[comp.unix.msdos] LaTeX for PC. - Try emTeX

markv@hls.com (05/29/91)

In article <43740@netnews.upenn.edu>, jaffar@gradient.cis.upenn.edu (Jaffar Rehman) writes:

> I am looking for a version of LaTeX which would run on an IBM PC or
> compatible. I know a large number of files that would comprise the
> package are available for anonymous ftp somewhere. I would, however,
> appreciate a response from someone who has already put these files
> together into a running package for their PC and would like to share
> the information.
>

> Thanks much,
>
> Jaffar

I've obtained, installed, and am using a package called 'emTeX', put
together by Eberhard Mattes. This is available on a few ftp sites, but
I can't remember where I got it. The documentation mentions:
rusmv1.rus.uni-stuttgart.de
terminator.cc.umich.edu

The documentation is not intended for someone who is not familiar with
Tex or LaTeX, but you can set it up and have it working relatively
easily. It also includes MetaFont, PiCTeX and TeXcad, plus DVI drivers
for a host of printers and lasers ( and VGA screens )

It is intended for plain MS-DOS, and  benifits enormously from disk caching.

Hope this helps.
--
Mark van der Pol | "We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty"
 markv@hls.com   |Vroom Vrondel, spokesman for the association of Sages, Illum-