[comp.unix.msdos] Using floppy diskettes on Sun

wang@math.ufl.edu (03/14/91)

Hello, you all.

For those of you who use SUN Sparc workstations with floppy drives, I
have a question to ask for help: Is it possible, and how to transfer
DOS ASCII files from floppies to a SUN Sparc station? According to
SUN's booklet, the floppy drives for SUN Sparc stations are MS-DOS
compatible. Does it mean that we can transfer files from and/or to
floppies that which can be used on PCs? I don't think files transfered
with the "bar" command are MS-DOS compatible...

jorgi@cs.uow.edu.au (George B Zamroz) (03/14/91)

wang@math.ufl.edu writes:

>Hello, you all.

>For those of you who use SUN Sparc workstations with floppy drives, I
>have a question to ask for help: Is it possible, and how to transfer
>DOS ASCII files from floppies to a SUN Sparc station? According to
>SUN's booklet, the floppy drives for SUN Sparc stations are MS-DOS
>compatible. Does it mean that we can transfer files from and/or to
>floppies that which can be used on PCs? I don't think files transfered
>with the "bar" command are MS-DOS compatible...

When they say that the floppy driver are MS-DOS compatible, they mean that they
use the same physical format (80 tracks, double-sided, 1.44MB). Unfortunately
the file-systems are totally different, so unless you have a program on the PC
that understands the a UNIX file system, or a program on the SUN that
understands the MS-DOS file system, you are stuck. BTW, the drive on an Apple
Macintosh is also MS-DOS compatible, but you still need the Apple File Exchange
program to transfer files bask and forth between MS-DOS and MAC OS.

P.S. What do you mean by the "bar" command? (Is it some form of archive
format).
--
George B. Zamroz, University of Wollongong, Australia
Masters Student (Computer Science)

soulard@iznogoud.inria.fr (Herve Soulard) (03/14/91)

A tool that can read, write, format, etc... DOS diskettes on Sparc Station, and other systems is available and is called 'Mtools'.

I don't remembber the original site, but you can get it on nuri.inria.fr (128.93.1.26) via anonymous ftp in the directory /pub/ftp/system (mtools-2.0.tar.Z).

		Herve Soulard.

hartanto@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Ismed Hartanto) (03/15/91)

jorgi@cs.uow.edu.au (George B Zamroz) writes:

>wang@math.ufl.edu writes:

>>Hello, you all.

>>For those of you who use SUN Sparc workstations with floppy drives, I
>>have a question to ask for help: Is it possible, and how to transfer
>>DOS ASCII files from floppies to a SUN Sparc station? According to
>>SUN's booklet, the floppy drives for SUN Sparc stations are MS-DOS
>>compatible. Does it mean that we can transfer files from and/or to
>>floppies that which can be used on PCs? I don't think files transfered
>>with the "bar" command are MS-DOS compatible...

>When they say that the floppy driver are MS-DOS compatible, they mean that they
>use the same physical format (80 tracks, double-sided, 1.44MB). Unfortunately
>the file-systems are totally different, so unless you have a program on the PC
>that understands the a UNIX file system, or a program on the SUN that
>understands the MS-DOS file system, you are stuck. BTW, the drive on an Apple
>Macintosh is also MS-DOS compatible, but you still need the Apple File Exchange
>program to transfer files bask and forth between MS-DOS and MAC OS.

>P.S. What do you mean by the "bar" command? (Is it some form of archive
>format).
>--
>George B. Zamroz, University of Wollongong, Australia
>Masters Student (Computer Science)
>Internet: jorgi@cs.uow.edu.au

There is a program called : pax2exe which
can read sun's disk on a MSDOS machine.
Here's a quoation from the README file of the progra  :

The Pax utility is being distributed free of charge and may be
redistributed by others in either source or binary form.  (See the
liscensing section for restrictions)

The source for Pax has been posted to comp.sources.unix on USENET
and will also be available by anonymous FTP on the Internet from uunet.uu.net
moon.src.honeywell.com and from ucb-arpa.berkeley.edu

The author is Mark H. Colburn.

Hope this'll help.

- ismed

mstr@vipunen.hut.fi (Markus Strand) (03/15/91)

In article <1991Mar14.063212.14623@cs.uow.edu.au> jorgi@cs.uow.edu.au (George B Zamroz) writes:
>wang@math.ufl.edu writes:

>use the same physical format (80 tracks, double-sided, 1.44MB). Unfortunately
>the file-systems are totally different, so unless you have a program on the PC
>that understands the a UNIX file system, or a program on the SUN that
>understands the MS-DOS file system, you are stuck. BTW, the drive on an Apple

You could try using tar to transfer programs. The diskstation would act as
a tape and you would put in raw data wuthout any file systems and
then take out the raw data.

