[net.music] Live-Aid

evan@petfe.UUCP (Evan Marcus) (07/14/85)

As those of you who pay attention to my postings to this group (there must
be somebody) could guess, I enjoyed Live-Aid.  I Vid-taped a great deal
of it, and enjoyed just about all of it.  My favorite moment was Hall&Oates
and the Temptations.

Where were:  Julian Lennon (he was advertised!), George Harrison, Ringo Starr,
Bruce Springsteen, Billy Joel?  How about Cyndi Lauper (not that I missed her),
Paul Simon, Art Garfunkel, Bob Seger, Huey Lewis, Stevie Wonder, MJackson (see
Cyndi Lauper), Chicago, John Fogerty?  And Peter Paul and Mary were there for
the finale, but didn't perform.  And how come the Stones didn't play together?

The potential for surprises that fell through amazed me!  Is there anyone who
didn't guess the finale?  A few surprises underwhelmed me like the CSNY
reunion.  Led Zep was great to see, even if Plant can't hit those high notes
anymore.  The Who sounded amazing!  (Except when they f-f-f-aded away)  And
I wish Collins had learned another song or 2 on the piano.

The MTV coverage was bad in many ways.  I REALLY didn't want to see Martha,
Nina, and Mark singing along during The Who, or the Brit finale (another big
disappointment--no Beatles, no quick teamups, no nothing!).  They seem really
stuck on themselves.  Yes, the VJs worked hard--it was a long day, but they
were just too hung up on their own image.

Does anyone know why the independent coverage (channel 5 here in NY) started
to show tapes of earlier in the day at about 4pm?  They missed the Brit finale,
Madonna (thank God for small miracles), and everything that happened after 4.

In spite of this, I liked a lot of things I saw.  Sting was great. I liked U2
(I usually don't), Tom Petty (I didn't have to look at him, though), Hall &
Oates, the 4 Tops, and lots of other parts.

I'm sure I won't be the only person to discuss this on the net.  Let's hear
about it.

--Evan Marcus

--
{ucbvax|decvax}!vax135!petsd!petfe!evan
                         ...!pedsgd!pedsga!evan

Just to hit the ball and touch 'em all
A moment in the sun
It's gone, and you can tell that one goodbye.

wro@noscvax.UUCP (Michael Wroblewski) (07/15/85)

  Okay, got in to work this morning hoping to see some postings, but there
  were none yet, so here go some idle ramblings....

  First off, what I enjoyed (in no particular order)....U2 was fabulous,
  but I wish someone from Empty Vee wouldn't have tripped over a cable and
  cobbed up one song (I don't remember which one....I'll have to go back and
  view the videotape).  Sting's set, which was almost the same as his set on
  the Secret Policeman's Balls, with the addition of Branford Marsallis on
  soprano sax.  Also Sting's collaborations with Phil Collins and Dire Straights

  Boomtown Rats were good, except the butchered broadcast feed of Bob Geldof's
  microphone.  The Who were okay, but given the atmosphere of the whole event,
  I certainly enjoyed them.  Again, as with U2, the satellite feed went out
  on one number.  The rest of the Wembley performances get a little bit hazy
  right now....I got up at 3:30 Pacific and taped all 17+ hours while doing
  things around the house.

  As for the US performances, I wish we could've seen more of them, given
  Empty Vee's propensity for other horseshit.  The Led Zeppelin reunion
  made my day (the only time I saw them was the one of four nights in
  Chicago back in '77, when Jimmy Page got sick and played for only 45
  minutes).  Bryan Adams' set was good, but again, another technical problem,
  and on the Canadian benefit song that all you people north of the border
  have been writing about, and I've never heard!  Didn't think Duran needed
  to show up, but Power Station was good, even without Robert Palmer (wish
  he still sang though, instead of Michael DesBarres).

  Dislikes?  Few of the performers....Ultravox wasn't quite up to snuff,
  C,S & N were out of tune and sounded rotten (didn't Crosby look like
  shit?), the Beach Boys did backup vocals for somebody who escapes me at
  this time (but sounded okay on their set....must only be able to sing
  harmony on just their own stuff, and probably on ly after lot's of
  practicing!!)ly after lot's of             .  Main gripes, I guess would be the Empty Vee anouncers,
  especially Mark Goodman, who I think should be shot, and Nina Blackwood.
  I didn't like how they'd talk over some of the songs, and other basic
  ramblings between sets ("Hey, that's Bruce Springsteen's lighting truss").

