[comp.unix.misc] Unix zoo question

lwv27@CAS.BITNET (11/13/90)

I am trying to figure out what command parameters I would use if I
want to tell zoo to add files if they do not exist, update files if
the source is 'newer' (does that mean modification date?) AND delete
the files that it adds to the archive.

I tried zoo -uM file.zoo file1 file2 file3

but was told that was not a proper syntax.
--
Larry W. Virden
Business: UUCP: osu-cis!chemabs!lwv27  INET: lwv27%cas.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.Edu

rmfowler@texrex.uucp (Rex Fowler) (11/15/90)

In article <9011131139.AA09203@lilac.berkeley.edu> lwv27@CAS.BITNET writes:
>I am trying to figure out what command parameters I would use if I
>want to tell zoo to add files if they do not exist, update files if
>the source is 'newer' (does that mean modification date?) AND delete
>the files that it adds to the archive.
>
>I tried zoo -uM file.zoo file1 file2 file3

looks like you're trying to mix novice with expert commands.

Heres what I would do

% zoo aunPM file.zoo files

the "aun" tells zoo to add everything newer or non-existing to the archive.
"P" says to pack the archive (reclaim space used by old deleted versions)
"M" tells zoo to delete the files after they have been added.

if you want to add files from a directory heirarchy, you will need to
add the "I" option to read from stdin.

% find /users/me -print | zoo aunIMP file.zoo

My zoo question...

1) You have an archive (file.zoo) with files A,B, and C archived within it.
2) A,B, and C also exist in the current directory.
3) file A is newer than the one archived in file.zoo, B and C are older
   or identical to the ones archived in file.zoo.
4) If you say "zoo aunM file.zoo A B C", only A is added to the archive BUT
   all 3 files are removed.  This behavior seems fine IF ./B is the same as
   the B in file.zoo, but NOT if ./B is OLDER than the B archived in file.zoo.
   Does file ./B have to pay the price of being removed just because someone
   ELSE with the same name lives in file.zoo?

dhesi, are you listening? is this a bug or feature?

--
Rex Fowler <rmfowler%texrex@cirr.com>
UUCP:  egsner!texrex!rmfowler