[comp.unix.msdos] VPIX compatability questions

dab@cbnewsm.att.com (david.a.berk) (01/05/91)

1. Does anyone know of a full page scanner that will function under vpix ?

2. Has anyone been able to get Microsoft Windows and/or Microsoft Word to
   function under vpix?

Any details would be appreciated.

Thanks;

Dave Berk
AT&T BL
(908) 564-3294

vjs@calcite.UUCP (Vernon Schryver) (01/06/91)

In article <1991Jan4.201448.14923@cbnewsm.att.com>, dab@cbnewsm.att.com (david.a.berk) writes:
> 2. Has anyone been able to get Microsoft Windows and/or Microsoft Word to
>    function under vpix?

Microsoft Word 5.0 works under VP/ix 1.01.01 (sic) with came with ISC
386/ix 2.0.2, provided you either (1) obtain the 'Word 5.00 "Disk Full"
Patch' diskette, or (2) always run Word in DOS partitions instead of UNIX
directories.

Word 5.5 has the same problem as 5.0, but as of Friday, Jan 5, Microsoft
had not come up with a patch disk.  They say they're working on it.  Feel
free to call (800) 426-9400 between 6:30 and 5:30 Pacific time to ask about
it.  The number of people with the problem no doubt affects the speed with
which they'll complete it.

Vernon Schryver,   vjs@calcite.uucp

dag@gorgon.uucp (Daniel A. Glasser) (01/06/91)

I'll let other people address the software questions, but I know (from
trying to figure out how to do it) that in order to use something like
a full page scanner (like the HP ScanJet Plus) which uses DMA you need
a driver that gets built into the Unix kernel which cooperates with the
DOS driver and/or program.  If the device just uses shared memory and/or
(if I remember properly) interrupts, there is a way to tell vpix and
the OS to let the DOS device drivers/programs access the hardware registers
and shared memory ranges.  It is in the manual but not that easy to
understand.

I hope this helps.  I also hope it is correct.
--
Daniel A. Glasser                       One of those things that goes
dag%gorgon@persoft.com                  "BUMP! (ouch!)" in the night.

asv@gaboon.UUCP (Stan Voket) (01/06/91)

In article <1991Jan4.201448.14923@cbnewsm.att.com> dab@cbnewsm.att.com (david.a.berk) writes:
>1. Does anyone know of a full page scanner that will function under vpix ?
>
>2. Has anyone been able to get Microsoft Windows and/or Microsoft Word to
>   function under vpix?

	Dave,

      I briefly ran MS Windows 2.0 and a HP Scanjet Plus under Interactive's
      VPix.  It worked fine.

| -   Stan Voket, asv@gaboon - OR - ...uunet!hsi!stpstn!gaboon!asv   - |
|       -   Voice: (203) 746-4489 - FAX 746-9761 TELEX 4996516  -      |

det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG (Derek E. Terveer) (01/09/91)

asv@gaboon.UUCP (Stan Voket) writes:

>I briefly ran MS Windows 2.0 and a HP Scanjet Plus under Interactive's
>VPix.  It worked fine.

Which version of VP/ix ???
--
Derek "Tigger" Terveer	det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG - MNFHA, NCS - UMN Women's Lax, MWD
I am the way and the truth and the light, I know all the answers; don't need

richard@octel.UUCP (Richard Karasik) (01/10/91)

In article <102@calcite.UUCP> vjs@calcite.UUCP (Vernon Schryver) writes:
>In article <1991Jan4.201448.14923@cbnewsm.att.com>, dab@cbnewsm.att.com (david.a.berk) writes:
>> 2. Has anyone been able to get Microsoft Windows and/or Microsoft Word to
>>    function under vpix?

Yup I just got it going -but you need a free update from ISC (I believe it's
SU3. Its gawdallmighty impressive to run X and then invoke vpix and then bring
up windows 3.0 (I dont know why anyone would really do this but its still
impressive.) Plain vanilla isc wouldn't install windows at all. -
By the way I have to reset config.sys to use pems.sys in order to get
windows to use more memory (up to 2 MB). Im going to try this tonite.
Otherwise you are stuck with the dos limit and that simply aint good enuff to
install other programs (like delrina's perform) with.