  So overwhelming, all of it.  I will get a better picture of it all as I
  view my videotapes over the next couple of weeks....It was recorded in
  Beta Hi-fi, so should make some great audio cassette compilations this
  summer.

  The other thing that ticked me, was that Oz for Africa, the four-hour show
  from Australia, was broadcast just prior to Live-aid, and wasn't even
  advertized....I would've taped that too....INXS had a really hot set.

  Das ist alle fur heute."

					 Mike Wroblewski

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (07/16/85)

MTV coverage and regular commercial TV coverage were different, both
uneven, and strangely enough, about half a second apart:  if you switched
back between MTV and channel 5 (NYC) e.g., you noticed a half-second delay
in MTV.  Anybody know why?

MTV decided to give us a whole block of over a hour at once, and so just
after that THEY missed the Pretenders, who were on the regular stations.
Network coverage was abysmal (I hear they broke in IN THE MIDDLE of
Stairway to Heaven).

I missed the Who completely, but saw a mediocre performance of "WGFA".
They weren't all that good at Kampuchea either, and bitterness between
Daltrey and Townsend must have hurt some.

Question:  MTV kept mentioning a John Lennon feel running through the whole
affair.  Was it deliberate that so many artists covered Lennon tunes.
(Elvis Costello - "All You Need Is Love", Thompson Twins - "Revolution" (???),
Patti Labelle - "Imagine")  I recall some more, does anyone have a list?
--
Anything's possible, but only a few things actually happen.
					Rich Rosen    pyuxd!rlr

ran@bentley.UUCP (RA Novo) (07/16/85)

I watched the live aid concert here in the NYC area on channel 5 during
the day and channel 7 at night. The coverage was quite pitiful. During
the day, we would see about 30 seconds of a song, then interrupted
by 3 minutes of ads (it seems that they only had 3 different ads they
used over and over) and a 3 minute sales pitch by Sally Field asking
for donations. Before the concert, Bob Geldof was worried that the
big names involved would overshadow the cause for which this concert
was held, but when watching it, I constantly had to remind myself that
this was the concert event of the century, and not a spin-off of the
Jerry Lewis telethon. (BTW, was that David Gilmour playing guitar
behind Bryan Ferry?)

At night the coverage was somewhat better, but not by far. The Led
Zeppelin set consisted of half of "Stairway to Heaven". I felt like
strangling Dick Clark when he gave the long speech on the Led Zep
background directed towards the Madonna and Michael Jackson fans
while half of the set was lost. Later on the local news, they played a
small part of Whole Lotta Love (Did anyone notice that there was another
drummer to back Collins up. Did John Bonham use another drummer?).
When the Who played, we only heard a portion of "Won't Get Fooled Again".
Well, at least Dick Clark didn't sing along with Roger Daltrey.

Dick Clark also persisted in priming us for "mega-surprises" until the
last minute. By the way he was talking, I was expecting the finale to
be a duet between JS Bach and Kate Bush! :-) The potential for surprises
was there, but that's all it was, potential.

Highlghts of the day:
 Morning: Dire Straits (They had one of the few sets that was uninterrupted)
	  Autograph (It was interesting, seeing Russian rock, even though
		     their quality left something to be desired)
	  Ozzy back with Black Sabbath (I guess, if you like Metal)

 Evening: Led Zeppelin and the Who (A bit of nostalgia. Does anybody know
		                    what their whole sets consisted of?
				    Please respond by mail.)

Low points of the day:
	Too many ads.
	Sally Field.
	Led Zep and the Who (We wanted more)
	Madonna (Were all her concerts that raked in cash that bad?)
	Bob Dylan (Blowin' in the wind was a letdown.)
	We were set up for too many surprises.
	Phil Collins (So, he flew from London to Philadelphia, big deal,
		      has anyone heard of Charles Lindbergh? He played
		      the same songs in both stadiums (stadia), and messed
	    	      up one of them in London. True, he played for Clapton,
  		      and Led Zeppelin, but as a drummer he is only mediocre.)

