[comp.unix.msdos] clists in ATT SysV/386 R3.2

vette@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (David Hwang) (05/10/91)

Can anyone explain what clists are, how they could all get used up, and
how to free some more up or add some?  This is for ATT SysV/386 R3.2.

--
David Hwang
vette@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us

rfarris@rfengr.com (Rick Farris) (05/10/91)

In article <8kXo22w164w@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us> vette@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (David Hwang) writes:

> Can anyone explain what clists are, how they could all get
> used up, and how to free some more up or add some?  This
> is for ATT SysV/386 R3.2.

Quoting from "Monitor: Performance Analyser for UNIX Systems
Reference Manual"

	"The number of clist buffers (character buffers)
	should be set to five to ten per terminal.  If you
	are running networking software over serial ports,
	you may need to allocate somewhat more.  If you run
	out of clist buffers, a message on the console will
	tell you so.  On systems with intelligent serial I/O
	controllers, it is often possible to reduce clist
	buffers to a minimum, leaving only enough to keep
	the console operating.  You should check with the
	manufacturer of your serial I/O controller to check
	whether clists are used and free unwanted buffers."

Monitor is a product of Anvil^H^H^H^H^H Stallion
Technologies, Inc.  (408) 988 3622.

For a review of Monitor, see the article entitled "Tuning
Your System for Maximum Efficiency" in the November, 1990
Unix World magazine.  (Vol VII #11).

--
Rick Farris  RF Engineering POB M Del Mar, CA 92014  voice (619) 259-6793
rfarris@rfengr.com     ...!ucsd!serene!rfarris      serenity bbs 259-7757