[comp.unix.misc] Weep for poor poor bill

chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) (12/18/90)

[ Followups to comp.unix.misc ]

According to gs26@prism.gatech.EDU (Glenn R. Stone):
>Nah.  it's just that most gurus are inherently non-conformist, either
>deliberately or by apathy.... they're thinking about something too
>important to bother with trivial things like spelling ...

Odd how Chris Torek, Henry Spencer, Doug Gwyn, Guy Harris, and a host
of other "gurus" all manage to think and spell at the same time.
--
Chip Salzenberg at Teltronics/TCT     <chip@tct.uucp>, <uunet!pdn!tct!chip>
"Please don't send me any more of yer scandalous email, Mr. Salzenberg..."

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR) (12/20/90)

As quoted from <276E16A3.995@tct.uucp> by chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg):
+---------------
| According to gs26@prism.gatech.EDU (Glenn R. Stone):
| >Nah.  it's just that most gurus are inherently non-conformist, either
| >deliberately or by apathy.... they're thinking about something too
| >important to bother with trivial things like spelling ...
|
| Odd how Chris Torek, Henry Spencer, Doug Gwyn, Guy Harris, and a host
| of other "gurus" all manage to think and spell at the same time.
+---------------

The "guru" who considers spelling too trivial to bother with may cut other
supposedly "trivial" corners.  Would you entrust your system to such a person?

++Brandon
--
Me: Brandon S. Allbery			    VHF/UHF: KB8JRR on 220, 2m, 440
Internet: allbery@NCoast.ORG		    Packet: KB8JRR @ WA8BXN

palowoda@fiver (Bob Palowoda) (12/20/90)

From article <1990Dec20.005855.4429@NCoast.ORG>, by allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR):
> As quoted from <276E16A3.995@tct.uucp> by chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg):
> +---------------
> | According to gs26@prism.gatech.EDU (Glenn R. Stone):
> | >Nah.  it's just that most gurus are inherently non-conformist, either
> | >deliberately or by apathy.... they're thinking about something too
> | >important to bother with trivial things like spelling ...
> |
> | Odd how Chris Torek, Henry Spencer, Doug Gwyn, Guy Harris, and a host
> | of other "gurus" all manage to think and spell at the same time.
> +---------------
>
> The "guru" who considers spelling too trivial to bother with may cut other
> supposedly "trivial" corners.  Would you entrust your system to such a person?

  I must be really dense today. What's your point Brandon?

---Bob

--
Bob Palowoda   palowoda@fiver              |   *Home of Fiver BBS*
Home {sun}!ys2!fiver!palowoda              | 415-623-8809 1200/2400

richard@dataspan.dataspan.UUCP (Richard "Tiger" Melville) (12/21/90)

In article <276E16A3.995@tct.uucp> chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) writes:

>According to gs26@prism.gatech.EDU (Glenn R. Stone):
>>Nah.  it's just that most gurus are inherently non-conformist, either
>>deliberately or by apathy.... they're thinking about something too
>>important to bother with trivial things like spelling ...
>Odd how Chris Torek, Henry Spencer, Doug Gwyn, Guy Harris, and a host
>of other "gurus" all manage to think and spell at the same time.

My personal favorite is the guru who doesn't capitalize.  I guess it
takes too much valuable time to hit that shift key...

--
             _Q     Q_       Richard Melville DataSpan Technology Inc.
      __    /_\)   /|        237-9313         400-540 5th ave SW

karl_kleinpaste@cis.ohio-state.edu (12/21/90)

richard@dataspan.dataspan.uucp writes:
   My personal favorite is the guru who doesn't capitalize.  I guess it
   takes too much valuable time to hit that shift key...

(As though this really mattered, or was even remotely germane to
"comp.unix.misc"...)

Um, sometimes, yeah, that's a problem.  I type bloody fast anyway
(~105wpm), but if I'm in a seriously desperate hurry to do something
because there's just plain too much to do, I sometimes abandon
uppercase for the duration, which gives me another 10wpm or so.

ckd@cs.bu.edu (Christopher Davis) (12/21/90)

Bob> palowoda@fiver (Bob Palowoda) writes:
Brandon> allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR):

Brandon> The "guru" who considers spelling too trivial to bother with
Brandon> may cut other supposedly "trivial" corners.  Would you entrust
Brandon> your system to such a person?

Bob>   I must be really dense today. What's your point Brandon?

"Gee, I don't want to bother spelling everything correctly; everyone
understands what I'm trying to say."

"Gee, I don't want to bother fixing that DEBUG thing in sendmail;
nobody's gonna take advantage of it, anyway."

I want a sysadmin with DETAIL on his or her mind.

Bob> Bob Palowoda   palowoda@fiver              |   *Home of Fiver BBS*
                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Gee, Bob, this didn't work for me.  Care to qualify it somehow (even a
pseudo-domain would be nice)?

Bob> Home {sun}!ys2!fiver!palowoda              | 415-623-8809 1200/2400
Bob>      {pacbell}!indetech!fiver!palowoda     |     An XBBS System

Speaking of details, the extra 16 spaces after "An XBBS System" produced
a visible "wrap" effect once I quoted them (before I deleted them).
Another trivial detail, yes, this one was actually trivial; but what
about the next one?

