[comp.unix.msdos] Color xpcterm

misko@abhg.UUCP (William Miskovetz) (11/25/90)

Does anyone know if there is a color xpcterm available?  It would
be nice to be able to run Turbo Debugger and the Turbo IDE under
xpcterm, and yet still get the different colors.  Perhaps there is
a way with the current xpcterm, but I can't find it.

If anyone knows of a way to get color "text" DOS programs to work
in color under xpcterm, I'd appreciate the assistance.  Thanks.

Bill Miskovetz
{uunet!lll-winken, apple!mathworks}!abhg!misko
misko@mathworks.com
abhg!misko@lll-winken.llnl.gov

johnl@iecc.cambridge.ma.us (John R. Levine) (11/26/90)

In article <310@abhg.UUCP> misko@abhg.UUCP (William Miskovetz) writes:
>Does anyone know if there is a color xpcterm available?

The xpcterm shipped with ISC 2.2 does in fact support color.  It accepts the
same escape codes as the AT386 console driver, though the terminfo
description they ship for xpcterm doesn't mention them.  Try setting your
TERM type to AT386.

Some of the colors are so close to each other (cyan and white, particularly)
that they are hard to read, though you should be able to fix that by setting
resources appropriately.  Also, it draws color screens comsiderably slower
than black and white.
--
John R. Levine, IECC, POB 349, Cambridge MA 02238, +1 617 864 9650
johnl@iecc.cambridge.ma.us, {ima|spdcc|world}!iecc!johnl

misko@abhg.UUCP (William Miskovetz) (11/27/90)

In article <1990Nov25.180609.2799@iecc.cambridge.ma.us>, johnl@iecc.cambridge.ma.us (John R. Levine) writes:
> The xpcterm shipped with ISC 2.2 does in fact support color.  It accepts the
> same escape codes as the AT386 console driver, though the terminfo
> description they ship for xpcterm doesn't mention them.  Try setting your
> TERM type to AT386.

This isn't quite what I'm looking for.  I'm running vpix in an xpcterm
window.  I want text that is in color in vpix to be color in the xpcterm
window.  If I run the same application from it's own vt, the color works
fine, but xpcterm seems to emulate a monochrome PC display.

johnl@iecc.cambridge.ma.us (John R. Levine) (11/27/90)

In article <311@abhg.UUCP> you write:
>In article <1990Nov25.180609.2799@iecc.cambridge.ma.us>, johnl@iecc.cambridge.ma.us (John R. Levine) writes:
>> The xpcterm shipped with ISC 2.2 does in fact support color....
>
>This isn't quite what I'm looking for.  I'm running vpix in an xpcterm
>window.  I want text that is in color in vpix to be color in the xpcterm
>window. ...

It appears to be a vp/ix limitation.  If you could persuade vp/ix to send
the appropriate escape codes, xpcterm would be happy to display in colors.
From reading the vp/ix manual and from some experimentation, it appears that
there's no way to tell vp/ix to send color information to a terminal other
than a direct-mapped PC console.  Bummer.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl@iecc.cambridge.ma.us, {spdcc|ima|world}!iecc!johnl
--

dma@pcssc.com (Dave Armbrust) (11/28/90)

In article <9011262235.AA24745@iecc.cambridge.ma.us> johnl@iecc.cambridge.ma.us (John R. Levine) writes:
>In article <311@abhg.UUCP> you write:
>>In article <1990Nov25.180609.2799@iecc.cambridge.ma.us>, johnl@iecc.cambridge.ma.us (John R. Levine) writes:
>>> The xpcterm shipped with ISC 2.2 does in fact support color....
>>
>>This isn't quite what I'm looking for.  I'm running vpix in an xpcterm
>>window.  I want text that is in color in vpix to be color in the xpcterm
>>window. ...
>
>It appears to be a vp/ix limitation.  If you could persuade vp/ix to send
>the appropriate escape codes, xpcterm would be happy to display in colors.
>From reading the vp/ix manual and from some experimentation, it appears that
>there's no way to tell vp/ix to send color information to a terminal other
>than a direct-mapped PC console.  Bummer.

There must be someway this can be done as I have already seen it done.
The product is called the Un-Terminal which is basically a 'console'
look-a-like.  With this 'terminal'  you set TERM=ansi and it works great
in full color and it is also full graphics.  For an EGA version it
cost only about $700 per terminal including multi-port board.  (BTW they
also have VGA and monocrome versions).  I have personally setup a 6 user
all color/graphics system with vp/ix using theses 'un-terminals'.  BTW
alt-F1 through alt-F10 also works just like the console!  You really can
not tell these terminals from the console unless you look at the tty numbers!

Dave Armbrust               |     uunet!pcssc!dma
PC Software Systems         |     dma@pcssc.com
2121 Cornell Street         |     Phone: (813)365-1162
Sarasota, FL 34237          |

Closing the barn door when a dead gift horse is in
mid-stream won't make him drink.

johnl@iecc.cambridge.ma.us (John R. Levine) (11/29/90)

In article <1990Nov27.232342.4426@pcssc.com> dma@pcssc.com (Dave Armbrust) writes:
>[re wanting color under vp/ix on an xpcterm:]
>>From reading the vp/ix manual and from some experimentation, it appears that
>>there's no way to tell vp/ix to send color information to a terminal other
>>than a direct-mapped PC console.  Bummer.

>There must be someway this can be done as I have already seen it done.
>The product is called the Un-Terminal which is basically a 'console'
>look-a-like.

Indeed, it looks so much like the console that vp/ix can treat it as a
direct-mapped PC console, and can write directly to the screen memory.
There are several sources for such things, SunRiver makes one as well.

The original question was whether it was possible to have vp/ix send color
info to a serial terminal such as xpcterm emulates, and the answer appears
still to be no.  Still a bummer.