[comp.unix.misc] crc as child of cu

gars@lrark.UUCP (Gary Smith) (10/25/90)

I am pretty sure this question has already been answered, but I can't
find the reference or reply in any notes or files so...
  I'll ask again:

 I have 'crc' on my system (Microport SysV/AT {before reorganization}).
 'crc' is the xmodem send/recieve program with no attendant support like
 you find in Pcomm or Xcomm.

 The question is: How do I make 'crc' a child process of 'cu' ? I have
 tried and exhausted all the obvious thingees like using pipes, tees and
 redirect all to no avail. What I want to do is call a site, using cu
 and escape to crc (I've tried ~< and ~!) and capture a fuller comm program
 like Pcomm. As soon as I invoke the tilda escape, cu releases control to
 crc, which means there is no longer a connection to the remote site for
 crc to capture the requested file from. I can re-enter cu after writing
 an empty file. The problem is I want cu to stay active as a parent process
 and the crc capture to work as the child. It can't be as hard as I'm making
 it :-)

 Any help appreciated. Thanks, Gary

   __         _ (Gary Smith)texbell!attctc!blackbox!bl133!lrark!glsrk!gars *
  / _' _   _ (_' P. O. Drawer 7680    *  GEnie Forth RT  &  Unix RT SysOp  *
 /__/ (_|_/ '._) Little Rock,AR 72217 * winken!well!gars * claris!wet!gars *
 gars@glsrk.uucp        - U. S. A. -  * ames!chinet!gars * ph:501-227-7817 *
--

In article <554@lrark.UUCP> gars@lrark.UUCP (Gary Smith) writes:

> I have 'crc' on my system (Microport SysV/AT {before reorganization}).
> 'crc' is the xmodem send/recieve program with no attendant support like
> you find in Pcomm or Xcomm.
>
> The question is: How do I make 'crc' a child process of 'cu' ?

You probably can't make it work.  Cu forks and runs as 2 processes, one
reading the remote tty line and writing to the invoking terminal and
the other reading the terminal and writing to the remote.  During the
 ~$command escapes, the process reading the remote tty line stays active
which will screw up any file transfers that another program might
attempt over the same line.  I've been told that there is a compile option
in the cu source that can enable a variation of the shell command that
will kill the reading process, but I doubt if that helps you any more
than it did me.

On approach that will work is to use kermit to dial out, then use
a shell escape with explicit redirection of both stdin and stdout
to the remote tty line.

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us

ruiu@dragos.uucp (dragos) (10/31/90)

In article <554@lrark.UUCP> gars@lrark.UUCP (Gary Smith) writes about:

Problem: getting an xmodem-type program to run from cu.
System: SystemV/AT

The answer is you don't. The uPort cu is a generic SysVr2 cu and only lets
you spawn a process with the output redirected to the remote end instead
of both the output and the input.

On other, more modern systems tip/cu have ~ options to let you do this,
but you can't do it with what you have.

Solutions:

 If you are only calling other unix systems, live with ~t(ake) and ~p(ut),
 which is kind of gross.

 Use another program instead of cu to call out. My personal preference is
 a program I got of the uPort BBS called "xcomm". Doubtless there are others
 around. Check your friendly neighborhood archive.
--
Dragos Ruiu (ruiu@dragos.uucp)  alberta!dragos!ruiu    Copyright(c) 1990
HP, Idacom division.