[comp.unix.misc] X windows question

rodrigol@ulrik.uio.no (Rodrigo Lopez) (04/16/91)

Perhaps this is the wrong newsgroup to ask this question. My problem
is as follows:

We are running a program package on a microvax that has drivers for X windows,
actually decwindows. We get this to work on VAXstations but not on DEC
stations.
Is it actually possible to run such an application over decnet from
VAX/VMS to
ULTRIX ????

****
* RODRIGO LOPEZ SERRANO              Biotechnology Centre of Oslo
*
* Tel: xx-02-958766                  Gaustadalleen 21
*
* Fax: xx-02-694130                  P.B. 1125 Blindern
*
*                                    0316 Oslo 3 Norway
*
* rodrigol@biomed.uio.no
*
* rodrigol@ulrik.uio.no
*
****

pha21@seq1.keele.ac.uk (Braham Levy) (04/17/91)

In article <1991Apr16.162256.12561@ulrik.uio.no>, rodrigol@ulrik.uio.no (Rodrigo Lopez) writes:
> Perhaps this is the wrong newsgroup to ask this question. My problem
> is as follows:
>
> We are running a program package on a microvax that has drivers for X windows,
> actually decwindows. We get this to work on VAXstations but not on DEC
> stations.
> Is it actually possible to run such an application over decnet from
> VAX/VMS to
> ULTRIX ????

yes this is possible in the following cases :

1) you VAX/VMS machine must know that the server its talking to is a tcp/ip
connect (standard unix) and thus must communicate with it this way. this can be done via several products eg DEC's UCX etc ...

2) alternatively if you MUST run DecNet (sic) the the Ultrix machine must be running DecNet-Ultrix (very sic) and must know that the X stuff is comming on a DecNet connexion rather that tcp/ip as it would normally expect.

I've done this in the past with X-Terminals and all works okay once you've sorted things out.

braham

ps be wary of font loading !!

email: brahamlevy@uk.ac.keele (or similar)

mail-mail :				phone +44-782-621111x3943
j braham levy
UDSP Lab,
Electrical Engineering Group,
Dept. of Physics,