[comp.unix.misc] DOS Emulation for UNIX

briel@sctc.com (Marc Briel ) (10/17/90)

Does anyone know of a DOS (ala IBM PC) emulator that permits DOS applications to be run on UNIX systems (either BSD or Sys V)? I am specifically interested inapproaches for running Microsoft Word and Excel on UNIX. I am assuming that the users have no mouse interface available so the DOS versions or Word and Excel are probably more practical for this purpose than the Mac versions would be.

Any info and ideas are appreciated.

				Marc Briel
				briel@sctc.com

zebr360@ut-emx.uucp (Jerry Heyman) (10/17/90)

In article <1990Oct16.224457.12914@sctc.com> briel@sctc.com (Marc Briel ) writes:
>Does anyone know of a DOS (ala IBM PC) emulator that permits DOS applications
>to be run on UNIX systems (either BSD or Sys V)? I am specifically interested
>inapproaches for running Microsoft Word and Excel on UNIX. I am assuming that
>the users have no mouse interface available so the DOS versions or Word and
>Excel are probably more practical for this purpose than the Mac versions
>would be.

There are a variety of software emulators available for the PC-DOS function
that you're asking for.  For Intel 386 machines, there are several - but you
will have to get the emulator that is supported by your particular brand of
U*ix.

- Interactive (ISC) provides an emulator that runs under their VP/ix.
- Locus Computing sells one, and it is remarketed by IBM as DOS Merge for AIX
    on the PS/2.
- SoftPC is a product (forget which company) that provides true software
    emulation on hardware that is not Intel based (currently DEC, Mac, and
    others but you'd need to contact them for which machines)
- IBM sells a PC Simulator that runs on both its RT and RISC System/6000.

A recent issue of the Uniforum magazine does a study on four different emulators

As for mouse support, I know that the IBM PC Simulator does support a mouse
(having used both versions), but I cannot make a statement one way or another
on any of the other emulators.

>Any info and ideas are appreciated.

Your welcome. :-)

>				Marc Briel
>				briel@sctc.com

jerry
--
Jerry Heyman                  by day: IBM AWD, AIX Development
zebr360@emx.utexas.edu        by nite: Adjunct Lecturer at St. Edward's Univ.

*All comments are my own and should not be construed to represent any one else