[comp.unix.msdos] extracting ".arc" and ".zip" files

tdwebste@ccng.waterloo.edu ( vapid nihility) (12/14/90)

 	Can I extract ".arc" and ".zip" files from within Unix.
The files I wish to extract came from wuarchive.wustl.edu, "an msdos
archive site". I am really only interest in source code, but I
have no idea how to obtain source code for the msdos operating
system. At this stage dos appears to be the best approach, because it
enables effective use of low power hardware reducing the cost of my
project. I plan to program a very simple Point of Sale Terminal, which
utilise existing dbase and worksheet programs as much as possible.

I has been about 5 years since I have been in the PC game. For most
application I program, which are in Unix, there seems to be an enormous
bases of public source code to begin from.

-Tim.

stokes@apple-gunkies.ai.mit.edu (Perry Stokes) (12/14/90)

In article <1990Dec14.061608.21260@ccng.waterloo.edu> tdwebste@ccng.waterloo.edu (                          vapid nihility) writes:

> 	Can I extract ".arc" and ".zip" files from within Unix.
>The files I wish to extract came from wuarchive.wustl.edu, "an msdos
>archive site". I am really only interest in source code, but I
>have no idea how to obtain source code for the msdos operating
>system. At this stage dos appears to be the best approach, because it
>enables effective use of low power hardware reducing the cost of my
>project. I plan to program a very simple Point of Sale Terminal, which
>utilise existing dbase and worksheet programs as much as possible.
>
>I has been about 5 years since I have been in the PC game. For most
>application I program, which are in Unix, there seems to be an enormous
>bases of public source code to begin from.
>
>-Tim.

FTP to 128.174.5.59 (login anonymous).  This site has a fully working
arc program as well as something that will undo PKZIP files.

If you don't have FTP access from your site, let me know via E-mail
and I'll send the files your way...

Perry

--
-----