[comp.unix.misc] Voice Mail

abmg@cathedral.cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu (Aliasghar Babadi) (05/21/91)

Hi,

	I like to be able to leave  voice messages on a computer
using telephone. for example:

	I call my friend at work she is not there I want to leave a voice
message for her on her computer so later on when she logs into her
account she see the voice mail and she can listen to it.

	1- I want to know if there is such a system available.
	2- Do you have any idea of how to do this?
	3- Where can I get some help and more info on this subject?

Thank you fro your help.

lmb@sat.com (Larry Blair) (05/22/91)

In article <1781@babcock.cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu> abmg@cathedral.cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu (
Aliasghar Babadi) writes:
=Hi,
=
=   I like to be able to leave  voice messages on a computer
=using telephone. for example:
=
=   I call my friend at work she is not there I want to leave a voice
=message for her on her computer so later on when she logs into her
=account she see the voice mail and she can listen to it.
=
=   1- I want to know if there is such a system available.
=   2- Do you have any idea of how to do this?
=   3- Where can I get some help and more info on this subject?

Octel Communications, which makes the Aspen voice mail system, has been
working on this problem.  I don't know if they are selling it yet, but you
could call them and ask.  Their number is (408) 942-6500.  Their address
is 890 Tasman Drive, Milpitas, CA (I don't remember the zip!).
--
Larry Blair   lmb@sat.com   {apple,decwrl}!sat!lmb

edw@sequent.UUCP (Ed Wright) (05/23/91)

----- News saved at 23 May 91 16:31:28 GMT
%
%	I like to be able to leave  voice messages on a computer
%using telephone. for example:
%
%	I call my friend at work she is not there I want to leave a voice
%message for her on her computer so later on when she logs into her
%account she see the voice mail and she can listen to it.
%
%	1- I want to know if there is such a system available.
%	2- Do you have any idea of how to do this?
%	3- Where can I get some help and more info on this subject?
%
%Thank you fro your help.

Although we have voice mail here at sequent, I have a hard time seeing the
big difference between it, and a $29.95 kmart answering machine, other
than perhaps the cost.
I generally send e-mail to someone who has it and does not answer the
phone.
Some times I even use .............. person to person contact !    :-)/2
So IMHO
 1. yes put a $29.95 answering machine on her phone.
    Long term, it might even be cheaper on an employee by employee basis
    than a high tech solution.
 2. go to Kmart
 3. Kmart
--
 I think I've got the hang of it now .... :w  :q  :wq  :wq! ^d  X exit
  X Q  :quitbye  CtrlAltDel   ~~q  :~q  logout  save/quit :!QUIT ^[zz ^[ZZ

andrew@resam.dk (Leif Andrew Rump) (05/30/91)

In <60710@sequent.UUCP> edw@sequent.UUCP (Ed Wright) writes:
>----- News saved at 23 May 91 16:31:28 GMT
>In article <1781@babcock.cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu> abmg@cathedral.cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu (Aliasghar Babadi) writes:
>%Hi,
>%
>%	I like to be able to leave  voice messages on a computer
>%using telephone. for example:
>%
>%	I call my friend at work she is not there I want to leave a voice
>%message for her on her computer so later on when she logs into her
>%account she see the voice mail and she can listen to it.
>%
>%	1- I want to know if there is such a system available.
>%	2- Do you have any idea of how to do this?
>%	3- Where can I get some help and more info on this subject?
>%
>%Thank you fro your help.

>Although we have voice mail here at sequent, I have a hard time seeing the
>big difference between it, and a $29.95 kmart answering machine, other
>than perhaps the cost.

With a company with more than one or two employees then the answering machine
won't work! To answer the original question: Yes it exist and it works quite
well. I tried it once when I called Island Graphics (a larger software house)
in the States. My contack person was not in so the receptionist asked me if I
wanted to leave a voice mail - Huh?!? Well, eeh, ok! Hello <beep> please ...
He called!  :-)  He told me later that voice mail worked much better than
notes and E-mail because it didn't get scribled on the way it came directly
from the senders mouth.

How it is done? Well you need to hook up a computer with an analog interface
to the telephone system or if it's internal mail to a microphone. You also need
a loudspeaker (a SunSparc has it all). Then you need some software to record
the sound, a _*HUGE*_ disk and some software that makes sure the right person
gets the right files for playback. It's quite simple actually!

