[comp.unix.msdos] VP/ix & Open Access & MS-Word

ralfi@pemstgt.PEM-Stuttgart.de (Ralf Holighaus) (11/10/90)

We are running vp/ix on a customer system. when running ms-word or
open access under vp/ix, everything's fine except when we are trying
to create new files.

We get the message 'disk full' or something like this. Of course, there
is enough room on the disk, and the used directory is writeable for the
vp/ix user.

Does anybody has similar problems and maybe even solutions...?
--
| Programmentwicklung   fuer    Microcomputer  |     Ralf U. Holighaus      |
| PO-Box 810165          Vaihinger Strasse 49  |     >> PEM Support <<      |

johnl@iecc.cambridge.ma.us (John R. Levine) (11/12/90)

The bogus "disk full" problem is a well-known bug in Word 5.0.  Apparently
it appears with many network file systems.  (Under vp/ix, native unix files
appear to DOS to be connected via a very short network.)  Microsoft has a
patch disk available for the asking that disables the disk space check.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl@iecc.cambridge.ma.us, {spdcc|ima|world}!esegue!johnl

janm@dramba.neis.oz (Jan Mikkelsen) (11/13/90)

In article <1990Nov09.204706.21983@pemstgt.PEM-Stuttgart.de> ralfi@pemstgt.PEM-Stuttgart.de (Ralf Holighaus) writes:

>We get the message 'disk full' or something like this. Of course, there
>is enough room on the disk, and the used directory is writeable for the
>vp/ix user.
>
>Does anybody has similar problems and maybe even solutions...?
>--
>| Programmentwicklung   fuer    Microcomputer  |     Ralf U. Holighaus      |
>| PO-Box 810165          Vaihinger Strasse 49  |     >> PEM Support <<      |
>| D-7000 Stuttgart 80            West Germany  | holighaus@PEM-Stuttgart.de |
>| VOICE: x49-711-713045  FAX: x49-7021-713047  | ..!unido!pemstgt!ralfi     |

This is fixed in the latest release of VP/ix.  The problem is that MS-Word
uses a DOS function call to find the amount of free space on a file system;
this was not working correctly on VP/ix.

--
Jan Mikkelsen
janm@dramba.neis.oz.AU or janm%dramba.neis.oz@metro.ucc.su.oz.au