[comp.unix.msdos] X and VP/ix

smb@datran2.uunet (Steven M. Boker) (10/18/90)

I was wondering if any had managed to get VP/ix running under the
X11 shipped with ESIX.  VP/ix runs just fine from a terminal, but
when I put up X and try to run VP/ix I get a couple of messages
and then my keyboard is disconnected from that xterm.

Couldn't set kbd INTTYPE
Press Enter to Continue

Can't set scan mode in kbd
Press Enter to Continue

I press enter like a good little creature and VP/ix comes up
looking normal, but now the keyboard is disconnected from that
xterm window.

I beleive that I need a /usr/vpix/term/xterm to run correctly.
Or maybe not.  Anyone have the correct incantation here?

Steve.

--
 #====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#
 #  Steve Boker                # Chaotheist: Believer in the god Chaos -OED #

smb@datran2.uunet (Steven M. Boker) (10/20/90)

In article <468@datran2.uunet>, smb@datran2.uunet (Steven M. Boker) writes:

> I was wondering if any had managed to get VP/ix running under the
> X11 shipped with ESIX.  VP/ix runs just fine from a terminal, but
> when I put up X and try to run VP/ix I get a couple of messages
> and then my keyboard is disconnected from that xterm.

A couple of requests for summaries, so here goes...

Just spent some time on the horn with ESIX.  Next rev is sys V 4.0 and
X11R4 due in February.  This version will support VP/ix.  Current version
does not support VP/ix and the problem is in the kernal.  X11R3 from
ESIX will most likely not be fixed to support VP/ix.  Its wait or nothing.
Also sys V 3.2 rev D will not support X11R4.  You will have to migrate
to sys V 4.0 to get X11R4.

Also, I have been told that interactive unix runs X and VP/ix with no
conflict.

Steve.

--
 #====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#
 #  Steve Boker                #    Algorist: Adept at calculations -OED    #

tim@ggumby.cs.caltech.edu (Timothy L. Kay) (10/21/90)

smb@datran2.uunet (Steven M. Boker) writes:

>Just spent some time on the horn with ESIX.  Next rev is sys V 4.0 and
>X11R4 due in February.  This version will support VP/ix.  Current version
>does not support VP/ix and the problem is in the kernal.  X11R3 from
>ESIX will most likely not be fixed to support VP/ix.  Its wait or nothing.
>Also sys V 3.2 rev D will not support X11R4.  You will have to migrate
>to sys V 4.0 to get X11R4.

This sounds good.  Suppose I own Interactive Unix 2.2, and I want to
upgrade to Esix.  Can I use the VP/ix that I currently own with Esix,
or do I have to get an upgrade.  There are two issues here.  First,
will my VP/ix 2.2 run under Esix, and second will it run under Sys V.4?

>Also, I have been told that interactive unix runs X and VP/ix with no
>conflict.

Yes it does, but it only works in text mode.  Some systems like a
Sun 386i can actually show CGA and HGC graphics under their window
system.  Also, you can only get 24 lines and have to use the line
toggle to see the 25th (eventhough it is simple to create a 25-line
xterm).

Tim

smb@datran2.uunet (Steven M. Boker) (10/23/90)

In article <tim.656461459@ggumby>, tim@ggumby.cs.caltech.edu (Timothy L. Kay) writes:

> This sounds good.  Suppose I own Interactive Unix 2.2, and I want to
> upgrade to Esix.  Can I use the VP/ix that I currently own with Esix,
> or do I have to get an upgrade.  There are two issues here.  First,
> will my VP/ix 2.2 run under Esix, and second will it run under Sys V.4?

1. Your VP/ix from interactive will run under the current version of
Esix.  Just not under the X windows.
2. I have been told by the tech support staff at Esix that your VP/ix
will run under the Sys V.4 release in February and that X11R4 will
run VP/ix at that time.

Hope that helps.

Steve.

--
 #====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#

richard@xanth.ingr.com (Richard Griffiths ) (10/23/90)

L. Kay) writes:

|> > This sounds good.  Suppose I own Interactive Unix 2.2, and I want to
|> > upgrade to Esix.  Can I use the VP/ix that I currently own with Esix,
|> > or do I have to get an upgrade.  There are two issues here.  First,
|> > will my VP/ix 2.2 run under Esix, and second will it run under Sys V.4?
|> >

|> 1. Your VP/ix from interactive will run under the current version of
	a caveat here folks.  Esix does not support the Virtual Device
	Interface that VP/ix uses for Direct Device Attachment. The VDI
	driver is in Interactive's kernel.  The Esix people tell me
	Simultask, AT&T's version of VP/ix, comes with the VDI driver. I
	haven't saved enough drachmas to purchase it, so I can't confirm
	this.  Simultask is also a release or two behind VP/ix.

#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#
|>  #  Steve Boker                #    Algorist: Adept at calculations
-OED    #
|>  #  datran2!smb@uunet.uu.net   #           En Chaos Veritas  -SMB
#

#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#

Richard A. Griffiths              ...uunet!ingr!b11!xanth!richard   (UUCP)
Intergraph Corp.                  richard@b11.ingr.com          (Internet)
"Part of this D minus belongs to God."  - Bart Simpson

pozar@kumr.UUCP (Tim Pozar) (10/24/90)

In article <tim.656461459@ggumby> tim@ggumby.cs.caltech.edu (Timothy L. Kay) writes:
>This sounds good.  Suppose I own Interactive Unix 2.2, and I want to
>upgrade to Esix.  Can I use the VP/ix that I currently own with Esix,
>or do I have to get an upgrade.  There are two issues here.  First,
>will my VP/ix 2.2 run under Esix,
   (2.2??) My copy of VP/ix (ver 1.2) runs fine under ESIX.  The only thing
it doesn't support at this time is the mouse.  I have been told by ESIX
that they are looking into this and hope to have a fix.  ESIX is also
distributing a fix to Rev. D, so VP/ix will run under windows.

>and second will it run under Sys V.4?
   Don't know that one yet...

                         Tim
---
  uunet!hoptoad!kumr!pozar Fido: 1:125/555 PaBell: (415) 788-3904
    USNail:  KKSF-FM / 77 Maiden Lane /  San Francisco CA 94108
"The nice thing about standards is that you have so many to choose from.
Futhermore, if you don't like any of them, you can just wait for next
year's model."
-- Andrew S. Tanenbaum, "Computer Networks" (4.7.1)