Andrew

Leif Andrew Rump, AmbraSoft A/S, Stroedamvej 50, DK-2100 Copenhagen OE, Denmark
UUCP: andrew@ambra.dk, phone: +45 39 27 11 77                /
Currently at Scandinavian Airline Systems                =======/
UUCP: andrew@resam.dk, phone: +45 32 32 51 54                \
SAS, RESAM Project Office, CPHML-V, P.O.BOX 150, DK-2770 Kastrup, Denmark

                If it's broke, fix it (The MS-DOS way)
            If it aint broke, don't touch it (The Unix way)
	If we can't fix it, it ain't broke (Maintainer's Motto)
             If you can't fix it, fuck it (The U-boat way)

robertl@bucsf.bu.edu (Robert La Ferla) (05/31/91)

All NeXT workstations have voicemail.

Robert La Ferla
Lotus Development Corporation
Advanced Technology Group / NeXT Improv
robertl@lotus.com

philip@vogon.cetia.fr (Philip Peake) (06/06/91)

In article <1991May30.073220.1610@resam.dk>, andrew@resam.dk (Leif Andrew Rump) writes:
|> In <60710@sequent.UUCP> edw@sequent.UUCP (Ed Wright) writes:
|> >----- News saved at 23 May 91 16:31:28 GMT
|> >In article <1781@babcock.cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu> abmg@cathedral.cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu (Aliasghar Babadi) writes:
|>
|> >Although we have voice mail here at sequent, I have a hard time seeing the
|> >big difference between it, and a $29.95 kmart answering machine, other
|> >than perhaps the cost.
|>
|> With a company with more than one or two employees then the answering machine
|> won't work!

Ok, I'll take the bait ... why won't the answering machine work with
more than two or three people ?

Whilst on this subject, I would like to point out that I *hate* voice mail
systems - particularly the semi-automated variety.

Given the choise I won't deal with companies that use it.

A typical problem (for me) is that I call a Californian company (there is a
9 hour time difference, so there is a very small overlap in the time that
both myself and the person I'm trying to contact are in the office at
the same time).

I call the direct number on his buisness card, and what do I get ?
Voice mail ! - that was a wasted transatlantic 'phone call.

So, I call the company switchboard, ask to speak to Mr. X, and am connected
to (you guessed it) his voice mail !!!

(A second wasted transatlantic 'phone call).

I re-call the switchboard, and explain that I want to speak to the person,
not a machine, so can she get the person on the 'phone before connecting
me ? "Our system doesn't support that" she says ...

The moral - if you *insist* on using this retrograde technology, list
THREE numbers on your buisness card - one for the company switchboard,
one for yourself, and one for your voice mail system.

Philip

dberg@informix.com (David I. Berg) (06/07/91)

In article <1991Jun6.075141.8108@cetia.fr> philip@vogon.cetia.fr (Philip Peake) writes:

>Whilst on this subject, I would like to point out that I *hate* voice mail
>systems - particularly the semi-automated variety.

I fully agree with you.

>I call the direct number on his buisness card, and what do I get ?
>Voice mail ! - that was a wasted transatlantic 'phone call.

A properly implemented voice mail system will have a touch-tone
option to redirect the call to an operator, receptionist, etc.
Unfortunately, it takes such a long time for the recorded message
to tell you about all the options, you are into your next life before
you get to leave a message.

>So, I call the company switchboard, ask to speak to Mr. X, and am connected
>to (you guessed it) his voice mail !!!

Again, you shouldn't have to do this step if the voice mail system
allows you to redirect your call.

>I re-call the switchboard, and explain that I want to speak to the person,
>not a machine, so can she get the person on the 'phone before connecting
>me ? "Our system doesn't support that" she says ...

I had to call my brother long distance to advise him of a death in
the family and got tangled in a web of poorly implemented voice mail
networking. It took an hour before I got to speak to a human being
who could locate my brother in a meeting to advise him of my call.
I was upset enough before this; now I was angry.

>The moral - if you *insist* on using this retrograde technology, list
>THREE numbers on your buisness card - one for the company switchboard,
>one for yourself, and one for your voice mail system.

I know people who have a pager number on their business card so callers
don't have to go through their company's voice mail.

