[comp.unix.misc] System V R 3.1,3.2,3.3, 4 ? What's the diff ?

sjg@sun0.melb.bull.oz.au (Simon J. Gerraty) (10/23/90)

Ok, I have asked all the System V guru's I know.  (Even tried
AT&T :-) and  have got nowhere.  So perhaps the net can help.

Can anybody provide a list (succinct if possible) of the major
changes introduced with System V 3.1,3.2 etc.  A reference to a
suitable source would also be useful.

Frequently we (a computer vendor) respond to tenders that call
for say System V 3.3.  In one case the tender asked for 3.3 only
weeks after AT&T announced it.

In many cases the customer simply wants the latest and greatest
of whatever... In other cases they do have a need for specific
features that may have been introduced with a particular
release.  (Ok, most clever software writers try and avoid such
release dependance but...).

My company sells a Unix derrived from Sys V 3.1, with
enhancements such as FFS from BSD etc etc.  It may well be the
case that our Unix does indeed provide the feature that the
customer want's - but without a list of the differences between
releases we don't know.

Thank you (in advance :-)

--
Simon J. Gerraty			<sjg@sun0.melb.bull.oz.au>

#include <disclaimer>             /* imagine something *very* witty here */

wsinpdb@wsinis04.info.win.tue.nl (Paul de Bra) (10/23/90)

In article <1990Oct23.015640.23819@melb.bull.oz.au> sjg@sun0.melb.bull.oz.au (Simon J. Gerraty) writes:
>Ok, I have asked all the System V guru's I know.  (Even tried
>AT&T :-) and  have got nowhere.  So perhaps the net can help.
>
>Can anybody provide a list (succinct if possible) of the major
>changes introduced with System V 3.1,3.2 etc.  A reference to a
>suitable source would also be useful.

I don't know the whole scoop, but starting from 3.1 i can tell you that:
3.2 introduced xenix compatibility (the ability to execute 286 and 386
xenix binaries on a 386 and to mount xenix file systems).
As far as I know there is no 3.3.
For the 386 there is a 3.2.1 (also known as 3.2u) which introduced VGA
support, while 3.2.2 introduced SCSI support.
The next version is 4.0, which supposedly introduces bsd compatibility.
As many tools and routines in system Vr3.2 and in BSD unix (4.2 or 4.3)
exist with the same name but a different functionality,
The system will not be able to look exactly like a bsd system and as a
system v system at the same time.

Paul.
(debra@research.att.com)

jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) (10/25/90)

When I asked "what's new with SVR4", the answer I got was:
	1) Compare AT&T SVR3 to Berkeley 4.4BSD.
	2) Compare 4.4BSD to SunOS-4.1 from Sun.
	3) Compare SVR3 to Xenix for the Intel 80386.
	4) Add up all the new features and you have System V Release 4.
--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: jms@tardis.tymnet.com or jms@gemini.tymnet.com
BT Tymnet Tech Services | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms

pjh@mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) (10/25/90)

In article <1990Oct23.015640.23819@melb.bull.oz.au> sjg@sun0.melb.bull.oz.au (Simon J. Gerraty) writes:
=Can anybody provide a list (succinct if possible) of the major
=changes introduced with System V 3.1,3.2 etc.  A reference to a
=suitable source would also be useful.

AT&T publishes a SVR4.0 compatibility guide that has tables upon tables
of just what you want.

Pete
--
Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      Mercer County Community College
Voice: 609-586-4800          Engineering Technology, Computers and Math

mef@parsons.rutgers.edu (Marc E. Fiuczynski) (10/25/90)

Where can we get a hold of this compatibility guide for SVR3.1 and SVR3.2?
--
Marc Fiuczynski
mef@remus.rutgers.edu

jtc@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca (J.T. Conklin) (10/26/90)

In article <1990Oct23.015640.23819@melb.bull.oz.au> sjg@sun0.melb.bull.oz.au (Simon J. Gerraty) writes:
>Ok, I have asked all the System V guru's I know.  (Even tried
>AT&T :-) and  have got nowhere.  So perhaps the net can help.
>
>Can anybody provide a list (succinct if possible) of the major
>changes introduced with System V 3.1,3.2 etc.  A reference to a
>suitable source would also be useful.

I got this from the UNIX System V Release 4 Migration Guide:

Release 2.0 Features
	Self-Configuration
	Dynamic Disk Partitioning
	File System Hardening
	Advisory File and Record Locking
	Shell Enhancements (Job Control)
	System Administration Menus (sysadm)

Release 2.1 Features
	Demand Paging
	Manditory File and Record Locking

Release 3.0 Features
	Remote File Sharing
	STREAMS
	Transport Level Interface
	Listener
	Shared Libraries
	getopts
	Signal Mechanism Enhancements
	Improved Facilities for Supporting Terminals

Release 3.1 Features
	Support for Eight-Bit Code Sets
	Support for Alternate Date and Time Formats
	Support for Alternate Character Classification and
		Conversion Rules
	New awk (nawk)
	Improved Recovery of Files from cpio Archives
	Incremental Backup of Nested Files
	Swapping the User Area
	Smaller and Faster Curses

Release 3.2 Features
	Enhanced System Security
	2K File System Utilities
	Framed Access Command Environment
	Form and Menu Language Interpreter
	Enhanced curses

    --jtc

--
J.T. Conklin	UniFax Communications Inc.
		...!{uunet,ubc-cs}!van-bc!jtc, jtc@wimsey.bc.ca

avg@hq.demos.su (Vadim G. Antonov) (10/27/90)

In article <1303@tardis.Tymnet.COM> jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) writes:
>When I asked "what's new with SVR4", the answer I got was:
>       1-3) Compare AT&T SVR3, Berkeley 4.4BSD, SunOS-4.1, Xenix/386
>	4) Add up all the new features and you have System V Release 4.

... and all misfeatures I think. Do you really think someone
can read 40 volumes of documentation in order to enjoy all
new features of V.4? Extra feature is NOT a good, I still think
the best Unix is v6. Why have they forgotten "KISS"?

Vadim Antonov
DEMOS, Moscow, USSR

berggren@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Eric D. berggren) (10/30/90)

In article <1990Oct23.015640.23819@melb.bull.oz.au> sjg@sun0.melb.bull.oz.au (Simon J. Gerraty) writes:

>Ok, I have asked all the System V guru's I know.  (Even tried
>AT&T :-) and  have got nowhere.  So perhaps the net can help.
>
>Can anybody provide a list (succinct if possible) of the major
>changes introduced with System V 3.1,3.2 etc.  A reference to a
>suitable source would also be useful.

  UNIX/V R4 is supposed to include X windows, I hear.

ignatz@chinet.chi.il.us (Dave Ihnat) (10/30/90)

Please don't forget that there is now a release 3.2.3 shoehorned in between
3.2.2 and 4.0.  It provides some bug fixes, new device drivers, etc.

sean@icl011.UUCP (SEan Strand) (10/30/90)

In article <1990Oct23.015640.23819@melb.bull.oz.au>, sjg@sun0.melb.bull.oz.au (Simon J. Gerraty) writes:

> Can anybody provide a list (succinct if possible) of the major
> changes introduced with System V 3.1,3.2 etc.  A reference to a
> suitable source would also be useful.

YES: Just ask your I.C.L. agent or phone CCI in the States
     if you can give me a day or two I'll read_on_disk the I.C.L.
     manual and fwd it to you. It coveres all the 5.1.? upto 5.3.3.
     command_by_command.

> #include <disclaimer>             /* imagine something *very* witty here */
				/* & I'm only a 4/eyed paddy */

Regards, SEan S.