Well, here's my review of "the big event of the century", but from the
sound of things, promoters want to turn this into a yearly event.

flames to /dev/null

--

Robert A. Novo				"Captain! They put creatures
AT&T Bell Labs				 in our ears! They made us say

lsmith@h-sc1.UUCP (Liz Smith) (07/16/85)

In article <389@petfe.UUCP> evan@petfe.UUCP (Evan Marcus) writes:

>Where were:  Julian Lennon (he was advertised!), George Harrison, Ringo Starr,
>Bruce Springsteen, Billy Joel?  How about Cyndi Lauper (not that I missed her),
>Paul Simon, Art Garfunkel, Bob Seger, Huey Lewis, Stevie Wonder, MJackson (see
>Cyndi Lauper), Chicago, John Fogerty?  And Peter Paul and Mary were there for
>the finale, but didn't perform.  And how come the Stones didn't play together?

Some random thoughts of mine:

I was wondering about the notable absentees also - what about Talking Heads?
Did anyone ask the Grateful Dead? (I doubt it)

My favorite part (aside from getting to see Eric Clapton) was the Bowie/Jagger
video. (actually, everything that Bowie did was excellent) "Dancing in the
Streets" - a great surprise!

Liz Smith

What I saw of it, the British camera work was crappy compared with the
American (not that the Americans were perfect either).

My favorite part was actually getting to see all of Patti LaBelle's hairdo!

Charley Wingate   umcp-cs!mangoe

"You want me to make a donation to the Coast Guard Youth Auxiliary!"

(Is there really such an organization?)

dsi@unccvax.UUCP (Dataspan Inc) (07/17/85)

    And once again, the United States shows that they can screw up perfectly
good audio. The digital feeds from Wembley were EXCELLENT!!!!!  I've heard
better audio from the Mr. Microphone/Close-N-Play combo than was fed fro
Philly.

    AAARRRRRRGH!

dya

kimery@wdl1.UUCP (Sam Kimery) (07/17/85)

> The MTV coverage was bad in many ways.  I REALLY didn't want to see Martha,
> Nina, and Mark singing along during The Who, or the Brit finale (another big
> disappointment--no Beatles, no quick teamups, no nothing!).  They seem really
> stuck on themselves.  Yes, the VJs worked hard--it was a long day, but they
> were just too hung up on their own image.

Not to mention the really cruddy shots from the lips of the stadiums, and
the constant close ups of one person in a group, instead of at least
spreading the close ups around.  (IE Sting, while singing with Dire Staits)

The best example of the long shots, was the finale at Wimbley, when whoever
joined Paul McCartney on stage, 90% of what we saw was a top view of the
stadium!

I suppose that sometime in the future, a complete video tape will be released
that will show all the stuff that we missed while bouncing back and forth,
and watching the VJ's enjoy themselves.

	Oops, got a little carried away.

		Ah, well such is life.......

			Sam Kimery

merchant@dartvax.UUCP (Peter Merchant) (07/17/85)

Live-Aid was quite good.  I listenned most of the day and watched it on
ABC-TV when they showed it at 8:00PM EDT.  It was also nice to listen to
it on ABC's radio network.  Worked out well...I just turned on the TV
and turned down the sound.  ABC stopped showing leftovers from London
about 9:30 or so, so you didn't have to listen to Duran Duran and watch
Paul McCartney (but I do suggest it if you want a laugh)

Madonna, for all you may dislike her music, still came up withthe most
notable quote of the Philly Concert.  She remarked about taking off her
coat and how "She wasn't going to take anything off ever again or they
might get me for it in ten years."

Mick Jagger & Tina Turner were dynamite doing "State of Shock."  Who wrote
that?!  WHen Mick & Mike did it, it was pretty weak.  Tina added a bit
of raunch to the song, which seems to be just what it needed.  I was kind
of hoping that Mick would do "Lucky at Love", but he didn't.

Led Zep was quite good.  I've never been an outrageous fan, but it was
easy to get caught up in the grandeur.

