[comp.unix.msdos] BSD UNIX for 386sx pc?

laca@vipunen.hut.fi (Laszlo C Balint) (04/18/91)

I have read somewhere, that Berkley CSRG (sp?) is porting the BSD UNIX
to the PC-s. I would be quite much interested in this. If anyone has any
useful info, please email. (The best would be some contact with the
CSRG.)

Thanks in advance,

laca
--
Laszlo C Balint  (Magyar (=Hungarian) in Finland)  laca@vipunen.hut.fi
| ....That's all folks. Flames, if you must, by mail please. They're |

wendling@fifi.univ-lyon1.fr (Pierre Wendling) (04/18/91)

In article <LACA.91Apr18134324@vipunen.hut.fi> laca@vipunen.hut.fi (Laszlo C Balint) writes:
>I have read somewhere, that Berkley CSRG (sp?) is porting the BSD UNIX
>to the PC-s. I would be quite much interested in this. If anyone has any
>useful info, please email. (The best would be some contact with the
                    ^^^^^^^

Please post your answers, I'am very interested too !

						Thanx  ;-)
Wendling Pierre
INSA Lyon  , France
Internet    :  wendling@fifi.univ-lyon1.fr

racine@yunexus.yorku.ca (Jeff Racine) (04/19/91)

In article <1991Apr18.150444.4735@grasp1.univ-lyon1.fr> wendling@fifi.univ-lyon1.fr (Pierre Wendling) writes:
>In article <LACA.91Apr18134324@vipunen.hut.fi> laca@vipunen.hut.fi (Laszlo C Balint) writes:
>>I have read somewhere, that Berkley CSRG (sp?) is porting the BSD UNIX
>>to the PC-s.
>Please post your answers, I'am very interested too !

Yes, 4.2 BSD has been ported to the 80386 by the CSRG at UCB. They are
currently porting BSD 4.3.

For further details, see the Jan, Feb, and Mar issues of Dr. Doobs
Journal (a series of articles appear there describing the port).

Jeff Racine
racine@nexus.yorku.ca
racine@yunexus.UUCP

berggren@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Eric Berggren) (04/20/91)

racine@yunexus.yorku.ca (Jeff Racine) writes:

>In article <1991Apr18.150444.4735@grasp1.univ-lyon1.fr> wendling@fifi.univ-lyon1.fr (Pierre Wendling) writes:
>>In article <LACA.91Apr18134324@vipunen.hut.fi> laca@vipunen.hut.fi (Laszlo C Balint) writes:
>>>I have read somewhere, that Berkley CSRG (sp?) is porting the BSD UNIX
>>>to the PC-s.
>>Please post your answers, I'am very interested too !

>Yes, 4.2 BSD has been ported to the 80386 by the CSRG at UCB. They are
>currently porting BSD 4.3.

>For further details, see the Jan, Feb, and Mar issues of Dr. Doobs
>Journal (a series of articles appear there describing the port).

  I am trying to get some more information on this project in detail (the
DDJ series appears to me more of an intro to UNIX than it is about the
actuall porting of BSD) and possibly the source. Despite a large number
of mailings to both 'william' and 'lynne', I have received no response
over the past three months.
  Anybody have any luck or information, post or e-mail. Thanx.

-e.b.

  Eric Berggren             |         "Life is a Turing Test;
  Computer Science/Eng.     |           We're all automatons!"
  berggren@eecs.cs.pdx.edu  |              - (click, whir, buzz, chirp)

rdc@nebulus.ampr.org (Dalton Clark) (04/21/91)

berggren@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Eric Berggren) writes:

>racine@yunexus.yorku.ca (Jeff Racine) writes:

>>In article <1991Apr18.150444.4735@grasp1.univ-lyon1.fr> wendling@fifi.univ-lyon1.fr (Pierre Wendling) writes:
>>>In article <LACA.91Apr18134324@vipunen.hut.fi> laca@vipunen.hut.fi (Laszlo C Balint) writes:

>  I am trying to get some more information on this project in detail (the
>DDJ series appears to me more of an intro to UNIX than it is about the
>actuall porting of BSD) and possibly the source. Despite a large number
>of mailings to both 'william' and 'lynne', I have received no response
>over the past three months.
>  Anybody have any luck or information, post or e-mail. Thanx.

>-e.b.

And now I write too.

I've tried sending mail to them also and no response.
There is interest in 386BSD in my area but we can't get a reply from the
sources. If anyone knows who or where it can be found please mail me.

rdc@nebulus

mwizard@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Craig Nelson) (04/21/91)

rdc@nebulus.ampr.org (Dalton Clark) writes:

>>DDJ series appears to me more of an intro to UNIX than it is about the
>>actuall porting of BSD) and possibly the source. Despite a large number
>>of mailings to both 'william' and 'lynne', I have received no response
>>over the past three months.
>>  Anybody have any luck or information, post or e-mail. Thanx.

