[comp.unix.misc] Uncompressing large files

elston@edwards-saftd-2.af.mil (03/14/91)

I recently received GNU's C compiler in compressed format which weighed in at
a healthy 2,518,528 bytes. I tried to uncompress it (using GNU's compress
utility) and got the error message "File too large".  I have tried looking
at compress to find out if there is something I can do to modify it to work
on large files but I haven't got the background in the algorithm to know what
may safely be changed.

If there are any suggestions, please mail them to me.  I'll summarize if I
get any feedback requesting me to do so.
# A mind is a terrible thing to waste -      elston@edwards-saftd-2.af.mil   #
#     Thank goodness mine's all used up.                                     #
#                                                                            #
# If the author has expressed any opinions here they are purely              #
#  accidental and should be ignored.                                         #

bhoughto@hopi.intel.com (Blair P. Houghton) (03/14/91)

In article <1991Mar13.083650.30@edwards-saftd-2.af.mil> elston@edwards-saftd-2.af.mil writes:
>I recently received GNU's C compiler in compressed format which weighed in at
>a healthy 2,518,528 bytes. I tried to uncompress it (using GNU's compress
>utility) and got the error message "File too large".  I have tried looking

zcat < foo.Z > foo

I don't have gnu's compress or a 2.5mb file around to check,
but I bet it does the job.

				--Blair
				  "I'm the biggest frag on my block."

scum@virtech.uucp (Steven C. Monroe) (03/15/91)

bhoughto@hopi.intel.com (Blair P. Houghton) writes:

>In article <1991Mar13.083650.30@edwards-saftd-2.af.mil> elston@edwards-saftd-2.af.mil writes:
>>I recently received GNU's C compiler in compressed format which weighed in at
>>a healthy 2,518,528 bytes. I tried to uncompress it (using GNU's compress
>>utility) and got the error message "File too large".  I have tried looking

>zcat < foo.Z > foo

I think that more along the lines the following are what you want to do:

zcat <gnu.c.tar.Z | tar xvf -

of course if the file was cpio or something else you would replace the
tar command with the inverse of how the file was made.  For example the
cpio version might be:

zcat <gnu.c.cpio.Z | cpio -icvBdum

or some such.

zcat means (almost) never having to say (you're) uncompress(ing)....

--
Steven C. Monroe           (703)430-9247        Virtual Technologies, Inc.,
uunet!virtech!scum                              46030 Manekin Plaza, Suite 160

shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) (03/16/91)

elston@edwards-saftd-2.af.mil writes:

>I recently received GNU's C compiler in compressed format which weighed in at
>a healthy 2,518,528 bytes. I tried to uncompress it (using GNU's compress
>utility) and got the error message "File too large".  I have tried looking
>at compress to find out if there is something I can do to modify it to work
>on large files but I haven't got the background in the algorithm to know what
>may safely be changed.

	Well, perhaps you should use the "standard" *compress utilities,
the source for which is widely available. I was recently tasked to bundle
and move some 11 MB of files down a packet switch link. The cpio archive
compressed down to 2.7 MB, and uncompressed without a hitch. Assuming the
bundle is in tar or cpio format, consider using zcat, piping the output
into the appropriate routine.

-----------
uunet!media!ka3ovk!raysnec!shwake				shwake@rsxtech

sking@nowhere.uucp (Steven King) (03/18/91)

In article <1991Mar15.141304.3696@virtech.uucp> scum@virtech.uucp (Steven C. Monroe) writes:
>bhoughto@hopi.intel.com (Blair P. Houghton) writes:
>
>>In article <1991Mar13.083650.30@edwards-saftd-2.af.mil> elston@edwards-saftd-2.af.mil writes:
>>>I recently received GNU's C compiler in compressed format which weighed in at
>>>a healthy 2,518,528 bytes. I tried to uncompress it (using GNU's compress
>>>utility) and got the error message "File too large".  I have tried looking

    Hmmm, isn't "File too large" the message one receives when one attempts
 to create a file larger than ones ulimit...

--
Look Ma! No .sig!
                                        ..!cs.utexas.edu!ut-emx!nowhere!sking