[comp.unix.misc] who's fingering me

noamb@over.caltech.edu (Noam Bernstein) (06/10/91)

Hi
I've been led to understand that in some newsgroup someplace there's been
a discussion of how to tell who is fingering you when.  I currently
have my .plan as a named pipe, with a daemon to monitor it and give
time dependent output.  I'd like to know how my plan program can find out
who I'm being fingered by.  If anyone out there knows how to do this,
I'd appreciate any information about it.
						thanks,
						Noam B.

					    noamb@through.ugcs.caltech.edu
					    noamb@tybalt.caltech.edu

sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) (06/10/91)

The answer is: it can't. The IP protocols do not transmit userid
information, and neither does the finger protocol. A system using Dan
Bernstein's mods would be able to supply userid info, but your fingerd
daemon would need to be modified to use his authentication libary.

(Wish everyone was using it)

Sean

--
** Sean Casey  <sean@s.ms.uky.edu>

rcbarn@rwa.urc.tue.nl (Raymond Nijssen) (06/11/91)

sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) writes:

>The answer is: it can't. The IP protocols do not transmit userid
>information, and neither does the finger protocol. A system using Dan
>Bernstein's mods would be able to supply userid info, but your fingerd
>daemon would need to be modified to use his authentication libary.

As a very simple but useful workaround in this case, you can use a
fingerd that immediately fingers back to the host it receives a request
from, thus revealing potential userid of people who are fingering your
system. Have a look at ftp.win.tue.nl:~ftp/pub/logdaemon.tar.Z
(available for anon. ftp). It contains various utilities of this
kind written by Wietse Venema.

-Raymond

--
| Raymond X.T. Nijssen  | Eindhoven Univ. of Technology                       |
| raymond@es.ele.tue.nl | EH 7.13, PO 513, 5600 MB Eindhoven, The Netherlands |

jaenicke@w414zrz.ee.tu-berlin.de (Lutz Jaenicke) (06/12/91)

In article <rcbarn.676630997@rwa.urc.tue.nl> rcbarn@urc.tue.nl writes:

>As a very simple but useful workaround in this case, you can use a
>fingerd that immediately fingers back to the host it receives a request
>from...
>
>-Raymond

Seems to be quite a good way. I hope that there are not too much people
this special fingerd or that a lock on maximum fingerd uses is applied.

Or would you like your fingerd to finger the fingerer, calling his fingerd,
which therefore fingers _you_ again, forcing your fingerd-system to finger...

Would be fun, wouldn't it?
	Lutz

--
Lutz Jaenicke 				jaenicke@w414zrz.ee.tu-berlin.de
Institut fuer Elektrische Maschinen	jaenicke@emapollo.ee.tu-berlin.de

gary@sci34hub.sci.com (Gary Heston) (06/17/91)

In article <rcbarn.676630997@rwa.urc.tue.nl> rcbarn@urc.tue.nl writes:
=sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) writes:
=>
=>The answer is: it can't. The IP protocols do not transmit userid
=>information, and neither does the finger protocol. A system using Dan
=>Bernstein's mods would be able to supply userid info, but your fingerd
=>daemon would need to be modified to use his authentication libary.

=As a very simple but useful workaround in this case, you can use a
=fingerd that immediately fingers back to the host it receives a request
=from, thus revealing potential userid of people who are fingering your
=system. Have a look at ftp.win.tue.nl:~ftp/pub/logdaemon.tar.Z
=(available for anon. ftp). It contains various utilities of this
=kind written by Wietse Venema.

...and when a user on a machine implementing this fingers someone on
another machine implementing it, the second machine fingers the first
to see who it is, causing the first machine to finger the second again,
causing the second to finger the first again, etc., etc., etc.

Sounds like positive feedback, to me. It would be better to change
finger to provide the requesting uid, and fingerd to reject requests
that don't provide it.

--
Gary Heston   System Mismanager and technoflunky   uunet!sci34hub!gary or
My opinions, not theirs.    SCI Systems, Inc.       gary@sci34hub.sci.com

rcbarn@rwa.urc.tue.nl (Raymond Nijssen) (06/19/91)

gary@sci34hub.sci.com (Gary Heston) writes:
>In article <rcbarn.676630997@rwa.urc.tue.nl> rcbarn@urc.tue.nl writes:
>=sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) writes:
>=>
>=>The answer is: it can't. The IP protocols do not transmit userid
>=>information, and neither does the finger protocol. [...]
>=As a very simple but useful workaround in this case, you can use a
>=fingerd that immediately fingers back to the host it receives a request
>=from, thus revealing potential userid of people who are fingering your
>=system. [...]

>...and when a user on a machine implementing this fingers someone on
>another machine implementing it, the second machine fingers the first
>to see who it is, causing the first machine to finger the second again,
>causing the second to finger the first again, etc., etc., etc.

It seems that my previous posting could easily be misunderstood; I did
not at all mean to suggest that these very simple workarounds were
capable of solving all shortcomings of the IP protocols; they merely
exchange one disadvantage for another.

>Sounds like positive feedback, to me.

Well, don't be so negative before you had a look at it; I don't know
exactly how smart these tools are, but I can very well imagine that
some kind of very trivial check to avoid unnecessary backfingers is
built in.

>It would be better to change finger to provide the requesting uid,
>and fingerd to reject requests that don't provide it.

The problem is not just fingerd; in general, all IP stuff suffers from
some kind of this problem. As for me, I can't think of no good reason
why IP protocols don't transmit UID info, but I guess we'll have to
live with it.

wswietse@svbs01.bs.win.tue.nl (Wietse Venema) (06/27/91)

>=As a very simple but useful workaround in this case, you can use a
>=fingerd that immediately fingers back to the host it receives a request
>=from, thus revealing potential userid of people who are fingering your
>=system. Have a look at ftp.win.tue.nl:~ftp/pub/logdaemon.tar.Z
>=(available for anon. ftp). It contains various utilities of this
>=kind written by Wietse Venema.

Correction: this archive only contains programs that report the remote
host name (and user name in case of rlogin/rsh connections). There are
just too many potential problems with automatic backfingering.