>>-e.b.

>>==============================================================================

>And now I write too.
>
>I've tried sending mail to them also and no response.
>There is interest in 386BSD in my area but we can't get a reply from the
>sources. If anyone knows who or where it can be found please mail me.

	No shit... where the hell can I find out about this crap ?  I have
a 386/33 w/200meg and 8 meg RAM that's collecting dust running DOS.

Later

 []====================================================================[]
 || Craig R. Nelson                | CCSofD Software Inc.              ||
 || Programmer                     | Beaverton, OR, 97005              ||
 || mwizard@eecs.ee.pdx.edu        | (unlisted on the net)             ||

racine@yunexus.yorku.ca (Jeff Racine) (04/22/91)

In article <2426@pdxgate.UUCP> berggren@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Eric Berggren) writes:
>racine@yunexus.yorku.ca (Jeff Racine) writes:

> (stuff deleted) Despite a large number
>of mailings to both 'william' and 'lynne', I have received no response
>over the past three months.
>  Anybody have any luck or information, post or e-mail. Thanx.

Here is the reply I received:

From okeeffe.Berkeley.EDU!lynne Tue Feb  5 16:40:31 1991

Thank you for your inquiry on 386BSD.

386BSD is distributed by the University of California at Berkeley CSRG.
You should contact them at 415-642-7780 when 386BSD is available.
In the meantime, the February issue will feature several complete and
freely redistributable programs used in the actual 386BSD port.

BTW, here is the University's official statement on the subject: " The
386BSD support will be available in February as part of a revision of
the 1989 Networking Release distribution.  One very important fact to
remember is, that although the 386BSD itself support is freely
redistributable, much of the rest of the operating system and
utilities require source licenses.  Therefore, the February
distribution will NOT be a complete system and cannot be booted or run
on a 386 machine.  The distribution will require only a Berkeley
license and distribution fee.  Previous fees were approximately $500,
but the actual fee has not yet been determined.

The 4.4BSD release is scheduled for the middle of 1991, and
additional, support for the 386 will be made available at that time."

Thank you for your comments on the article.  Please feel free to write
the Editor at Dr. Dobbs about 386BSD, so we can keep them coming.

Bill and Lynne Jolitz.

Jeff Racine
racine@nexus.yorku.ca
racine@yunexus.UUCP

berggren@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Eric Berggren) (04/22/91)

rdc@nebulus.ampr.org (Dalton Clark) writes:

>berggren@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Eric Berggren) writes:

>>racine@yunexus.yorku.ca (Jeff Racine) writes:

>>  I am trying to get some more information on this project in detail (the
>>DDJ series appears to me more of an intro to UNIX than it is about the
>>actuall porting of BSD) and possibly the source. Despite a large number
>>of mailings to both 'william' and 'lynne', I have received no response
>>over the past three months.
>>  Anybody have any luck or information, post or e-mail. Thanx.

>>-e.b.

>>==============================================================================

>And now I write too.
>
>I've tried sending mail to them also and no response.
>There is interest in 386BSD in my area but we can't get a reply from the
>sources. If anyone knows who or where it can be found please mail me.

  Yeah. I've started recently sending to

lynne@okeeffe.berkeley.edu
william@okeeffe.berkeley.edu

  And I know they have been on. I even requested them to state that if they
are not the people to talk to, who should I ask?

  My reply:

  <end reply>

  Talking about violating UNIX etiquete. <geez> :)

mwizard@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Craig Nelson) writes:

>rdc@nebulus.ampr.org (Dalton Clark) writes:

>>>DDJ series appears to me more of an intro to UNIX than it is about the
>>>actuall porting of BSD) and possibly the source. Despite a large number
>>>of mailings to both 'william' and 'lynne', I have received no response
>>>over the past three months.
>>>  Anybody have any luck or information, post or e-mail. Thanx.

>>>-e.b.

>>>==============================================================================

>>And now I write too.
>>
>>I've tried sending mail to them also and no response.
>>There is interest in 386BSD in my area but we can't get a reply from the
>>sources. If anyone knows who or where it can be found please mail me.

>	No shit... where the hell can I find out about this crap ?  I have
>a 386/33 w/200meg and 8 meg RAM that's collecting dust running DOS.

  Shame on you! Here let's trade for my 286 and you won't feel quite as
guilty. :)

-e.b.

