[comp.unix.misc] Reliability of Unix utilities: interesting article in CACM

sahayman@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Steve Hayman) (12/04/90)

The December issue of Communications of the ACM contains an
interesting article, "An Empirical Study of the Reliability
of Unix Utilities".  The authors describe tools they wrote which
would fire up various Unix utilities and send streams of random
8-bit junk at them.   About 25% of the utilities studied
either core dumped or hung.

I found it to be very interesting reading and wanted to draw
this article to the attention of any of you who might not
read CACM.  All Unix programmers could benefit by reading
this article.

Steve Hayman
--
Steve Hayman    Workstation Manager    Computer Science Department   Indiana U.
sahayman@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu                                    (812) 855-6984

In article <75972@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> sahayman@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
(Steve Hayman) writes:
>... The authors describe tools they wrote which would fire up various
>Unix utilities and send streams of random 8-bit junk at them.   About
>25% of the utilities studied either core dumped or hung.

This is not entirely fair.  Many Unix tools are programmable, and can
be programmed to do stupid things (run forever or dump core).

Of course, many are simply not able to handle `negative' characters.

cy5@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Conway Yee) (12/05/90)

In article <28282@mimsy.umd.edu> chris@mimsy.umd.edu (Chris Torek) writes:
>In article <75972@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> sahayman@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
>(Steve Hayman) writes:
>>... The authors describe tools they wrote which would fire up various
>>Unix utilities and send streams of random 8-bit junk at them.   About
>>25% of the utilities studied either core dumped or hung.
>
>This is not entirely fair.  Many Unix tools are programmable, and can
>be programmed to do stupid things (run forever or dump core).
>
>Of course, many are simply not able to handle `negative' characters.

But isn't that the purpose of sanity checks?  Shouldn't a good utility
be able to know how to handle error conditions without freaking out?

					Conway Yee, N2JWQ
yee@ming.mipg.upenn.edu    (preferred)             231 S. Melville St.
cy5@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (forwarded to above)    Philadelphia, Pa 19139
yee@bnlx26.nsls.bnl.gov    (rarely checked)        (215) 386-1312

heimir@rhi.hi.is (Heimir Thor Sverrisson) (12/05/90)

In <75972@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> sahayman@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Steve Hayman) writes:

>The December issue of Communications of the ACM contains an
>interesting article, "An Empirical Study of the Reliability
>of Unix Utilities".  The authors describe tools they wrote which
>would fire up various Unix utilities and send streams of random
>8-bit junk at them.   About 25% of the utilities studied

This is confirmed by the failure of so many utilities to cope whith my
8-bit character data (Icelandic coded in ISO-8859/1, which is classified
as a sort of 'random 8-bit junk' in some languages :-(
--
Heimir Thor Sverrisson		heimir@rhi.hi.is

src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de (Heiko Blume) (12/08/90)

heimir@rhi.hi.is (Heimir Thor Sverrisson) writes:

>This is confirmed by the failure of so many utilities to cope whith my
>8-bit character data (Icelandic coded in ISO-8859/1, which is classified
>as a sort of 'random 8-bit junk' in some languages :-(

i heard Sys V R4 tries to fix those. what unix did they test, actually?!
--
      Heiko Blume <-+-> src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de <-+-> (+49 30) 691 88 93
                    public source archive [HST V.42bis]: