[comp.unix.msdos] Problems with rzsz9002.tar-z

henkf@dnlunx.pttrnl.nl (Henk Fictorie) (12/18/90)

I'm having problems with the sz, rz (zmodem send/receive) programs
from the rzsz9002 package.  I'm trying to transfer files from our Sun
to my pc at home.

Configuration: I'm connected via a terminalserver to the Sun at 2400 baud.
	       At my pc I'm using the buildin Telix Zmodem or
	       the DSZ package (I've tried both).

Commands used: sz x <filename>
	       rz

When I try to send a file from the Sun to the pc, only the first 1024
bytes arrive. After that, the PC reports Timeouts and I have to Abort
the transfer. When I try to receive a file on the Sun from the pc, the
pc program cannot even initiate the transfer.
I can use Xmodem and Ymodem from the same package without any problems.

Anybody knows what I'm doing wrong?
--
Henk Fictorie, PTT Research Neher Labs,    H_Fictorie@pttrnl.nl
P.O. box 421,                              ...!hp4nl!dnlunx!henkf

rlarson2@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (Robert S larson) (12/19/90)

henkf@dnlunx.pttrnl.nl (Henk Fictorie) writes:

>I'm having problems with the sz, rz (zmodem send/receive) programs
>from the rzsz9002 package.  I'm trying to transfer files from our Sun
>to my pc at home.
>When I try to send a file from the Sun to the pc, only the first 1024
>bytes arrive. After that, the PC reports Timeouts and I have to Abort
>the transfer. When I try to receive a file on the Sun from the pc, the
>pc program cannot even initiate the transfer.
>I can use Xmodem and Ymodem from the same package without any problems.

I used to experience similar problems with an identical configuration.
What I finally got to work was to use the command:

       sz -w 1024 filename
This seems to result in 512 byte packets being rather than 1024 byte
packets. Performance only decreased slightly; I now get about 220 cps
at 2400 baud, whereas zmodem should get 230 (with a clean phone line).
Still beats the hell out of kermit.

src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de (Heiko Blume) (12/20/90)

rlarson2@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (Robert S larson) writes:
>I used to experience similar problems with an identical configuration.
>What I finally got to work was to use the command:

>       sz -w 1024 filename
>This seems to result in 512 byte packets being rather than 1024 byte
>packets.

just a clarification:

-w N	restrict the *window* size to N bytes
-L N	limit subpacket lenght size to N bytes.
--
      Heiko Blume <-+-> src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de <-+-> (+49 30) 691 88 93
                    public source archive [HST V.42bis]: