[comp.unix.misc] What happened to Unix Review?

henkl@glorantha (Henk Langeveld - Sun Nederland) (09/11/90)

Last year I frequently bought the magazine Unix Review.  I liked its style
and contents.  However, since early this year, I haven't seen the mag
anymore.  Does it still exist?  The manager of the bookshop said that the
magazine wasn't produced anymore.  As this was second (or even third) -hand
information, I have my doubts.  Especially since I saw an editorial in
Computer Language where the editor (Hildebrand?) mentions he's sitting
across the corridor of the Unix Review's editor.  This was sometime in June
or July, so it described the situation around March or so.

So, does Unix Review still exist?  If not, do you know of any publications
along the lines of Unix review or Unix World?

Thanks!

--
Henk Langeveld,  (henkl@holland.sun.com // henkl@sun.nl)
Confiction, 48th world SF Con: Aug 23-27th, The Hague.

jal@occrsh.ATT.COM (J_Allen_Schones) (09/12/90)

henkl@glorantha (Henk Langeveld - Sun Nederland) writes:

+------------------------------------------------------------
| Last year I frequently bought the magazine Unix Review.  I liked its style
| and contents.  However, since early this year, I haven't seen the mag
| anymore.  Does it still exist?  The manager of the bookshop said that the
 [text deleted]
+------------------------------------------------------------

The address for UNIX Review is:

	Network:	{uunet,attmail}!beast!ureview
	USMAIL:		500 Howard St.
			San Francisco, CA 94105
	PHONE:		+1 415 397 1881

	Rates:		1 year: US$47

No affiliation, other than satisfied customer.

--
J. Allen Schones     | Uucp: att!okcedu!jal     | Phone: +1 405 491 4950
AT&T Network Systems | Inet: jal@okcedu.att.com |   Fax: +1 405 491 4530

cew@isi.edu (Craig E. Ward) (09/12/90)

In article <2552@ehq-ir-1.UK.Sun.COM> henkl@glorantha (Henk Langeveld - Sun Nederland) writes:
>So, does Unix Review still exist?  If not, do you know of any publications
>along the lines of Unix review or Unix World?

As I write this, I have in front of me the September 1990 issue of "UNIX
Review."   The magazine is alive and kicking.

According to the TOC page, the network address of UNIX Review is:
{uunet,attmail}!beast!ureview.

--
Craig E. Ward <cew@venera.isi.edu> 	Slogan:	"nemo me impune lacessit"
USPS:	USC/Information Sciences Institute

ron@woan (Ronald S. Woan) (09/12/90)

In article <2552@ehq-ir-1.UK.Sun.COM>, henkl@glorantha (Henk Langeveld
- Sun Nederland) writes:
Henk> Last year I frequently bought the magazine Unix Review.  I liked
Henk> its style and contents.  However, since early this year, I
Henk> haven't seen the mag anymore.  Does it still exist?  The manager
Henk> of the bookshop said that the magazine wasn't produced anymore.
Henk> As this was second (or even third) -hand information, I have my
Henk> doubts.  Especially since I saw an editorial in Computer
Henk> Language where the editor (Hildebrand?) mentions he's sitting
Henk> across the corridor of the Unix Review's editor.  This was
Henk> sometime in June or July, so it described the situation around
Henk> March or so.

My bookstore still gets it... The inside cover infomation indicates
that their address is:
	500 Howard Street
	San Francisco, CA 94105

					Ron

+ Ronald S. Woan           woan@peyote.cactus.org or woan@soda.berkeley.edu +
+ other email addresses             Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +

tkevans@fallst.UUCP (Tim Evans) (09/12/90)

In <2552@ehq-ir-1.UK.Sun.COM> henkl@glorantha (Henk Langeveld - Sun Nederland) writes:

>Last year I frequently bought the magazine Unix Review.  I liked its style
>and contents.  However, since early this year, I haven't seen the mag
>anymore.  Does it still exist?

Mine comes in the mail every month.  But speaking of "lost" magazines,
how about that nice, new _Sun Expert_?  It started coming, I was
solicited for a "free" subscription, and then it never came again.
--
UUCP:		{rutgers|ames|uunet}!mimsy!woodb!fallst!tkevans
INTERNET:	tkevans%fallst@wb3ffv.ampr.org

abw@bucrsb.bu.edu (Al Wesolowsky) (09/13/90)

In article <1811@fallst.UUCP> tkevans@fallst.UUCP (Tim Evans) writes:

>how about that nice, new _Sun Expert_?  It started coming, I was
>solicited for a "free" subscription, and then it never came again.

I have the opposite problem...efforts to correct my mailing label have
produced 4 or 5 copies of each issue arriving here.  Seems they want to
ship the books out, all right.

A scrutiny of the masthead reveals:

          Sun Expert
          1330 Beacon Street
          Brookline, MA 02146

          (617) 739-7002
          dpryor@expert.com

Hope this helps.
                                   ---Al

| Al B. Wesolowsky  abw%bucrsb@bu-it.bu.edu or arc9arn@buacca.bitnet  |
|"The event you have just witnessed is based on sworn testimony. Can  |
| you prove that it didn't happen?" Criswell-_Plan 9 from Outer Space_|

ables@lot.ACA.MCC.COM (King Ables) (09/13/90)

>>Last year I frequently bought the magazine Unix Review.  I liked its style
>>and contents.  However, since early this year, I haven't seen the mag
>>anymore.  Does it still exist?

> Mine comes in the mail every month.  But speaking of "lost" magazines,
> how about that nice, new _Sun Expert_?  It started coming, I was
> solicited for a "free" subscription, and then it never came again.

Never came again?  Geez, I'll give you one of mine, I get THREE of 'em!!
Two at work and one at home.  And I only filled out ONE form!

Sounds like my experience with Unix Review.

Unix Review have sort of irritated me since I filled out my free
subscription renewal and never heard from them again.  I wondered
if they disappeared, too, but obviously they are around (though I'll bet
the people who knew this are all buying the mag.).

I would have bought it if they had sent me something saying "your free
subscription is over and if you wish to keep getting Unix Review you
should submit check or money order..."  But they said "just fill out
this free-subscription renewal and they'll keep coming."  I did so
and never heard anything more from them.  I assume they didn't approve
it the 2nd time (which if that's the plan, why did they solicit me to
fill out a free-sub. request in the first place??) but it would have
been nice if they had at least said something so I'd know to re-up
with a check.  As it is, I don't really care to keep up with them now.

-king

zebr360@ut-emx (Jerry Heyman) (09/13/90)

While everyone seems to be retelling their favorite foul up with Unix mags,
I couldn't resist adding my two cents.

Four times I've tried to subscribe to Unix Today.  Twice out of inserts from
a copy at work, once through usenet and contacting Mitch Greenberg (I believe
thats who I corresponded with) and finally when they sent me an invitation
to subscribe.  All of this in the past year, and I still have yet to receive
my first copy...

Guess I'll have to get all my information from the 'net' instead :-)

jerry

tvf@cci632.UUCP (Tom Frauenhofer) (09/14/90)

In article <37133@ut-emx> zebr360@ut-emx (Jerry Heyman) writes:
>While everyone seems to be retelling their favorite foul up with Unix mags,
>I couldn't resist adding my two cents.

Neither can I.

>Four times I've tried to subscribe to Unix Today.  Twice out of inserts from
>a copy at work, once through usenet and contacting Mitch Greenberg (I believe
>thats who I corresponded with) and finally when they sent me an invitation
>to subscribe.  All of this in the past year, and I still have yet to receive
>my first copy...

I subscribed March '89, got my first issue November '89, got told to renew
December '89, it stopped Feb. '90.  I sent in my first renewal request in
Dec. '89.  I sent another in Jan. '90.  I sent e-mail to Mr. Greenberg, who
said he'd look into it.  He told me I didn't send in a card.

Another co-worker had a similar story.  I don't know anyone who's ever gotten
decent service from their subscription department.  This level of incompetance
is intolerable.

I think that they should either get their house in order or we should boycott
that rag.

>Guess I'll have to get all my information from the 'net' instead :-)

Probably more accurate a source. :-(
--
Thomas V. Frauenhofer, WA2YYW		cci632!ccird2!tvf@uunet.uu.net
	tvf1477@ma.isc.rit.edu      atexnet!kodak!swamps!frau!tvf@uunet.uu.net

tkevans@fallst.UUCP (Tim Evans) (09/15/90)

In <39899@cci632.UUCP> tvf@cci632.UUCP (Tom Frauenhofer) writes:

>In article <37133@ut-emx> zebr360@ut-emx (Jerry Heyman) writes:
>>While everyone seems to be retelling their favorite foul up with Unix mags,
>>I couldn't resist adding my two cents.

[ story of subscription woes deleted ]

>I don't know anyone who's ever gotten
>decent service from their subscription department.  This level of incompetance
>is intolerable.

>I think that they should either get their house in order or we should boycott
>that rag.

Hey, people, these are, after all *F*R*E*E* subscriptions.  How would you
suggest "boycotting" free magazines?  Would you _pay_ for returning them to
the publisher?  Throw them away when they arrive in your mailbox FREE
OF CHARGE?  Or maybe you should--horror of horrors--get a real PAID
subscription, from which you can expect real service.
--

mpd@anomaly.sbs.com (Michael P. Deignan) (09/16/90)

zebr360@ut-emx (Jerry Heyman) writes:

>Four times I've tried to subscribe to Unix Today.  Twice out of inserts from
>a copy at work, once through usenet and contacting Mitch Greenberg (I believe
>thats who I corresponded with) and finally when they sent me an invitation
>to subscribe.  All of this in the past year, and I still have yet to receive
>my first copy...

This sounds remarkably like what I've gone thru too. I even went as far as
sending in one of their "electronic applications" to utoday!circ, or
whatever the address is. Still, no Unix Today. And, no form of communication
indiciating if I was "rejected" for some reason...

MD
--
-- Michael P. Deignan, President     -- Small Business Systems, Inc. --
-- Domain: mpd@anomaly.sbs.com       -- Box 17220, Esmond, RI 02917  --

mpd@anomaly.sbs.com (Michael P. Deignan) (09/18/90)

tkevans@fallst.UUCP (Tim Evans) writes:

>Or maybe you should--horror of horrors--get a real PAID
>subscription, from which you can expect real service.

Sorry, doesn't wash. If a company is going to offer you a professional
courtesy rate (ie: free,) so that you can seek article content between
all the ads that pay for the magazine, the least they should do is provide
an acceptable level of customer service. The fact that the magazine is
free doesn't give them the right to be  incompetant.

MD
--

nolan@tssi.UUCP (Michael Nolan) (09/19/90)

In article <3220@anomaly.sbs.com> mpd@anomaly.sbs.com (Michael P. Deignan) writes:
>zebr360@ut-emx (Jerry Heyman) writes:
>
>>Four times I've tried to subscribe to Unix Today.  Twice out of inserts from
>>a copy at work, once through usenet and contacting Mitch Greenberg (I believe
>>thats who I corresponded with) and finally when they sent me an invitation
>>to subscribe.  All of this in the past year, and I still have yet to receive
>>my first copy...
>
>This sounds remarkably like what I've gone thru too. I even went as far as
>sending in one of their "electronic applications" to utoday!circ, or
>whatever the address is. Still, no Unix Today. And, no form of communication
>indiciating if I was "rejected" for some reason...

All it takes is a little patience.  I filled out my first Unix Today card last
October or November, and kept filling them out at trade shows.  I just started
getting it two or three weeks ago.  (I think the USENIX card did the trick!)

According to Mitch Wagner at Unix Today, their subscription department is a
bit slow.  Of course, Mitch has always been prone to hyperbole.
Mike Nolan                                 "To err is human, to forgive
Tailored Software Services, Inc.            is divine, to procrastinate is,
Lincoln, Nebraska (402) 423-1490            um, can I get back to you on that?"
UUCP: tssi!nolan   (feed site changed, dsndata!tssi!nolan might be better)
INTERNET:  nolan@pythia.unl.edu (only if the other address doesn't work)

machina@uts.amdahl.com (Miguel A. Ramirez) (09/19/90)

In article <2552@ehq-ir-1.UK.Sun.COM> henkl@glorantha (Henk Langeveld - Sun Nederland) writes:

>Last year I frequently bought the magazine Unix Review.  I liked its style
>and contents.  However, since early this year, I haven't seen the mag
>anymore.  Does it still exist?  The manager of the bookshop said that the
>magazine wasn't produced anymore.  As this was second (or even third) -hand
>information, I have my doubts.  Especially since I saw an editorial in
>Computer Language where the editor (Hildebrand?) mentions he's sitting
>across the corridor of the Unix Review's editor.  This was sometime in June
>or July, so it described the situation around March or so.
>
>So, does Unix Review still exist?  If not, do you know of any publications
>along the lines of Unix review or Unix World?

I find it difficult to beleive that people on the net would find this
rag useful. I read three times, and had enough. Not one useful bit of
information. Of course, lots of slick adds. I would drop this rag and
pick-up SUN's magazine.

Just my $0.02 worth.

--

Miguel A. Ramirez, | machina@uts.amdahl.com | {sun,uunet}!amdahl!machina

bgi@stbimbo.UUCP (Brad Isley) (09/19/90)

machina@uts.amdahl.com (Miguel A. Ramirez) writes:

>I find it difficult to beleive that people on the net would find this
>rag useful. I read three times, and had enough. Not one useful bit of
>information. Of course, lots of slick adds. I would drop this rag and
>pick-up SUN's magazine.

Huh?  Say what?  Just because we have access to news means we know everything
about C programming, legal issues and all the latest hardware?

Try again, dude, there's LOTS of useful information in there.

