[comp.unix.misc] Looking for a Book about awk & sed

markus@cernvax.UUCP (markus baertschi) (10/13/90)

  I'm looking for a good book as introduction into awk, sed and similar
  unix tools. The bookstores around have hundreds of books around unix
  but I found nothing which concentrates on these powerful utilities.

  I'll post a summary if there is interest.

  Thanks  Markus

--
  Markus Baertschi				| markus@cernvm.cern.ch
  CERN (European Particle Research Center)

haug@almira.uucp (Brian R Haug) (10/15/90)

You might want to try _The AWK Programming Language_ by Alfred V. Aho, Brian
W. Kernighan, and Peter J. Weinberger (the three people awk is named after).
It's published by Addison-Wesley, ISBN 0-201-07981-X

You might also try _The Unix Programming Environment_ by Brian W. Kernighan
and Rob Pike.  Published by Prentice Hall, ISBN 0-13-937681-X.  Has about
8 pages on sed, and 13 on awk.

A third book I would recommend (which one would not normally look for
information like this) is _Unix Text Processing_ by Dale Dougherty and Tim
O'Reilly.  Published by Hayden Books, ISBN 0-672-46291-5.  About 20 pages on
sed and 23 on awk.

			Share and Enjoy!

			      Brian

szmyd@hpfcbig.SDE.HP.COM (Bill Szmyd) (10/15/90)

>   I'm looking for a good book as introduction into awk, sed and similar
>   unix tools. The bookstores around have hundreds of books around unix
>   but I found nothing which concentrates on these powerful utilities.
>
>   I'll post a summary if there is interest.
>
>   Thanks  Markus
>
> --
>   Markus Baertschi				| markus@cernvm.cern.ch
>   CERN (European Particle Research Center)
>   Geneva, Switzerland
> ----------

Try the recent update on AWK from Aho, Kernighan and Weinberger, "The AWK
Programming Language".  Published by Addison-Wesley Publishing Company.  I
paid about $22 (US) for it.  Doesn't cover SED but is great for AWK.

Note that to run some of the constructions they use you need the new
version of AWK.  On some machines this is found as NAWK.

--
	Bill Szmyd
	Software Engineering Systems Division

dag@fciva.FRANKLIN.COM (Daniel A. Graifer) (10/15/90)

I believe Nutshell Books (aka O'Reilly & Assoc.) has a new book out on
awk, sed, and regular expressions.  Send them email at uunet!ora!nuts
or call 1-800-338-NUTS.

I have no relationship with these people except as a satisfied customer.

Dan
--
Daniel A Graifer						Coastal Capital Funding Corp.
Sr. Vice President, Financial Systems	7900 Westpark Dr. Suite A-130

james@dlss2.UUCP (James Cummings) (10/16/90)

	Also of interest might be the "AWK Programming Language" by the
original authors of the language (check spelling) Aho, Weinberger, and
Kernighan.  It is published by Prentice Hall, I believe (I don't have
my copy with me), and is much more easily understood than the "C Programming
Language".
	The Nutshell series is also and excellent reference as well as
the "Shell Programming" book by Kochran and Woods, which also has a fairly
good section on sed.

pjh@mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) (10/16/90)

In article <550@fciva.FRANKLIN.COM> dag@fciva.UUCP (Daniel A. Graifer) writes:
=I believe Nutshell Books (aka O'Reilly & Assoc.) has a new book out on
=awk, sed, and regular expressions.  Send them email at uunet!ora!nuts
=or call 1-800-338-NUTS.

It's due in November along with Larry Wall's book on Perl!

Pete
--
Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      Mercer County Community College
Voice: 609-586-4800          Engineering Technology, Computers and Math

norm@oglvee.UUCP (Norman Joseph) (10/18/90)

In <99@dlss2.UUCP> james@dlss2.UUCP (James Cummings) writes:

>	Also of interest might be the "AWK Programming Language" by the
>original authors of the language (check spelling) Aho, Weinberger, and
>Kernighan.  It is published by Prentice Hall, I believe

Title:     The AWK Programming Language
Authors:   Alfred V. Aho
           Brian W. Kernighan
           Peter J. Weinberger
Published: 1988, Addison-Wesley Publishing Co.
ISBN:      0-201-07981-X
--
Norm Joseph - (amanue!oglvee!norm)           cgh!amanue!oglvee!norm@dsi.com, or
  Oglevee Computer Systems, Inc.             ditka!oglvee!norm@daver.bungi.com

rwelch@diana.cair.du.edu (RANDY S WELCH) (10/22/90)

In article <13820001@hpfcbig.SDE.HP.COM> szmyd@hpfcbig.SDE.HP.COM (Bill Szmyd) writes:

   Try the recent update on AWK from Aho, Kernighan and Weinberger, "The AWK
   Programming Language".  Published by Addison-Wesley Publishing Company.  I
   paid about $22 (US) for it.  Doesn't cover SED but is great for AWK.

   Note that to run some of the constructions they use you need the new
   version of AWK.  On some machines this is found as NAWK.

   --
	   Bill Szmyd
	   Software Engineering Systems Division
	   Hewlett-Packard
	   Ft. Collins, CO

One might also try the following:

The GAWK manual that comes with GNU awk, a nice manual.
Some older SYS V Programming Manuals have a chapter on awk programming (
my copy of the book coves the old awk, I've seen newer copies that cover
nawk )

-randy
--
Randy Welch   Mail to :  ...!ncar!scicom!bldr!randy or rwelch@du.edu
Boulder, CO   VOICE   :  303-442-6717

tim@isla.ora.com (Tim O'Reilly) (10/23/90)

Brian Haug (haug@Columbia.NCR.COM) wrote:

> A third book I would recommend (which one would not normally look for
> information like this) is _Unix Text Processing_ by Dale Dougherty and Tim
> O'Reilly.  Published by Hayden Books, ISBN 0-672-46291-5.  About 20 pages
> on sed and 23 on awk.

Thanks for the plug.  You might be interested to know that Dale
has just finished an entire book on sed and awk, for our Nutshell
series.  It has just gone to the printer, and will be available
at the UNIX Expo in New York on October 31 (complete with t-shirt :-)
and can also be ordered by calling 1-800-338-NUTS.

We're glad you liked UNIX Text Processing.

Tim O'Reilly @ O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.  Publishers of Nutshell Handbooks
632 Petaluma Avenue, Sebastopol, CA 95472
707-829-8512, 800-338-6887 (in CA 800-533-6887), FAX 707-829-0104
Internet:  tim@ora.com     UUCP:  uunet!ora!tim

pjh@mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) (10/23/90)

In article <1990Oct22.053855.20203@mercury.cair.du.edu> rwelch@diana.cair.du.edu (RANDY S WELCH) writes:
=In article <13820001@hpfcbig.SDE.HP.COM> szmyd@hpfcbig.SDE.HP.COM (Bill Szmyd) writes:
=
=
=   Try the recent update on AWK from Aho, Kernighan and Weinberger, "The AWK
=   Programming Language".  Published by Addison-Wesley Publishing Company.  I
=   paid about $22 (US) for it.  Doesn't cover SED but is great for AWK.

O'Reilly et al, the Nutshell people, will have their "SED & AWK" book
out in November.  1-800-dev-nuts.

Pete