[comp.unix.misc] gprof under UNIX V R.3 or R.4?

brinkema@fjc.GOV (John R. Brinkema) (01/11/91)

Is there a port of gprof (the BSD profiler) that runs under Unix V relese
3 or 4?  Of course the compiler must support it too.

If not, is there some Unix V tool that gives the same kind of information
that gprof gives.

We are maintaining a BSD system *just for gprof* ... and it is getting
expensive and difficult to justify; but it is such a useful tool! tnx.
jb.

>Is there a port of gprof (the BSD profiler) that runs under Unix V relese
>3 or 4?  Of course the compiler must support it too.

The only compiler support needed is to have some flag to the compiler
driver ("cc") cause it to link with the graph-profiled version of the C
startup code rather than the ordinary-profiled version; the actual code
generated (at least on any system I've used) is the same for "cc -p" and
"cc -pg".

prc@erbe.se (Robert Claeson) (01/15/91)

In article <363@fjcp60.GOV>, brinkema@fjc.GOV (John R. Brinkema) writes:

|> Is there a port of gprof (the BSD profiler) that runs under Unix V relese
|> 3 or 4?  Of course the compiler must support it too.

|> If not, is there some Unix V tool that gives the same kind of information
|> that gprof gives.

|> We are maintaining a BSD system *just for gprof* ... and it is getting
|> expensive and difficult to justify; but it is such a useful tool! tnx.

Encore Computer Corp.'s UMAX V operating system comes with gprof (and RCS
and other useful utilities). UMAX V is a parallellized version of AT&T's
UNIX System V Release 3.2 and runs on Encore's Multimax and 90 series. It
may not help you directly, but at least now you know that it has been done
before.

--
Robert Claeson                  |Reasonable mailers: rclaeson@erbe.se
ERBE DATA AB                    |      Dumb mailers: rclaeson%erbe.se@sunet.se