Also during install of windows under vpix in unix partition (which is what I
did) it will carp about himem.sys driver -just ignore it and keep on going.

>Microsoft Word 5.0 works under VP/ix 1.01.01 (sic) with came with ISC
>386/ix 2.0.2, provided you either (1) obtain the 'Word 5.00 "Disk Full"
>Patch' diskette, or (2) always run Word in DOS partitions instead of UNIX
>directories.

I have had no problems with WORD except it not noticing the mouse. I have
several hundred kB of document stored -on a 690MB esdi drive to boot!

Richard

rbraun@spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) (01/17/91)

After talking with SCO tech support several times this week, I've gotten
a definitive "no" to the question of running a LAN card under VP/ix.  But
the problem seems not to be strictly technical; one of the tech experts
actually left me a pitch for SCO TCP/IP on my voice mail.  I surmise that
SCO has made a business decision to preclude network support by third
parties under VP/ix.

By the way, getting through to SCO tech support can be a real headache.
They've taken their voice-mail system to the ultimate automated extreme,
forcing you to get a call back from them unless you get pretty insistent.
And someone keyed my name in wrong, so whenever they called back they kept
asking for the wrong person (someone who happened not to be in the office
most of the time this week).  Technology seems to be running amok!

-rich

mshiels@tmsoft.uucp (Michael A. Shiels) (01/17/91)

Is there a way to detect you are running inside of VPix?

weyrich (Dr. Orville R. Weyrich) (01/18/91)

In article <1991Jan17.041520.24159@tmsoft.uucp> mshiels@tmsoft.UUCP (Michael A. Shiels) writes:

>Is there a way to detect you are running inside of VPix?

I suspect that VP/IX is like MERGE: Under Merge, DOS software thinks that it
is running on a network. There is some DOS interrupt I think which returns this
flag.

Hope this helps.

Orville.

uunet!weyrich!orville      or     orville%weyrich@uunet.uu.net

dave@westmark.WESTMARK.COM (Dave Levenson) (01/21/91)

In article <1991Jan17.041520.24159@tmsoft.uucp>, mshiels@tmsoft.uucp (Michael A. Shiels) writes:

> Is there a way to detect you are running inside of VPix?

You could try to write to a file in the root filesystem.
You'll be allowed if you're in real MS-DOS, and not if you're under
VP/ix, unless VP/ix was invoked by root.

Anybody know a better way?

--
Dave Levenson			Internet: dave@westmark.com
Westmark, Inc.			UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave

clewis@ferret.ocunix.on.ca (Chris Lewis) (01/24/91)

In article <2546@westmark.WESTMARK.COM> dave@westmark.WESTMARK.COM (Dave Levenson) writes:
>In article <1991Jan17.041520.24159@tmsoft.uucp>, mshiels@tmsoft.uucp (Michael A. Shiels) writes:

>> Is there a way to detect you are running inside of VPix?

>You could try to write to a file in the root filesystem.
>You'll be allowed if you're in real MS-DOS, and not if you're under
>VP/ix, unless VP/ix was invoked by root.

I'm not sure whether some variants of VP/ix run differently by convention,
but you could often do something like test the existance of z:\unix or z:\xenix.
--
Chris Lewis, Phone: (613) 832-0541, Internet: clewis@ferret.ocunix.on.ca
UUCP: uunet!mitel!cunews!latour!ecicrl!clewis

darcy@druid.uucp (D'Arcy J.M. Cain) (01/24/91)

In article <2546@westmark.WESTMARK.COM> Dave Levenson writes:
>In article <1991Jan17.041520.24159@tmsoft.uucp>, mshiels@tmsoft.uucp (Michael A. Shiels) writes:
>> Is there a way to detect you are running inside of VPix?
>You could try to write to a file in the root filesystem.
>You'll be allowed if you're in real MS-DOS, and not if you're under
>VP/ix, unless VP/ix was invoked by root.

Nope.  That would apply to networks as well.  Besides, I can write to
drive C: under VP/ix.  It maps to a file that I own.

