[comp.unix.misc] Computers for users not programmers

andy@research.canon.oz.au (Andy Newman) (01/25/91)

In article <13985@ganymede.inmos.co.uk> conor@inmos.co.uk (Conor O'Neill) writes:
>A 'user' just wants to run applications.

Aren't you a computer user?

Give (non-programmer) ``users'' some credit ... a user who understands that
they can construct their own applications by plugging together some tools
in the correct order would want some easy mechanism to construct pipelines
(and pipelines aren't the only model).

--
Andrew Newman, Software Engineer.            | Net:   andy@research.canon.oz.au
Canon Information Systems Research Australia | Phone: +61 2 805 2914

hrubin@pop.stat.purdue.edu (Herman Rubin) (01/25/91)

In article <1991Jan24.222501.7054@research.canon.oz.au>, andy@research.canon.oz.au (Andy Newman) writes:
> In article <13985@ganymede.inmos.co.uk> conor@inmos.co.uk (Conor O'Neill) writes:
> >A 'user' just wants to run applications.
>
> Aren't you a computer user?
>
> Give (non-programmer) ``users'' some credit ... a user who understands that
> they can construct their own applications by plugging together some tools
> in the correct order would want some easy mechanism to construct pipelines
> (and pipelines aren't the only model).

There are, unfortunately, some who want the software to do all their thinking
for them.  It is only those who can be called non-programmers.  Anyone who has
to put things together is already doing programming.

As andy points out, even a pipeline is a program.  One of the problems I have
with using "packages" is that they do not allow the combining of tools.
Phone: (317)494-6054
hrubin@l.cc.purdue.edu (Internet, bitnet)   {purdue,pur-ee}!l.cc!hrubin(UUCP)