  ___                   ___              dberg@cougar.informix.com
  /  ) __      . __/    /_ ) _       __  Informix Software Inc.  (303) 850-0210
_/__/ (_(_ (/ / (_(_  _/__> (-' -/~ (_-  5299 DTC Blvd #740; Englewood CO 80111
{uunet|pyramid}!infmx!dberg        The opinions expressed herein are mine alone.

edw@sequent.UUCP (Ed Wright) (06/08/91)

In article <1991Jun6.194116.14714@informix.com> dberg@informix.com (David I. Berg) writes:
%In article <1991Jun6.075141.8108@cetia.fr> philip@vogon.cetia.fr (Philip Peake) writes:
%>In article <1991May30.073220.1610@resam.dk>, andrew@resam.dk (Leif Andrew Rump) writes:
%>|> In <60710@sequent.UUCP> edw@sequent.UUCP (Ed Wright) writes:
%>|> >In article <1781@babcock.cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu> abmg@cathedral.cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu (Aliasghar Babadi) writes:
%
%>.......
%>Whilst on this subject, I would like to point out that I *hate* voice mail
%>systems - particularly the semi-automated variety.
%
%I fully agree with you.
%
AS implemented here, the caller can skip the message and proceed to leaving
one, or can break out to a real live humanoid. These 2 features make the
voice mail here at Sequent really acceptable. Our Resources Group worked
long and hard to see what was available and be sure that they could
satisfy our users and callers. Other companies could learn from that
example. Specifically one of my credit unions, who when I called during
normal business greated me with voice mail.
Dial the extension now		I didn't know the extention, and there
				was no way that I knew of to get it.
I went down the primrose path about 8 layers deep, and finally sent
them a letter that in essence said that I wanted a call, and I wanted
to talk to a human when I called, and my next letter would be to close
all the accounts for my family.

Within two weeks the opening message was changed to include an escape
to an operator option. I guess I wasn't the only frustrated one.

Good voice mail is a good tool. Poorly implemented voice mail is a
pain in the butt.

Ed
--
 I think I've got the hang of it now .... :w  :q  :wq  :wq! ^d  X exit ^X^C
 ^[x  X Q  :quitbye  CtrlAltDel   ~~q  :~q  logout  save/quit :!QUIT ^[zz ^[ZZ

allan@sinix.UUCP (Allan Perry) (06/19/91)

In article <1991Jun6.075141.8108@cetia.fr> philip@vogon.cetia.fr (Philip Peake) writes:

>|> With a company with more than one or two employees then the answering
>|> machine won't work!

First, if the company only has one or two employees, then an answering machine
is adequate.  On the other hand, most companies have more employees than that.

I can think of two features that most voice mail systems have that an
answering machine doesn't have:

1. The ability to save and delete individual messages.  Every answering
   machine that I have ever only allows you to delete all of your messages.

2. Voice mailing lists.  Even though I have only seen this used effectively
   on a broadcast basis (i.e., the message is sent to every voice mailbox),
   it is a nice feature that answering machines can do.

I like voice mail and I wish we had it here.

>Ok, I'll take the bait ... why won't the answering machine work with
>more than two or three people ?

See above.

>Whilst on this subject, I would like to point out that I *hate* voice mail
>systems - particularly the semi-automated variety.
>
>Given the choise I won't deal with companies that use it.
>
>A typical problem (for me) is that I call a Californian company (there is a
>9 hour time difference, so there is a very small overlap in the time that
>both myself and the person I'm trying to contact are in the office at
>the same time).
>
>I call the direct number on his buisness card, and what do I get ?
>Voice mail ! - that was a wasted transatlantic 'phone call.

And if they are using an answering machine, you get an answering machine.

>So, I call the company switchboard, ask to speak to Mr. X, and am connected
>to (you guessed it) his voice mail !!!
>(A second wasted transatlantic 'phone call).

And if they are using an answering machine, you either get the answering
machine directly or the switchboard give you the answering machine.

>I re-call the switchboard, and explain that I want to speak to the person,
>not a machine, so can she get the person on the 'phone before connecting
>me ? "Our system doesn't support that" she says ...

And if they are using an answering machine, you either get the answering
machine directly or, instead of saying "our system doesn't support that",
she says "I am sorry, sir, but if he is not at his desk ..." (or something
equally polite, but unhelpful).  The only case where you wouldn't get a
machine in this case is if the switchboard operator searches for that
person, maybe by physically walking around the building (unlikely) or calling
the person's manager.  This could take some time and still not find the
person and result in a much longer wasted transatlantic phone call.
And this would work the same for voice mail or answering machine systems.

In other words, in your case, an answering machine is almost equivalent to
a voice mail system.  So, I suppose you wouldn't (if you had a choice) do
business with companies that use answering machines either.

>The moral - if you *insist* on using this retrograde technology, list
>THREE numbers on your buisness card - one for the company switchboard,
>one for yourself, and one for your voice mail system.

The moral is don't blame voice mail for the inherent difficulties of doing
business with places on the other 6000 miles away and the pain of playing
telephone tag.  I don't see you offering a solution.

Incidentally, I am working in Munich and most of my friends, family, creditors,
business associates, etc. are in the U.S. (mostly CA).  However, I knew
there would be problems communicating and I live with it.

alan