[net.ham-radio] swl questions

RSHAPIRO@BBNA.ARPA (10/02/84)

From:  Richard Shapiro <RSHAPIRO@BBNA.ARPA>

Date: Tue 2 Oct 84 09:31:55-MDT
From: William G. Martin <WMartin@SIMTEL20.ARPA>
Subject: Re: swl questions
To: Flowers@YALE.ARPA
cc: RSHAPIRO@BBNA.ARPA, WMartin@SIMTEL20.ARPA

I think it is important that the SWL traffic remains on the hams discussion
list, as is, for several reasons:

1. It exists now. There is a lot of overhead in setting up a list, especially
if you do it right, with an archive location, a recognized moderator, a
"list-request" address, and a host that supports lists and lets the archives
use disk space. We have this now, and it is a waste to duplicate it, even if
we could. It may not be possible to support a viable SWL-only list.

2. It is now gatewayed between ARPA/MILNET's Info-Hams and USENET's
net.ham-radio. This is not an easy thing to achieve, and is quite
valuable, as it expands the community enormously.

3. Though there are many ham areas of no interest to SWL's, and vice-versa,
there is truly a lot of overlap. It is BAD to artifically subdivide the
groups and then have to duplicate or transship messages of mutual interest
(general-coverage receiver reviews, propagation info, etc.) between them.
Hams should be interested in encouraging SWLs to consider becoming hams,
and exposure to the discussion/info is good for that. Hams can easily be
SWL's if they know there is something worth listening to. The interaction
is mutually beneficial.

4. It is working now; don't fix it.

Will

PS -- Feel free to forward this to the list, if you want.
-------
-------