[comp.unix.msdos] device= in config.sys?

randyt@asdnet (Randy Terbush) (02/05/91)

I am running ISC 2.2.1 and VP/ix 1.2 on my 386 clone.  I have a
ProDesigner II video card which requires that I have the vgarom
statement in vpix.cnf commented out.

I have been attempting to install the xansi.sys driver supplied with
the card.  It seems that the only way I can get this driver to load is
if I install it in my C: file since I run with my own copy of C:.

Is this the case with all device drivers under VP/ix?  I tried leaving
the xansi.sys file in my H: (Home) directory, and Z: (UNIX
filesystem).

Any ideas or experiences?

--
Randy Terbush ------------------ Mammoth Lakes, CA - Voice +1 619 934 0340
asdnet!randyt ------------------------------------------------------------

hotte@sunrise.in-berlin.de (Horst Laumer) (02/12/91)

randyt@asdnet (Randy Terbush) writes:

>I am running ISC 2.2.1 and VP/ix 1.2 on my 386 clone.  I have a
>ProDesigner II video card which requires that I have the vgarom
>statement in vpix.cnf commented out.

>I have been attempting to install the xansi.sys driver supplied with
>the card.  It seems that the only way I can get this driver to load is
>if I install it in my C: file since I run with my own copy of C:.

>Is this the case with all device drivers under VP/ix?  I tried leaving
>the xansi.sys file in my H: (Home) directory, and Z: (UNIX
>filesystem).

>Any ideas or experiences?

>--
>Randy Terbush ------------------ Mammoth Lakes, CA - Voice +1 619 934 0340
>asdnet!randyt ------------------------------------------------------------
>Advanced System Design --------------- UNIX Workstation Design and Support

Sorry, but has to be so.

If you inspect the normal C:\autoexec.bat, you will see a 'dosmount...'-line.
This installs the H:, U:, ... DOS-drives. Since config.sys is evaluated first,
it tries drive C: for drivers.

There is an alternative (is it really ?) : you can boot DOS from a floppy.
Don't think that's that good.

Horst Laumer, Kantstrasse 107, D-1000 Berlin 12 ! Bang-Adress: Junk-Food
INET: hotte@sunrise.in-berlin.de                ! for Autorouters -- me --
UUCP: ..unido!fub!geminix!sunrise.in-berlin.de!hotte

woody@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Woody Baker @ Eagle Signal) (02/17/91)

I am looking for the source to prep.  I don't have FTP
access, rather I have only a simple mail capablility.  I happen to
have YACC and LEX, and would like a copy of prep running on a MS-DOS
machine.  If anyone knows where I can get one, (preferable via a
direct login and kermit or xmodem transfer of the source, and an executable
for MS-DOS, please drop me a note.

Thanks
Woody Baker
woody@chinacat