>Anybody know a better way?

Hmmm.  I see two possibilities here.  If you have source and are trying
to add in the capability why not simply port to Unix.  I only run VP/ix
when I have a DOS binary that I have to run.  If I have source I simply
run it under Unix which is a big performance gain.  However if you must
run under VP/ix then why not set an environment variable?  Then all you
have to do is test it in your program.  Alternatively you can check the
PATH variable for an instance of "VPIX" but this isn't a perfect test.

Above justified paragraph purely coincidental BTW. :-)

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain (darcy@druid)     |
D'Arcy Cain Consulting             |   There's no government

mareb@levels.sait.edu.au (01/25/91)

In article <2546@westmark.WESTMARK.COM>, dave@westmark.WESTMARK.COM (Dave Levenson) writes:

>> Is there a way to detect you are running inside of VPix?
>
> You could try to write to a file in the root filesystem.
> You'll be allowed if you're in real MS-DOS, and not if you're under
> VP/ix, unless VP/ix was invoked by root.
>

> Anybody know a better way?

My guess is you could spawn true(1), the UNIX command, under VP/ix but
not under DOS. Of course, there are many UNIX-commands-for DOS around so
it might be better to ensure you are using RUNUNIX.EXE (or whatever that
command is called) mechanism.

	b++ (Bob Buckley)

mike (Michael Stefanik) (01/26/91)

In an article, Michael A. Shiels writes:
> Is there a way to detect you are running inside of VPix?

Yes, and it depends on what context.  If you're a DOS program and you
want to determine if you're in a VP/ix environment, just have that
program try to create a temporary file on the C: disk.  Since VP/ix
requires that pseudo-disk to be read-only (if you're going to boot from
it) then the create will succeed under real DOS, and fail under VP/ix.
You should, of course, check the error returned by DOS just to make sure
that it didn't fail because the disk was full.
If you're trying to detect if you're a UNIX process that has been created
by VP/ix, then you simply need to climb your process tree "backwards",
looking to see if your parent or grandparent was vpix.

--
Michael Stefanik, Systems Engineer (JOAT), Briareus Corporation
UUCP: ...!uunet!bria!mike

mike@bria (01/28/91)

In article <868@csource.oz.au> csource.oz.au!david (david nugent) writes:
|| Yes, and it depends on what context.  If you're a DOS program and you
|| want to determine if you're in a VP/ix environment, just have that
|| program try to create a temporary file on the C: disk.  Since VP/ix
|| requires that pseudo-disk to be read-only (if you're going to boot from
|| it) then the create will succeed under real DOS, and fail under VP/ix.
|
|No, there is no such requirement.  Certainly the C: drive I run VP/ix
|from is not read only.

That is true, if only one vpix process is "booted" from that pseudo-drive.
Multiple sessions under VP/ix preclude write access except for the *first*
session.  Essentially, what you're pointing out *is* correct ... It's not
a terrbily good solution.

However, another solution would be to look for "strange" filenames
that you would expect to find under VP/ix, but not DOS (such as something
like Z:\ETC\ENVIR~~A or whatever) since VP/ix collapses long filenames
using some arcane method that I'm not bothering to lookup at this
moment.

Disclamer: What's arcane for me may be perfectly normal for you.

|I'm sure there must be a simple way of doing this.  Some of the DOS
|programs supplied with VP/ix use a number of pseudo I/O ports to
|communicate with vpix itself, such as "rundos" and "rununix".
|Obviously there isn't a documented way though.

True 'nuff.
--

darcy@druid.uucp (D'Arcy J.M. Cain) (01/28/91)

In article <392@bria> uunet!bria!mike (Michael Stefanik) writes:
>Yes, and it depends on what context.  If you're a DOS program and you
>want to determine if you're in a VP/ix environment, just have that
>program try to create a temporary file on the C: disk.  Since VP/ix
>requires that pseudo-disk to be read-only (if you're going to boot from

That isn't necessarily true.  VP/ix gives you the option when installing
user's of giving the user their own copy of C:.  In that case the program
can write to it as well as read it.