[comp.unix.msdos] using dos diskettes on a sun

matelgar@nmsu.edu (Marek Telgarsky) (06/15/91)

	I would like to be able manipulate files on a DOS diskette
while sitting at a SUN4. There is incompatibility with the file
allocator that unix uses with the one that dos does. Does anyone have
that type of a program, know of a site of where to find one, or has enough
information to program one (in C)? It is possible to read the blocks
on a dos diskette on a sun4, but it is straight reading and no
interpretation by the system. Hence, there is no way to seperate files
or to see whether there are different files. Any help would be
appreciated.
				Thanks in advance
				  Marek Telgarsky
				matelgar@dante.nmsu.edu

stokes@churchy.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Perry Stokes) (06/15/91)

In article <MATELGAR.91Jun14131800@dante.nmsu.edu> matelgar@nmsu.edu (Marek Telgarsky) writes:

>	I would like to be able manipulate files on a DOS diskette
>while sitting at a SUN4. There is incompatibility with the file
>allocator that unix uses with the one that dos does. Does anyone have
>that type of a program, know of a site of where to find one, or has enough
>information to program one (in C)? It is possible to read the blocks
>on a dos diskette on a sun4, but it is straight reading and no
>interpretation by the system. Hence, there is no way to seperate files
>or to see whether there are different files. Any help would be
>appreciated.

Have you looked at mtools?

It's a set of programs for reading/writing/creating MS DOS filesystems
on the 3.5" disk drive on a sun4.

--
Perry Stokes
stokes@ai.mit.edu

saunders@gesundheit.West.Sun.COM (Gene Saunders) (06/16/91)

In article <16509@life.ai.mit.edu> stokes@churchy.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Perry Stokes) writes:
>In article <MATELGAR.91Jun14131800@dante.nmsu.edu> matelgar@nmsu.edu (Marek Telgarsky) writes:
>>
>>	I would like to be able manipulate files on a DOS diskette
>>while sitting at a SUN4. There is incompatibility with the file
>>allocator that unix uses with the one that dos does. Does anyone have
>>that type of a program, know of a site of where to find one, or has enough
>>information to program one (in C)? It is possible to read the blocks
>>on a dos diskette on a sun4, but it is straight reading and no
>>interpretation by the system. Hence, there is no way to seperate files
>>or to see whether there are different files. Any help would be
>>appreciated.
>
>Have you looked at mtools?
>
>It's a set of programs for reading/writing/creating MS DOS filesystems
>on the 3.5" disk drive on a sun4.

I tried emailing directly to stokes@churchy.gnu.ai.mit.edu, but that bouunced,
hence the post to the net.

SunOS (at least the current SunOS 4.1.1-B revision - I think it started
in SunOS 4.1) includes support for PC-formatted floppies.  Run a man
page on "pcfs" (PC filesystem) and you'll see what you're after.
Basically, you mount the floppy disc onto Unix:

	# mount -t pcfs /dev/fd0 /pcfs

and then you can "cp", "mv", etc files from Unix onto that floppy.
Unix filenames are mapped into the DOS 8+3 format (longfilename.wk3
becomes longfile.wk3, for example).  I use this all the time when
moving stuff from PCs onto my SPARCstation1+ at work .. and mtools is
no longer needed.

--
Gene Saunders	 | gene.saunders@West.Sun.COM | Save a tree; use AnswerBook.
Sun Microsystems | ..!uunet!sun!gsaunders     |