[comp.unix.misc] real-time UNIX?

rmfowler@texrex.uucp (Rex Fowler) (04/26/91)

Is there such a thing as real-time UNIX for a PC?  If so, what is the
product and who is the vendor?  Any other comments?

Thanks

--
Rex Fowler <rmfowler@texrex.cirr.com>
UUCP:  egsner!texrex!rmfowler

hugh@slee01.srl.ford.com (Hugh Fader) (04/26/91)

rmfowler@texrex.uucp (Rex Fowler) writes:
> Is there such a thing as real-time UNIX for a PC?  If so, what is the
> product and who is the vendor?  Any other comments?

A company called Lynx sells a real-time UNIX for PCs. I don't have
location or phone info, but there is an article on real-time UNIX
written by one of thier people in the April (I think) issue of UNIX
Review.

I think Win River is another real-time UNIX vendor. Again, I don't
have any more info. Check the ads in trade publications -- I recall
seeing ads from both companies.
--
Hugh Fader
hugh@slee01.srl.ford.com

sam@osc.edu (Sam Bair) (04/27/91)

In article <40789@fmsrl7.UUCP>, hugh@slee01.srl.ford.com (Hugh Fader) writes:
> rmfowler@texrex.uucp (Rex Fowler) writes:
> > Is there such a thing as real-time UNIX for a PC?  If so, what is the
> > product and who is the vendor?  Any other comments?

Venix/286 and Venix/386 offer "System V kernel and then adds fill preemptability and deteminism.  In addition, a contiguous file system, biased scheduling, asynchronous i/o and user level device drivers are added".  This from a glossy
I picked up at a trade show.

VenturCom, Inc.
215 First Street
Cambridge, MA 02142
(617)661-1230

src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de (Heiko Blume) (04/29/91)

hugh@slee01.srl.ford.com (Hugh Fader) writes:

>rmfowler@texrex.uucp (Rex Fowler) writes:
>> Is there such a thing as real-time UNIX for a PC?  If so, what is the
>> product and who is the vendor?  Any other comments?

[some real time unixes]

there's also a real time variant of interactive unix called venix.
--
   Heiko Blume <-+-> src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de <-+-> (+49 30) 691 88 93 [voice!]
                  public UNIX source archive [HST V.42bis]:

larry@mitra.mitra.com (Larry Williamson) (04/30/91)

> > > Is there such a thing as real-time UNIX for a PC?
> > A company called Lynx sells a real-time UNIX for PCs. ...
> Venix/286 and Venix/386 offer "System V kernel and then adds ...
>
> VenturCom, Inc.
> (617)661-1230

I've used the VenturCom product quite a bit at my previous job (with
Focus Automation Systems). The 386 product is essentially Interactive
386 Unix with some pretty snazzy drivers to provide the real time
enhancements. It is really quite a nice product.

We looked at the Lynx product before we settled on VenturCom, but we
did not like the fact that (at that time), you had to buy one of their
hardware boards to be able to use the system. As I recall, this board
provided some hardware support for the kernel, mostly for features
that I could not see us needing.

-Larry

nick@spider.co.uk (Nick Felisiak) (05/01/91)

In article <1991Apr26.032557.22159@texrex.uucp> rmfowler@texrex.cirr.com writes:
>Is there such a thing as real-time UNIX for a PC?  If so, what is the
>product and who is the vendor?  Any other comments?

Quantum Software in Canada have a product called QNX.  This has many of
the characteristics of a real-time system, and is quite Unix-like.

It runs on any PC hardware, although I wouldn't recommend anything smaller
than a 286!  There's a reasonable development environment, including
a window system which runs on VGA displays.

I've been using QNX for some months.

Phone (613) 591 0931.

Nick

--