    Take a look at:
	Tested Mettle
	Rules of the Game
	Daemons and Dragons
	C Advisor
	Off the Shelf

Again, everyone on the 'net' isn't automagically promoted to guru status.
I'm the Unix 'guru' of a company with 400 employees (by default) and find
lots of useful info in this 'rag'.
--
-----------------------------\      / ..and Apple thought GUI was theirs!.. \
 bgi@SalesTech.COM 841-4169    \---| Yer local zymurgist & Amiga hacker/user |

machina@uts.amdahl.com (Miguel A. Ramirez) (09/21/90)

In article <140@stbimbo.UUCP> bgi@stbimbo.UUCP (Brad Isley) writes:
>machina@uts.amdahl.com (Miguel A. Ramirez) writes:
>
>>I find it difficult to beleive that people on the net would find this
>>rag useful. I read three times, and had enough. Not one useful bit of
>>information. Of course, lots of slick adds. I would drop this rag and
>>pick-up SUN's magazine.
>
>Huh?  Say what?  Just because we have access to news means we know everything
>about C programming, legal issues and all the latest hardware?
>
>Try again, dude, there's LOTS of useful information in there.
>
>    Take a look at:
>	Tested Mettle
>	Rules of the Game
>	Daemons and Dragons
>	C Advisor
>	Off the Shelf

If you learned something from these articles, good for you. I found nothing
new in them. I do not consider myself a "guru". Makes me wonder about your
definition of "guru". No, no let's not get into this one, it's pointless.
UNIX review is still a rag, IMHO.

>Again, everyone on the 'net' isn't automagically promoted to guru status.
>I'm the Unix 'guru' of a company with 400 employees (by default) and find
>lots of useful info in this 'rag'.

Good for you. You'd find even more in SUN's magazines. Look into them, guru.

--

Miguel A. Ramirez, | machina@uts.amdahl.com | {sun,uunet}!amdahl!machina

wagner@utoday.UUCP (Mitch Wagner) (09/21/90)

In article <1825@tssi.UUCP> nolan@tssi.UUCP (Michael Nolan) writes:

#bit slow.  Of course, Mitch has always been prone to hyperbole.

Now, Mike. I told you a million billion trillion zillion times to stop saying
that stuff about me....

--
                                                        -- Mitch Wagner

VOICE: 516/562-5758                                   GEnie: UNIX-TODAY
UUCP: wagner@utoday.com                          ...uunet!utoday!wagner

pavlov@canisius.UUCP (Greg Pavlov) (09/23/90)

In article <edG902Afc9kD01@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com>, machina@uts.amdahl.com (Miguel A. Ramirez) writes:
> I find it difficult to beleive that people on the net would find this
> rag useful. I read three times, and had enough. Not one useful bit of
> information. ...

  I strongly believe that the monthly system review article (under the title of
  "Tested Mettle") is the best ongoing product review effort that I have seen
  in any computer trade journal.

   greg pavlov, fstrf, amherst, ny

In article <7eTZ02PQcaTn01@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> machina@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Miguel A. Ramirez) writes:
> >	C Advisor

> If you learned something from these articles, good for you. I found nothing
> new in them.

If it wasn't for Eric Allman's "C Advisor" column I really doubt if anyone
on the net outside of Berkeley would ever have heard of it. I've found it
far superior to getopt, getargs, and the rest.

> Good for you. You'd find even more in SUN's magazines. Look into them, guru.

And as for the Sun Cheerleader, I just pass my copy on to the local Sun
users. There's damn little of interest if you're not using Sun's kitchen
sink BSD variant.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
+1 713 274 5180.   'U`

bgi@stbimbo.UUCP (Brad Isley) (09/24/90)

machina@uts.amdahl.com (Miguel A. Ramirez) writes:

>In article <140@stbimbo.UUCP> bgi@stbimbo.UUCP (Brad Isley) writes:
>>
>>Try again, dude, there's LOTS of useful information in there.
>>
>>    Take a look at:
>>	Tested Mettle
>>	Rules of the Game
>>	Daemons and Dragons
>>	C Advisor
>>	Off the Shelf

>If you learned something from these articles, good for you. I found nothing

Let's hear it for Miguel!  He already knows about all the performance specs
of all the new hardware.  He knows how they all stack up against each other!
He even knows about the bugs in all their OS's.  Wow!  He even knows about
all the new software copyright legal issues!  Wow!  I'm IMPRESSED!  He's
SOOOO good he is above stealing a little code from C advisor.  He can even
keep up with all the latest C compilers, etc. reviewed in Off the Shelf!
Let's give Mr. Ego here a hand!

>new in them. I do not consider myself a "guru". Makes me wonder about your
>definition of "guru". No, no let's not get into this one, it's pointless.

In this context: the local "expert" meaning I'm the one people come to with
questions.

>Good for you. You'd find even more in SUN's magazines. Look into them, guru.

No thanks, they don't hold my interest.