[comp.unix.msdos] FAS and serial rodents

david@csource.oz.au (david nugent) (05/13/91)

I seem to have only on problem running fas 2.0 under ISC 2.2.0; all else
works brilliantly except that MicroSoft's MOUSE.COM v6.24 no longer
recognises the presence of a serial mouse on the serial port.  Certainly
the DOS task has no problem in seeing the port - all other software that
I run  which uses it has no problems at all, both under Unix and VP/ix -
in fact the majority of it works vastly better.  X11 has no problems in
using the mouse at all.

The port does have a National Semiconductor 16550AFN, but it has exactly
the same problems with a 16450 plugged into the same slot.  Also the same
result if I used COM1 instead of COM1MOUSE in vpix.cnf.  I have enabled
full hardware flow control.

Any ideas?  Before I start digging; has this perhaps already been solved?
Should I simply upgrade my mouse driver (I'm guessing that this is where
the problem is)?  If so - what versions do work?

Regards,

    david

--
 David Nugent                                      Unique Computing Pty Limited
 Communications/PC/Unix Consulting           3:632/348@fidonet 28:4100/1@signet

gemini@geminix.in-berlin.de (Uwe Doering) (05/14/91)

david@csource.oz.au (david nugent) writes:

>I seem to have only on problem running fas 2.0 under ISC 2.2.0; all else
>works brilliantly except that MicroSoft's MOUSE.COM v6.24 no longer
>recognises the presence of a serial mouse on the serial port.  Certainly
>the DOS task has no problem in seeing the port - all other software that
>I run  which uses it has no problems at all, both under Unix and VP/ix -
>in fact the majority of it works vastly better.  X11 has no problems in
>using the mouse at all.

I'm using the version 6.24A together with a Genius mouse in Microsoft
mode. This works without any problems. Try to access the mouse via
a device with a minor device number of 0 + port#. That's what I do
because the mouse has neither modem nor hardware flow control.

If this doesn't help, try a different version of the mouse driver.
Unfortunately, those drivers tend to have a fragile timing and do
all sorts of special tricks. This can cause problems with VP/ix
because the serial ports are completely emulated in software, and
in some cases this emulation isn't accurate enough.

    Uwe
--
Uwe Doering  |  INET : gemini@geminix.in-berlin.de