[comp.unix.msdos] Remote login to DOS?

mfaurot@irscscm.UUCP (Michael Faurot) (01/15/91)

In article <1991Jan11.193729.14336@cbnewsl.att.com> spf@cbnewsl.att.com (Steve Frysinger of Blue Feather Farm) writes:
>I'm trying to get up to speed on the various ways in which one can set
>up a pc for remote login.
>I suspect there are dos-based
>solutions to this problem (don't some bbs's run in dos environments?),
>but I'm not familiar with them.

A couple of good remote DOS packages are Carbon Copy and PC Anywhere.
I've personally used the PC Anywhere package and have found that to be
quite well put together.  With PC Anywhere you can set-up a PC to
answer a modem, and then once properly logged in, you are capable of
running any program on that remote PC, as long as both that remote PC
and the PC your at locally support the same graphics hardware.  (Yes,
you can run graphics based software remotely...).  A couple of the other
nice features I like about PC Anywhere is that 1) It comes not only with
the "host" software, but also with the "terminal" software you need
for the system dialing in.  2)  It supports dumb terminals, so that you
could use a Wyse60 or VT100 to call the PC 3)  Features call-back
security if you want to be sure no one can get in 4)  There's also
supposed to be a terminal program for MACs so that they can dial into
the PC and use its applications too.

muir@convex.com (David Muir) (01/15/91)

In <1991Jan11.193729.14336@cbnewsl.att.com> spf@cbnewsl.att.com (Steve Frysinger of Blue Feather Farm) writes:

>I'm trying to get up to speed on the various ways in which one can set
>up a pc for remote login.  I'm familiar with the obvious method -
>running Unix on the pc - but that leaves some difficulty (to say the
>least) in getting to dos applications.  I suspect there are dos-based
>solutions to this problem (don't some bbs's run in dos environments?),
>but I'm not familiar with them.

>So if someone should share a short summary of remote login support for
>dos (and the identity of the associated software) I'd be very grateful.

>Thanks! Steve

>***
>Thou art beside thyself.  Much learning hath made thee mad.
>		-- Festus (the one in Acts, not Dodge City!)

>We are made of dreams and bones...
>		-- Dave Mallet: "The Garden Song"

You might check into PROCOMM PLUS.  It is a communications pacakge for
msdos that has a "host mode" that allows remote users to log onto
your system.  It uses passwords and has and allows you to privliges.

* Dave *

aronb@gkcl.ists.ca (Aron Burns) (01/16/91)

In article <muir.663896878@convex.convex.com> muir@convex.com (David Muir) writes:
>In <1991Jan11.193729.14336@cbnewsl.att.com> spf@cbnewsl.att.com (Steve Frysinger of Blue Feather Farm) writes:
>
>>I'm trying to get up to speed on the various ways in which one can set
>>up a pc for remote login.  I'm familiar with the obvious method -
>>running Unix on the pc - but that leaves some difficulty (to say the
>>least) in getting to dos applications.  I suspect there are dos-based
>>solutions to this problem (don't some bbs's run in dos environments?),
>>but I'm not familiar with them.
>
>>So if someone should share a short summary of remote login support for
>>dos (and the identity of the associated software) I'd be very grateful.
>
>>Thanks! Steve
>
>>***
>>Thou art beside thyself.  Much learning hath made thee mad.
this is espcially applicable to epistemology and anything to
do with Nietzsche....
>>		-- Festus (the one in Acts, not Dodge City!)
>
>>We are made of dreams and bones...
>>		-- Dave Mallet: "The Garden Song"
>
>You might check into PROCOMM PLUS.  It is a communications pacakge for
>msdos that has a "host mode" that allows remote users to log onto
>your system.  It uses passwords and has and allows you to privliges.
>
>* Dave *

If you just want to dial up a system and get/send files, list directories
and similar activities, try Kermit.  It has 'server' mode, can disable
priveledges as required (but globally, not on a per user basis) and is
free of charge.

Procomm plus is good too.

If you're talking about remote control (eg running an application that
is resident on the remote PC as though it were on a local station) you can
go with Carbon Copy for PC-PC interaction, or PC-Anywhere for
PC-terminal/PC interaction.

Multiple simultaneous access to applications?  Perhaps UNIX running
MERGE for character based apps.  For graphic applications,
Novell has a solution that is essentially a PC with modified
DesqView, each 'task' running carbon copy or PC Anywhere and
attached to a modem.  It works, but is apparently slooooow.

Aaron Burns      	     "Nothing I say on the net is binding
aronb@gkcl.ists.ca         to our corporation"
Toronto, Ontario         "Life is a forge, and the purest metal
(416)392-4310             comes from the hottest fire"