[comp.unix.msdos] Is there X11R4 for SysV rel 4.0?

hendrik@cca.vu.nl (Hendrik te Winkel) (05/28/91)

Hi there,
We have our capmus license from AT&T sys V release 4.0 for the 386 machines
now, and with them the sources. What is include are sources for X11R3 -
OpenLook. But is there an X11R4 distribution for this Unix? I couldn't
find that info in my own X11R4 tapes, not in the Relase notes nor in the config
directory. And I couldn't find on the McSun.EU.net ftp server, where they have
lots of official distributions.
So the question is: Is there X11R4 for AT&T Unix sys V rel 4.0? Or is it not
necessary to have them at all? (Maybe their own OpenLook version is OK as it is?)

Thanks for any information/help/answer on this!
Hendrik
--
Hendrik te Winkel hendrik@cca.vu.nl
	You think your life is so empty, but it's really so full

gprieur@pyramid.pyramid.com (Gordon Prieur) (05/28/91)

In article <1991May28.080750.4955@cca.vu.nl> hendrik@cca.vu.nl (Hendrik te Winkel) writes:
>Hi there,
>We have our capmus license from AT&T sys V release 4.0 for the 386 machines
>now, and with them the sources. What is include are sources for X11R3 -
>OpenLook. But is there an X11R4 distribution for this Unix? I couldn't
>find that info in my own X11R4 tapes, not in the Relase notes nor in the config
>directory. And I couldn't find on the McSun.EU.net ftp server, where they have
>lots of official distributions.
>So the question is: Is there X11R4 for AT&T Unix sys V rel 4.0? Or is it not
>necessary to have them at all? (Maybe their own OpenLook version is OK as it is?)
>
>Thanks for any information/help/answer on this!
>Hendrik
>--
>Hendrik te Winkel hendrik@cca.vu.nl

    I don't know of any publicly available sources for X11R4 on SVR4, but
its not very difficult to take X11R4 and make it work on SVR4 (this is only
true if you already have the X11R4 source to ATT's X11R3).

    The main file you need to fix is the X11R4 version of Xstreams.c.
Some other files which may need modification (I don't remember for sure
which ones did...) are XlibInt.c and XConnDis.c.

    The Xstreams.c from X11R4 is much cleaner code than the the one from
ATT (the ATT one included a .c file and was missing some bug fixes the MIT
one had). We ``fixed'' the MIT Xstreams.c with code excepts from the ATT
version rather than replacing the MIT one with the ATT one. We also have
a file called input.c with the functions BytesReadable, ReadFromServer,
and ReadvFromServer in it (I think we wrote this file, but I'm not positive).

    We don't sell a source license to our SVR4 X products yet, so I doubt
that you could get the source from us. Its probably more cost effective for
you to do it yourself anyway.
--
		 Gordon Prieur
      -m-------  Pyramid Technology Corporation

pinkas@almond.intel.com (Israel Pinkas) (05/29/91)

In article <1991May28.080750.4955@cca.vu.nl> hendrik@cca.vu.nl (Hendrik te Winkel) writes:

> We have our capmus license from AT&T sys V release 4.0 for the 386
> machines now, and with them the sources. What is include are sources for
> X11R3 - OpenLook. But is there an X11R4 distribution for this Unix?

Contact AT&T.  I don't know about availability, but I know that they have
it, as I have seen the sources.  You may have to get an update to Unix, as
AT&T seems to bundle Unix and XWin together, but your AT&T rep can give you
all the details.  Sorry, I don't have the product code or name.

-Israel Pinkas
 Intel Corp
--
--------------------------------------
Disclaimer: The above are my personal opinions, and in no way represent

UUCP:	{amdcad,decwrl,hplabs,oliveb,pur-ee,qantel}!intelca!mipos3!st860!pinkas
ARPA:	pinkas%st860.intel.com@relay.cs.net
CSNET:	pinkas@st860.intel.com

jim@piggy.ucsb.edu (Jim Lick) (05/29/91)

Why not try Thomas Roell's X386?  The SVR4 version is still in beta, but
it works well, and in my opinion is a thousand times better than what comes
with SVR4.  To get them:

The official ftp site is flop.informatik.tu-muenchen.de (131.159.8.35).
The official releases which works for SVR3.2 is in /pub/i386/X11R4.
The beta release, which also works for SVR4 is in /pub/i386/beta.  The
necessary binaries are in the file X386.SVR4.1.1b.tar.Z and the patches
required to the standard X11R4 sources are in X386.1.1b.tar.Z.  You will
also need the fonts, which are in /pub/i386/X11R4 in the file
X11R4fonts.tar.  (The fonts are also available in smaller chunks if you
have trouble with large files.)

If you are in the US, the latest SVR4 binary (April 15), patches, and
fonts are available (unless Mr. Roell objects) on piggy.ucsb.edu
(128.111.72.50) in the directory /pub/X386, same filenames as above.
Please use after 6pm Pacific, as these are large files.

Unless you are particularly adventurous, just grab the binaries and the
fonts.   Unpack them in the root directory and then look in
/usr/lib/X11/X386/install at the install.sh script.  I had to munge it
a bit to work with UHC SVR4.0.2.  Your mileage may vary.

Remember, this is a beta release!

                            Jim Lick
Work: University of California	| Home: 6657 El Colegio #24
      Santa Barbara		|       Isla Vista, CA 93117-4280
      Dept. of Mechanical Engr. |	(805) 968-0189 voice/msg
      2311 Engr II Building     |	(805) 968-1239 data
      (805) 893-4113            |	(805) 968-2734 fax
      jim@ferkel.ucsb.edu	|	Soon: jim@cave.sba.ca.us

roell@informatik.tu-muenchen.de (Thomas Roell) (05/31/91)

>Unless you are particularly adventurous, just grab the binaries and the
>fonts.   Unpack them in the root directory and then look in
>/usr/lib/X11/X386/install at the install.sh script.  I had to munge it
>a bit to work with UHC SVR4.0.2.  Your mileage may vary.

Some things to remeber for SVR4:

o Do not use the Xque* drivers. They may fail or cause a panic.
o Althought the fonts in X11R4fonts.tar are compressed, some SVR4s have
  problems with pipes to subprocesses. Thus you should uncompress all fonts,
  and then run 'mkfontdir .' in every fontdirectory.
o If you kernel ist build with the consem module, you should define
  CONSEM=no in you enviornment. Otherwise xterm won't run.

- Thomas
E-Mail (domain):	 roell@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.de
UUCP (if above fails):   roell@tumult.{uucp | informatik.tu-muenchen.de}
famous last words: "diskspace - the final frontier..."