This work on Sony NEWS workstations and I think this should work
on almost any hardware.

There are several PC-tars available from ftp-servers.

Markus Strand
mstr@vipunen.hut.fi

rahardj@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Budi Rahardjo) (03/15/91)

In article <1991Mar13.170844.3504@math.ufl.edu> wang@math.ufl.edu writes:
>Is it possible, and how to transfer
>DOS ASCII files from floppies to a SUN Sparc station? According to
>SUN's booklet, the floppy drives for SUN Sparc stations are MS-DOS
>compatible. Does it mean that we can transfer files from and/or to
>floppies that which can be used on PCs?

Under Sun OS 4.1.1 you can "mount" the floppy drive as "/pcfs".
After you mount it, you can treat the files (MSDOS format) as
UNIX file system. (eg: ls /pcfs .... etc.)
(Unfortunately you have to be root to mount that floppy.
Here, we are trying to wrap it with a setuid program/script so
that general users can mount/unmount it)

The other solution is to find a collection of utilities called
"mtools". For example to get the directory of an MSDOS disk
you can use "mdir" command. (Forgot the ftp address for mtools)

>I don't think files transfered
>with the "bar" command are MS-DOS compatible...

No, they're not MSDOS compatible. (Although I'm still using "tar"
to archive some of my files on the floppy)

-- budi

sorensen@csuvax1.csu.murdoch.edu.au (Peter Sorensen) (03/15/91)

hartanto@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Ismed Hartanto) writes:

>jorgi@cs.uow.edu.au (George B Zamroz) writes:
>>wang@math.ufl.edu writes:
>>>Hello, you all.
>>>For those of you who use SUN Sparc workstations with floppy drives, I
>>>have a question to ask for help: Is it possible, and how to transfer
>>>DOS ASCII files from floppies to a SUN Sparc station? According to
>>>SUN's booklet, the floppy drives for SUN Sparc stations are MS-DOS
>>>compatible. Does it mean that we can transfer files from and/or to
>>use the same physical format (80 tracks, double-sided, 1.44MB). Unfortunately
>>the file-systems are totally different, so unless you have a program on the PC
>>that understands the a UNIX file system, or a program on the SUN that
Sunos 4.1.1 mounts floppies as pcfs type which can be read on a pc.
The floppy must be mounted by root. Fdformat can format floppies
as msdos readable floppies.
--
Peter Sorensen                 sorensen@csuvax1.murdoch.edu.au
Murdoch University

In article <1991Mar13.170844.3504@math.ufl.edu> wang@math.ufl.edu writes:
>Hello, you all.
>
>For those of you who use SUN Sparc workstations with floppy drives, I
>have a question to ask for help: Is it possible, and how to transfer
>DOS ASCII files from floppies to a SUN Sparc station?

Emmet Gray's "mtools" package should do the job, and without the need
to mount the diskette.  Version 2.0 was posted to unix-pc.sources in
September.  It should run on most unix boxes that have anything
resembling an MSDOS compatible floppy drive as well as handling
real DOS partitions on '386 HD's and VP/ix pseudo-volumes.

I like to make "zoo" archives on the unix side, then copy these to
dos compatible diskettes for a very portable archive.  You can extract
files with the DOS version of zoo if necessary, but if you reverse
the steps to go back to a unix machine the original unix filenames
are maintained.  (Mtools does include a tool to help with the renaming,
though, if you prefer not to use zoo.)

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us

src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de (Heiko Blume) (03/17/91)

soulard@iznogoud.inria.fr (Herve Soulard) writes:

>A tool that can read, write, format, etc... DOS diskettes on Sparc Station, and other systems is available and is called 'Mtools'.

>I don't remembber the original site, but you can get it on nuri.inria.fr (128.93.1.26) via anonymous ftp in the directory /pub/ftp/system (mtools-2.0.tar.Z).

just a note: there are three patches for mtools 2.0.
all the stuff is available on cerl.cecer.army.mil [129.229.1.101],
or from my machine (which is in europe).
--
      Heiko Blume <-+-> src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de <-+-> (+49 30) 691 88 93
                  public UNIX source archive [HST V.42bis]: