[comp.unix.msdos] VP/ix and Windows 3.0. It works but ....

stb@isbank.is (stb) (12/11/90)

OS:       Interactive Unix v2.2
Computer: Tandon 386/33 with 8MB memory

I just got my VP/ix upgrade (v1.2.01) which is supposed to allow me to
run Windows 3.0.  I installed Windows 3.0 and .... It worked.

I then tried to run Excel but got "Not enough memory to run Microsoft Excel".
I checked how much memory was free and it said 133k free.  (I am
attached to a Netware/386 server).  "Ok" I thought "I will just start the
expaned memory manager (pemm.sys) and restart VP/ix.".  I put a
device=pemm.sys s60 in my config.sys and restarted VP/ix and Windows 3.0.
Now Windows said it had 248k free memory and 368 free expanded memory
(using Large Frame buffer).  Excel started ok but when I tried to access
the menus it crashed with a "SYSTEM ERROR.  TERMINATING CURRENT APPLICATION".
II tried running Word for Windows and it crashed with the same message.

I the tried to use ems.sys and put a "device=ems.sys s60" in my config.sys
and started Windows 3.0.
Now windows said it had only 193k free and it didn't report any expanded
memory.
(I also had the same problems with Windows 2)

The question is :

  Is it possible to use expanded memory with Windows 3.0 in VP/ix ?

  If so, how do you do it ?

If anyone has an answer then please help me out.  I am tired of having to
reboot my computer and run MS-DOS to use Windows.

Steintor
--
Steinthor Bjarnason       Internet: stb@isbank.is
Islandsbanki h.f.         UUCP:     {mcsun,sunic,uunet}!isgate!isbank.is!stb

betz@marob.uucp (Tom Betz) (12/14/90)

Quoth stb@isbank.is (stb) in <641@isbank.is>:
|OS:       Interactive Unix v2.2
|Computer: Tandon 386/33 with 8MB memory
|
|  Is it possible to use expanded memory with Windows 3.0 in VP/ix ?

I suspect the problem you are having is the one I have heard
reported elsewhere;  Windows, and probably Excel, looks at its
environment to decide what CPU it is running on, no matter what
command line switches you have used to invoke it, and automatically
calls different code if it is running on a 286 or 386.  Unfortunately,
VP/ix is only capable of handling 8086 opcodes, and if handed 286
or 386 opcodes, will crash and burn.  I suspect that this, and
not expanded memory problems, is what you are running up against.

--
Tom Betz -- GBS  -- 914-375-1510
betz@marob.uucp%phri.nyu.edu uunet!rutgers!phri!marob!upaya!tbetz

erast1@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Evan R Aussenberg) (12/18/90)

In article <27680CD6.885@marob.uucp> betz@marob.uucp (Tom Betz) writes:
>Quoth stb@isbank.is (stb) in <641@isbank.is>:
||OS:       Interactive Unix v2.2
||Computer: Tandon 386/33 with 8MB memory
||  Is it possible to use expanded memory with Windows 3.0 in VP/ix ?
|
|Windows, and probably Excel, looks at its
|environment to decide what CPU it is running on...
|Unfortunately, VP/ix is only capable of handling 8086 opcodes,
|and if handed 286 or 386 opcodes, will crash and burn.
|I suspect that this, and
|not expanded memory problems, is what you are running up against.

How can this be when Flight Simulator 4.0 runs just fine when
I pick the 286 mode option from it's opening menus.  I agree about the
386 opcodes ofcourse.  Btw- FS4 was being run on the VPix version
prior to the current one, which supposedly fixes Windows 3.0 problems.

|--
|Tom Betz -- GBS  -- 914-375-1510
|betz@marob.uucp%phri.nyu.edu uunet!rutgers!phri!marob!upaya!tbetz
|{att,philabs,rutgers,cmcl2}!phri!marob!upaya!tbetz
--
Evan Ron Aussenberg
erast1@unix.cis.pitt.edu

skujo@sssab.se (Skule Johansen) (12/18/90)

erast1@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Evan R Aussenberg) writes:
>||  Is it possible to use expanded memory with Windows 3.0 in VP/ix ?
>|
>|Windows, and probably Excel, looks at its
>|environment to decide what CPU it is running on...
>|Unfortunately, VP/ix is only capable of handling 8086 opcodes,
>|and if handed 286 or 386 opcodes, will crash and burn.
>How can this be when Flight Simulator 4.0 runs just fine when
>I pick the 286 mode option from it's opening menus.  I agree about the
>386 opcodes ofcourse.  Btw- FS4 was being run on the VPix version
>prior to the current one, which supposedly fixes Windows 3.0 problems.

Try Norton's SI.EXE to get the system information under VP/ix. For my
80386 machine, in VP/ix, si reports that my processor is a 80286. And
this is also the VP/ix version before the SSU.3 Update of VP/ix. Look
closer on your error message when installing himem.sys:
"ERROR: Can't enable A20!". Just a suggestion... Any who *knows*?

---===***> Skule

 | Skule Johansen                       Email: skujo@herkules.sssab.se  |
 | c/o Scandinavian System Support AB   Phone: +046 - 13 - 11 16 60     |
 | Box 535, S-58106 LINKOPING           Fax..: +046 - 13 - 11 51 93     |

nehmer@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Robert Nehmer) (12/19/90)

In article <al7ehb0s2C@herkules.sssab.se> skujo@sssab.se (Skule Johansen) writes:

>80386 machine, in VP/ix, si reports that my processor is a 80286. And
>this is also the VP/ix version before the SSU.3 Update of VP/ix. Look
>closer on your error message when installing himem.sys:
>"ERROR: Can't enable A20!". Just a suggestion... Any who *knows*?

I'm not sure if this would work under VP/ix, but I was having this A20
problem with a Gateway system (cringe) under DOS (3.2). Getting
Quarterdeck EMS (5.11) as a substitute for himem.sys solved the problem,
even to "enabling" the A20 handler. Of course, that didn't keep the
olde Gateway from falling off its hinges, so to speak (random reboots).
Oh, those were occuring before the Quarterdeck fix. Just more fuel
for the grist mill.

nehmer@whonose (so long CMS, hello magnus)