  Eric Berggren             |         "Life is a Turing Test;
  Computer Science/Eng.     |           We're all automatons!"
  berggren@eecs.cs.pdx.edu  |              - (click, whir, buzz, chirp)

berggren@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Eric Berggren) (04/22/91)

   Wow! You actually got a reply? Quick, foreward me a copy of your message
so I can use it as a template for other correspondence. :)

glenn@gamow.ces.cwru.edu (Glenn Crocker) (04/23/91)

In article <2446@pdxgate.UUCP> berggren@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Eric Berggren) writes:

      Wow! You actually got a reply? Quick, foreward me a copy of your message
   so I can use it as a template for other correspondence. :)

   -e.b.

I've corresponded with william@okeefe.berkeley.edu on several occasions
about the 386bsd port, and have always found him to be quick to respond
and very helpful in his responses.  Please don't be so quick to judge him.
I'm sure he's got reams (megs?) of email as a result of the DDJ articles.

--
Glenn Crocker                   |  Your milage may vary.
glenn@ces.cwru.edu              |  Light bar not for occupant protection.

berggren@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Eric Berggren) (04/24/91)

glenn@gamow.ces.cwru.edu (Glenn Crocker) writes:

>>In article <2446@pdxgate.UUCP> berggren@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Eric Berggren) writes:

>>      Wow! You actually got a reply? Quick, foreward me a copy of your message
>>   so I can use it as a template for other correspondence. :)

>>   -e.b.

>I've corresponded with william@okeefe.berkeley.edu on several occasions
>about the 386bsd port, and have always found him to be quick to respond
>and very helpful in his responses.  Please don't be so quick to judge him.
>I'm sure he's got reams (megs?) of email as a result of the DDJ articles.

  Sorry. But at least a couple of those reams are my messages. I was very
polite in my inquiries. But I have never (to this day) received a single
reply. (Yes, our mail system is functioning [I think])

  Well, the reply that somebody posted was helpful. I am still curious as
to what exactly comes with 386BSD (is it assumed to be available yet)?
Is it the full set of binaries and sources with installation utilities, or
simply sources (with AT&T stuff removed) that must be ported by the user?

glenn@curie.ces.cwru.edu (Glenn Crocker) (04/24/91)

In article <2463@pdxgate.UUCP> berggren@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Eric Berggren) writes:

   glenn@gamow.ces.cwru.edu (Glenn Crocker) writes:

   >I've corresponded with william@okeefe.berkeley.edu on several occasions
   >about the 386bsd port, and have always found him to be quick to respond
   >and very helpful in his responses.  Please don't be so quick to judge him.
   >I'm sure he's got reams (megs?) of email as a result of the DDJ articles.

     Well, the reply that somebody posted was helpful. I am still curious as
   to what exactly comes with 386BSD (is it assumed to be available yet)?
   Is it the full set of binaries and sources with installation utilities, or
   simply sources (with AT&T stuff removed) that must be ported by the user?

Here's what I know:  (Note that this is NOT official information in any
way, and that you should take all of this with big grains of NaCl and that
if ANYONE from Berkeley tells you something contradictory to this, take
THEIR word for it.)

Currently, BSD runs on 386's.  The code isn't entirely AT&T free,
though.  For some amount of money (it was ~$500 in the past), you can
get the BSD Reno (which doesn't include 386) code WITHOUT the AT&T
code.  This won't boot, but it's fun(?) to read.  If you have an AT&T
source license, you can get BSD that will boot.  It will most likely
cost some amount of money, but I don't know how much.  The version of
BSD that you can get if you have an AT&T license will boot, but
doesn't include the 386 code.  Therefore, there is (to my knowlege) no
official channel for getting a bootable version of BSD for the 386.
There may or may not be ways to get a bootable version currently, but
you'll have to mail william@okeefee.berkeley.edu for more info.

I'm sorry I can't be more helpful, but this is the vast majority of
what I know about the situation.  I've been trying to get the code
for a little over a year, and have yet to get it to boot.  Personally,
I would recommend waiting until the 4.4 release and getting that.

Also, there are ways for people with BSD licenses (which implies an
AT&T source license [which implies .edu domain :-] ) to get Mach for
the 386 from CMU.  If you don't have an AT&T/BSD license, Mt. Xinu
might be able to help you, but don't quote me on that.

     Eric Berggren             |         "Life is a Turing Test;
     Computer Science/Eng.     |           We're all automatons!"
     berggren@eecs.cs.pdx.edu  |              - (click, whir, buzz, chirp)

--
Glenn Crocker                   |  Your milage may vary.
glenn@ces.cwru.edu              |  Light bar not for occupant protection.
CWRU, Cleveland, OH             |  Don't drive on frozen lakes.
W (216)368-6133 H (216)754-1314 |  Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

berggren@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Eric Berggren) (04/25/91)

  Well, finally got a reply... Basically to the effect "shut up and quit
sending us all of these messages!" :)
  Anyway, they informed me those who mailed are placed on some sort of list
and information will be sent to them when the "tape is released." That's
all that has been said to me, so I guess we hold our breaths 'till then.
<gasp>