All in all, a good show even if alot of the promised people didn't show.
I'm glad to hear it made lots of money.
--
"Don't try living your life in one day..."        Peter Merchant

davew@shark.UUCP (Dave Williams) (07/17/85)

In article <1222@pyuxd.UUCP> rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) writes:
>MTV coverage and regular commercial TV coverage were different, both
>uneven, and strangely enough, about half a second apart:  if you switched
>back between MTV and channel 5 (NYC) e.g., you noticed a half-second delay
>in MTV.  Anybody know why?

MTV uses satellites for its distribution. Channel 5 in NYC probably
used terrestrial links for their feed. This means that MTV's signal
had to travel approx. 50,000 miles farther to get to NYC if only one
satellite "bounce" was used. This translates into a delay of about
.28 seconds. In many instances a remote telecast is sent back to the
main studio via sattelite and then sent out on other satellite feeds.
This can cause a delay of over a half second or more depending on the
number of "bounces".
--

                                    Dave Williams
                                    Tektronix, Inc.

    "The 6000 Family"
"The workstations that made
    Wilsonville famous."

simpson@lll-crg.ARPA (Rea Simpson) (07/17/85)

In article <389@petfe.UUCP> evan@petfe.UUCP (Evan Marcus) writes:
>As those of you who pay attention to my postings to this group (there must
>be somebody) could guess, I enjoyed Live-Aid.  I Vid-taped a great deal
>of it, and enjoyed just about all of it.  My favorite moment was Hall&Oates
>and the Temptations.
>
>Where were: ... Huey Lewis ...

I was told that Huey Lewis pulled out because "a lot if the food that has been
sent to Africa already is rotting on boats in the harbors".

I only watch small segments of Live-Aid.  Were there problems with the monitors
for the performers on stage?  I saw the Thompson Twins (I would rather have seen
just about anyone else but anyway) and I thought someone was singing quite a bit
off key.  Also friends of mine who saw CSN said they thought they sounded
terrible too.

____

" Let there be songs to fill the air ... "
____
				Rea Simpson
				Lawrence Livermore Labs L-306
				P.O. Box 808
				Livermore, CA  94550
				(415) 423-0910

{dual, gymble, sun, mordor}!lll-crg!simpson
simpson@lll-crg.ARPA

cuccia@ucbvax.ARPA (Nick "Coosh" Cuccia) (07/18/85)

Despite the problems with Live Aid, I enjoyed it immensely.  I don't
have MTV, so I had to watch the normal coverage (serious bummer..).
I was *very* disappointed that I didn't get to see The Who, but Dire
Straits came close to making up for it.

I'm glad that Sting brought Branford Marsalis with him during his set;
otherwise, it would've been _The Secret Policeman's Ball_ all over
again.  His sop sax added just enough variety to keep my interest in
one place.

The Brits definitely got the better end of the deal; I was impressed
by The Pretenders, Madonna (I'll bet the locals who know me *never*
thought I'd be saying that...), The Temptations/Hall & Oates, and
Neil Young, but was seriously depressed by CSN(Y) and The Beach Boys.
Almost everybody that performed in London kept me going.  Not even the
lead singer of Wham! could ruin Elton John's set...

Off on two tangents here: (1) is there going to be a videocassette and/or
album of Live Aid?  I've already heard rumors that there won't be...
(2) What was with Madonna's voice?  Yow!  Why can't she sound like that
on her recordings/videos?  Then again, maybe I've been listening to too
much June Christy and Astrid Gilberto lately...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
--Nick "Coosh" Cuccia
--{...}!ucbvax!cuccia  		(USENET)
--cuccia%ucbmiro@Berkeley	(Arpanet)
The University wouldn't dare say some of the things that I say...
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

barb@pyuxa.UUCP (B E Nemeth) (07/18/85)

Hall and Oates and the Temptations were superb!!
From this point on is when I didn't move from the set.
Loved seeing Mick and Tina though I would have liked
to see Tina perform alone, too.

I loved it, and wished I was there although the finale
was a disappointment.

maciag@spar.UUCP (Chris Maciag) (07/19/85)

>I only watch small segments of Live-Aid.  Were there problems with the monitors
>for the performers on stage?  I saw the Thompson Twins (I would rather have seen
>just about anyone else but anyway) and I thought someone was singing quite a bit
>off key.  Also friends of mine who saw CSN said they thought they sounded
>terrible too.

