[comp.windows.x.announce] Where DOES one announce commercial X11 products??!?!?

abm@alan.aux.apple.com (01/10/91)

I have seen the acidic (how's the ulcer, Bob? :-) comments recently regarding
commercial product announcements on comp.windows.x.announce.  I guess they
are _verboten_.

Question:  Where CAN I announce the availability of my new whiz-bang goodie
which we charge money (albiet not much) for that will reach the X11
community for whom it is really solely useful?

Is it possibly that one can simply put out a small one-paragraph
announcement on comp.windows.x.announce and ask people to respond by email
for more details, thus avoiding tying up all of our precious network
bandwidth except for people who are truly interested?  I would go for
that if Bob&Co. agree to it...

I really want to play by the rules, but I have never seen a concise
statement of what they are and how one appeals them if they're considered
to be unfair to a large enough group of people...

Thanks for any clarification anyone can provide.
--

Alan Mimms (alan@apple.com, ...!apple!alan)   | My opinions are generally
A/UX X group                                  | pretty worthless, but

klee@wsl.dec.com (Ken Lee) (01/10/91)

In article <11677@goofy.Apple.COM>, abm@alan.aux.apple.com writes:
|> Question:  Where CAN I announce the availability of my new whiz-bang goodie
|> which we charge money (albiet not much) for that will reach the X11
|> community for whom it is really solely useful?

Commercial announcements can be sent to comp.newprod, where traffic is
usually light.  I, too, would like to see comp.windows.x.announce used
solely for official announcements.  If there is sufficient demand for
an X-only product group, comp.windows.x.newprod would be a good idea.

--
Ken Lee
DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.

nick@esacs.UUCP (Nikolaos Tsivranidis) (01/10/91)

In article <1991Jan9.110758@wsl.dec.com>, klee@wsl.dec.com (Ken Lee) writes:
> In article <11677@goofy.Apple.COM>, abm@alan.aux.apple.com writes:
> |> Question:  Where CAN I announce the availability of my new whiz-bang goodie
> |> which we charge money (albiet not much) for that will reach the X11
> |> community for whom it is really solely useful?
>
> I, too, would like to see comp.windows.x.announce used
> solely for official announcements.  If there is sufficient demand for

  How many "official" announcements per year do you anticipate? How
  many total X-related announcements? Seems to me, the traffic on this
  list is also light enough to accomodate everyone, so that we don't
  have to read about somebody's new compiler for the Amiga (:-))
  in comp.newprod(sp?). I also agree that we should let the creator
  of the group decide how it should be used, but on the other hand
  "popular demand" still counts for something, doesn't it?

						- nick -