[comp.unix.msdos] Tseng 4000 and Vpix

frank@mute.ruhr.de (Frank Huemme) (01/06/91)

Hello,
I have the following Problem using vpix with Interactive 2.2 on my
386sx with a Optima Mega 1024 (TSENG 4000):
If i run vpix with

VGAROM			/usr/defaults/vpix/romvga

the Phonix Bios msg appears on the screen
the Vpix msg appears
and then          Strike F1 Key

after the keystroke dos boots,but with a terrible Character-set,and
an EGA-Resolution.
In the other way, if i try

;VGAROM			/usr/defaults/vpix/romvga
(and ;EGAROM ..... )

the Tseng 4000 Msg appears :-)
the vpix Msg appears :-)
Missing operating System appears :-(

Can anybody help me ?

		mfg Frank
--
Frank Huemme 46 DO 1 	email : frank@mute.ruhr.de

wiljo@freesid.ruhr.de (Wiljo Heinen) (01/07/91)

frank@mute.ruhr.de (Frank Huemme) writes:

>Hello,
>I have the following Problem using vpix with Interactive 2.2 on my
>386sx with a Optima Mega 1024 (TSENG 4000):
>If i run vpix with

>VGAROM			/usr/defaults/vpix/romvga

[he gets terrible chars and EGA resolution]

>In the other way, if i try

>;VGAROM			/usr/defaults/vpix/romvga
>(and ;EGAROM ..... )

[he gets "Missing operating System"]

Well ... I don't think, I can help, but

all I can tell you, is that I'm using the same graphics card as u,
running ISC2.2 on an 20MHz 386 with Phoenix ROM. I comment the VGAROM
and got beautiful EVGA resolution...

My opinion: Either there's something wrong with your Motherboard
or with your installation. Tried installing the MS-DOS part of vpix again ?
Or a new vp/ix installation ????

cheers
	Wiljo

Adrian.Wallaschek@arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de (Adrian Wallaschek) (01/10/91)

wiljo@freesid.ruhr.de (Wiljo Heinen) writes:

>>all I can tell you, is that I'm using the same graphics card as u,
>>running ISC2.2 on an 20MHz 386 with Phoenix ROM. I comment the VGAROM
>>and got beautiful EVGA resolution...

>>My opinion: Either there's something wrong with your Motherboard
>>or with your installation. Tried installing the MS-DOS part of vpix again ?
>>Or a new vp/ix installation ????

I have the same problem and commented out the EGA/VGA lines. Display and
resolution is pretty and everything works fine. The only thing that doesn't
work is switching to another virtual screen while working with Extended VGA
modes 800x600 (or more). If you switch the screen then the virtual screen
driver is unable to recognize and change the video mode correctly.
BTW. I have an AMI-BIOS.

Prefect
A.Wallaschek
Adrian.Wallaschek@ARBI.Informatik.Uni-Oldenburg.DE