The Thompson Twins were quickly tossed into the limelight, having little
experience in large performances.  I have seen them live twice and many
times on television-- They stink.  Since most of their music is keyboard
based, they can program it into a sequencer where they can edit it etc.
and have they keyboard play on ``auto pilot''.  Perhaps this is why
their studio work sounds so much different.  I do not know how they
manage to get good vocals in the studio.

->Chris

Regrets, I've had a few...
			Sid Vicious

brown@nicmad.UUCP (07/19/85)

In article <3358@dartvax.UUCP> merchant@dartvax.UUCP (Peter Merchant) writes:

>Madonna, for all you may dislike her music, still came up withthe most
>notable quote of the Philly Concert.  She remarked about taking off her
>coat and how "She wasn't going to take anything off ever again or they
>might get me for it in ten years."

She said that "shit wasn't gonna come off", etc.
--
                 AV-2010
              |------------|
              | |-------| o|   HRD725U & PV9600
Mr. Video     | |       | o|   |--------------|
              | |       |  |   | |----| o o o |
              | |-------| O|   |--------------|
              |------------| VHS Hi-Fi (the only way to go)
   seismo!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!brown
   ihnp4!nicmad!brown

brown@nicmad.UUCP (07/19/85)

In article <1222@pyuxd.UUCP> rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) writes:
>MTV coverage and regular commercial TV coverage were different, both
>uneven, and strangely enough, about half a second apart:  if you switched
>back between MTV and channel 5 (NYC) e.g., you noticed a half-second delay
>in MTV.  Anybody know why?

Try the fact that a few satellites were in operation for this event.  The
ABC Radio feed was different at times from the MTV (audio portion).  Right
after the BBC power failure, the ABC radio was equal in time to the MTV
audio.  A while later, it wasn't again.

The logisitics of putting together this technical marvel must have been awesome.
--
                 AV-2010
              |------------|

kimery@wdl1.UUCP (Sam Kimery) (07/20/85)

> Madonna, for all you may dislike her music, still came up withthe most
> notable quote of the Philly Concert.  She remarked about taking off her
> coat and how "She wasn't going to take anything off ever again or they
> might get me for it in ten years."

I think it went more along the lines of "I ain't takin' sh*t off, you
guys might not respect me in ten years".

or at least something like that, I'll have to dig the video back out
and listen again.

		Sam

dsi@unccvax.UUCP (Dataspan Inc) (07/20/85)

   For those who are interested in the technical feat pulled off last weekend,
there is a very interesting article in the two weeks ago Broadcasting.
No fewer than 13 satellites (including backhaul and interim link) feeds
were used, from all the major common carriers, Intelsat, and BrightStar.
Didn't anyone watch the feeds downlinked at Etam, W. Va; Rosman NC, and
all those good places (from across the pond) or the Empty-V backhaul feeds
(which were multiple) assumed to be free of the dreck which corrupted
American television?

    (My earth station has been down for 2 years. . . snif!) Were Canadians
treated to a less polluted version?

    Intelsat is probably hopping up and down violently (talk about your
typical bunch of self-serving anticompetitive nerds) but I think even the
Intersputnik satellite was used for the Soviet feed?

dya

>   For those who are interested in the technical feat pulled off last
>weekend,
>there is a very interesting article in the two weeks ago Broadcasting.
>No fewer than 13 satellites (including backhaul and interim link) feeds
>were used, from all the major common carriers, Intelsat, and BrightStar.
>Didn't anyone watch the feeds downlinked at Etam, W. Va; Rosman NC, and
>all those good places (from across the pond) or the Empty-V backhaul feeds
>(which were multiple) assumed to be free of the dreck which corrupted
>American television?

According to the _Wash. Post_, the Bowie/Jagger video came about because
what they were originally going do didn't work.  They were going to have
Jagger in Philly and Bowie at Wembley sing a duet via satellite!
Unfortunately, they had forgotten that it's 22,000 miles out there; the
4-second propagation delay through space and all that circuitry was just too
hard to deal with.  So they settled for a video.

Charley Wingate  umcp-cs!mangoe