--Chris
--
   [ Christopher Davis - <ckd@cs.bu.edu> - <..!bu.edu!cs.bu.edu!ckd> ]
    A message destined for delivery in *your* domain is fair game for

palowoda@fiver (Bob Palowoda) (12/21/90)

From article <CKD.90Dec20223403@bucsd.bu.edu>, by ckd@cs.bu.edu (Christopher Davis):
> Bob> palowoda@fiver (Bob Palowoda) writes:
> Brandon> allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR):
>
> Brandon> The "guru" who considers spelling too trivial to bother with
> Brandon> may cut other supposedly "trivial" corners.  Would you entrust
> Brandon> your system to such a person?
>
> Bob>   I must be really dense today. What's your point Brandon?
>
> "Gee, I don't want to bother spelling everything correctly; everyone
> understands what I'm trying to say."

  Ok, I was dense.

> "Gee, I don't want to bother fixing that DEBUG thing in sendmail;
> nobody's gonna take advantage of it, anyway."

  You do mean "smail" don't you?

> I want a sysadmin with DETAIL on his or her mind.

  How much are you paying?

> Bob> Bob Palowoda   palowoda@fiver              |   *Home of Fiver BBS*
>                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Gee, Bob, this didn't work for me.  Care to qualify it somehow (even a
> pseudo-domain would be nice)?

   I live in one of those pseudo domains. I fixed it thank you. It's "uucp"
or is it "UUCP"?

> Speaking of details, the extra 16 spaces after "An XBBS System" produced
> a visible "wrap" effect once I quoted them (before I deleted them).
> Another trivial detail, yes, this one was actually trivial; but what
> about the next one?     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

  Yes it is trivial. Look at it from the other side. You where redundant
in your sentence. You could have save 35 bytes and retained the same
information content. You where inefficient. Details are funny things.
But your point is well taken. I am really have a problem with my spelling
and I struggle with it everyday. One of my problems is when write code and
quickly change to writeing english text I tend to type too fast makeing
alot of typos. Also I find it difficult when switching over from
the thought of the way variables are spelled in my programs to english.

  I noticed something interesting about two weeks ago. I wanted to
improve my technicial online dictionary. So I thought useing articles
written and posted in comp.arch, comp.research, etc would be a good
source. I must have went through approximately 50 articles all, which should
not have had simple spelling errors in them?

---Bob

P.S. If I could afford to have some of those guru's working for me. Yes
     I would hire them.

--
Bob Palowoda   palowoda@fiver.uucp         |   *Home of Fiver BBS*

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR) (12/24/90)

As quoted from <1990Dec20.122427.26421@fiver> by palowoda@fiver (Bob Palowoda):
+---------------
| From article <1990Dec20.005855.4429@NCoast.ORG>, by allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR):
| > As quoted from <276E16A3.995@tct.uucp> by chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg):
| > +---------------
| > | According to gs26@prism.gatech.EDU (Glenn R. Stone):
| > |
| > | Odd how Chris Torek, Henry Spencer, Doug Gwyn, Guy Harris, and a host
| > | of other "gurus" all manage to think and spell at the same time.
| > +---------------
| >
| > The "guru" who considers spelling too trivial to bother with may cut other
| > supposedly "trivial" corners.  Would you entrust your system to such a person?
|
|   I must be really dense today. What's your point Brandon?
+---------------

I was in effect echoinh Chip's disagreement with Glen and giving a reason.
Ok?

++Brandon
--
Me: Brandon S. Allbery			    VHF/UHF: KB8JRR on 220, 2m, 440
Internet: allbery@NCoast.ORG		    Packet: KB8JRR @ WA8BXN
America OnLine: KB8JRR			    AMPR: KB8JRR.AmPR.ORG [44.70.4.88]
uunet!usenet.ins.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery    Delphi: ALLBERY

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR) (12/24/90)

(*This* time I'm trimming the bloody thing....)

As quoted from <1990Dec21.095529.5578@fiver> by palowoda@fiver (Bob Palowoda):
+---------------
| From article <CKD.90Dec20223403@bucsd.bu.edu>, by ckd@cs.bu.edu (Christopher Davis):
| > "Gee, I don't want to bother fixing that DEBUG thing in sendmail;
| > nobody's gonna take advantage of it, anyway."
|
|   You do mean "smail" don't you?
+---------------

He means sendmail.  Remember the Worm?  *That* was why it was able to exploit
DEBUG on so many systems.

+---------------
|   I noticed something interesting about two weeks ago. I wanted to
| improve my technicial online dictionary. So I thought useing articles
| written and posted in comp.arch, comp.research, etc would be a good
| source. I must have went through approximately 50 articles all, which should
| not have had simple spelling errors in them?

They shouldn't have, but undoubtedly they did.  And undoubtedly at least 50
percent of the articles were also incorrect from a technical standpoint....

I trust the Usenet for accurate information about as much as I would trust a
guy in a trench coat selling Rolex watches... Some exceptions, but that short
list of gurus from Chip's and my postings had to *earn* my trust.

++Brandon