[comp.unix.msdos] VP/ix and DR DOS 5.0

moeller@informatik.uni-kl.de (Henning Moeller AG Hagen) (11/22/90)

Hey there,

I've got a problem accessing my DR DOS partition (60 MB) from VP/ix. Is there
anyone having done so? Or will I have to reformat my DOS partition with
MS DOS 3.3?? :-((

Bye,
     Henning Moeller.

bondi@dri.com (Bob Bondi) (12/04/90)

In article <7222@uklirb.informatik.uni-kl.de> moeller@informatik.uni-kl.de (Henning Moeller AG Hagen) writes:
>Hey there,
>
>I've got a problem accessing my DR DOS partition (60 MB) from VP/ix. Is there
>anyone having done so? Or will I have to reformat my DOS partition with
>MS DOS 3.3?? :-((

I would suggest you check with VP/ix and see if the version you have
supports the COMPACQ 3.31 method of creating and accessing partions.
There are lots of older versions of software (Spinright being one) that
will not be able to use the larger partions, simply due to design.
If you feel you have the correct level of s/w give DR tech support a
call.

nbladt@aut.autelca.ascom.ch (Norbert Bladt) (12/17/90)

bondi@dri.com (Bob Bondi) writes:

>In article <7222@uklirb.informatik.uni-kl.de> moeller@informatik.uni-kl.de (Henning Moeller AG Hagen) writes:
>>Hey there,
>>
>>I've got a problem accessing my DR DOS partition (60 MB) from VP/ix. Is there
>>anyone having done so? Or will I have to reformat my DOS partition with
>>MS DOS 3.3?? :-((
>>

>I would suggest you check with VP/ix and see if the version you have
>supports the COMPACQ 3.31 method of creating and accessing partions.
Our version of VP/ix does not support partitions larger than 32MB.
This VP/ix came with ISC 2.2 and there is a fixdisk for it. We didn't
receive it, yet. However, I think that this fix was done to support
running MS-Windows 3.0 in real mode.

In fact, the current version we have doesn't even support more than one DOS
partition per harddisk drive !
Don't use ISC's fdisk to create more than one DOS partition. It will
let you do it but it will create multiple primary DOS partitions !!!

BTW: The restrictions for VP/ix are mentioned in the ISC manual !
But, the text printed is not very good and misleading. It reads like:
	Disk formatted with DOS 4.0x are not recognized by VP/ix.
That is not right in two cases:
	1. COMPAQ-DOS 3.31 supports partitions larger than 32 MB.
	   This is not supported by VP/ix.
	2. You can create partitions with less than or equal to 32 MB
	   with DOS 4.0x and still access those with VP/ix.
	   Of course, my comments regarding number of partitions per disk,
	   etc. apply here.

[ rest of the text from bondi@dri.com (Bob Bondi) deleted because it misses
  the point. ]

Hope this helps,

Norbert Bladt.
--
Norbert Bladt, Ascom Autelca AG, Worbstr. 201, CH-3073 Guemligen, Switzerland
Phone: +41 31 52 92 14