comp.unix.msdos] Windows 3.0 bombs on startup under VP/ix 1.1

shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) (10/22/90)

	It's been my understanding that earlier versions of Windows were
runnable under VP/ix. Though I'm running a little low on memory (4 MB) on
this platform, decided to fire it up from a mounted filesystem (/dos).
Upon startup, confronted the error:

		General protection fault, cannot emulate instruction

	While I work out my upgrade option, can anyone offer any comments
or suggestions?

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) (10/22/90)

shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) writes:
> 	It's been my understanding that earlier versions of Windows were
> runnable under VP/ix. Though I'm running a little low on memory (4 MB) on
> this platform, decided to fire it up from a mounted filesystem (/dos).
> Upon startup, confronted the error:
>
> 		General protection fault, cannot emulate instruction

Well, I haven't actually done any testing or anything, but I'd bet the
problem goes something like this:

Unix is an OS that runs in the 386's protected mode.  Windows 3.0,
usually, is an OS that runs in the 386's protected mode.  When you
start up a VP/ix session under Unix, you're creating a virtual 8086,
not a virtual 80386.  So, when Windows 3.0 tries to execute its 386
instructions, it fails the same way it would if you tried to run it on
a regular XT clone -- with an "illegal instruction" error.  (Except,
on the XT, you'd get a nice system crash.  On the 80386, you get a
core dump.)

The solution to this is to run Windows in "real mode".  There should
be a command-line switch for this, but I don't have Windows 3.0 so I
can't check.  Either that, or wait for the 80686, which will hopefully
have a virtual 80386 mode.

--
Marc Unangst               |
mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us  | "Bus error: passengers dumped"

bent@lccinc.UUCP (Ben Taylor) (10/22/90)

shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) writes:

>	It's been my understanding that earlier versions of Windows were
>runnable under VP/ix. Though I'm running a little low on memory (4 MB) on
>this platform, decided to fire it up from a mounted filesystem (/dos).
>Upon startup, confronted the error:

>		General protection fault, cannot emulate instruction

>	While I work out my upgrade option, can anyone offer any comments
>or suggestions?

We too have tried various approaches with Windows 3.0 and had no success.
Upon calling microsoft and discussing the problem with a technical support
representative, he shed some light on the Windows 3.0 product.

Essentially, Windows 3.0 is an operating system itself.  Even if you try
to run in real mode (win/r) it still tries to allocate the system resources
like memory and devices and this is where the problem occurs.  Unless
microsoft comes out with a Windows which does not try to be an operating
system, it is unlikely that any dos emulation under unix/xenix will work
with Windows 3.0 any time soon.  I even tried setting up Windows 3.0
on an 8086, and a 80286 to see if it would fix the problem.  It didn't.

It is a shame, Windows 3.0 is a nice product.  Would've been a lot nice
if I didn't have to shut down Xenix to get it to run right.

Ben Taylor
Systems Administator		uunet!lccinc!bent
LCC, Inc.
(202) 828-5550, x642