[comp.org.eff.talk] What is this newsgroup about?

dorsai@pawl.rpi.edu (G. Donald Moncreaff) (08/22/90)

the subject line say's it all...
--
respectfully yours,
                                                Gregory D. Moncreaff

denise@dadla.WR.TEK.COM (Denise Caire) (08/22/90)

In article <6`_%_`_@rpi.edu> dorsai@pawl.rpi.edu (G. Donald Moncreaff) writes:

>the subject line say's it all...
>--
>respectfully yours,
>                                                Gregory D. Moncreaff
>                                                dorsai@pawl.rpi.edu

No offense, but this is so-o-o vague.  Can you give yourself a
comprehensive answer.  (I noticed that you are responding to yourself.)

What is the nature of the discussions you forsaw would take place on
this net?  Just thought I might learn something about efficiently
organizing computers or something along that line.  But, if this is
not the intent of this group, then time to Unsubscribe.  :-)
Thank you.

petrilli@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Chris Petrilli) (08/22/90)

I have not seen any post concerning what this group is about, but I may
have missed, our usenet news handler missing things sometimes.

Perhaps a copy of the announcement would help explain what the
Electronic Frountier Foundation is about...

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE               July 10, 1990

NEW FOUNDATION ESTABLISHED TO ENCOURAGE COMPUTER-BASED COMMUNICATIONS
POLICIES

Contact: Cathy Cook (415) 759-5578

 Washington, D.C., July 10, 1990 -- Mitchell D. Kapor, founder of
Lotus Development Corporation and ON Technology, today announced that
he, along with colleague John Perry Barlow, has established a
foundation to address social and legal issues arising from the impact
on society of the increasingly pervasive use of computers as a means
of communication and information distribution.  The Electronic
Frontier Foundation (EFF) will support and engage in public education
on current and future developments in computer-based and
telecommunications media.  In addition, it will support litigation in
the public interest to preserve, protect and extend First Amendment
rights within the realm of computing and telecommunications
technology.

Initial funding for the Foundation comes from private contributions by
Kapor and Steve Wozniak, co-founder of Apple Computer, Inc.  The
Foundation expects to actively raise contributions from a wide
constituency.

As an initial step to foster public education on these issues, the
Foundation today awarded a grant to the Palo Alto, California-based
public advocacy group Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility
(CPSR).  The grant will be used by CPSR to expand the scope of its
on-going Computing and Civil Liberties Project (see attached).

Because its mission is to not only increase public awareness about
civil liberties issues arising in the area of computer-based
communications, but also to support litigation in the public interest,
the  Foundation has recently intervened on behalf of two legal cases.

The first case concerns Steve Jackson, an Austin-based game
manufacturer who was the target of the Secret Service's Operation Sun
Devil.  The EFF has pressed for a full disclosure by the government
regarding the seizure of his company's computer equipment.  In the
second action, the Foundation intends to seek amicus curiae  (friend
of the court) status in the government's case against Craig Neidorf, a
20-year-old University of Missouri student who is the editor of the
electronic newsletter Phrack World News (see attached).

"It is becoming increasingly obvious that the rate of technology
advancement in communications is far outpacing the establishment of
appropriate cultural, legal and political frameworks to handle the
issues that are arising," said Kapor. "And the Steve Jackson and
Neidorf cases dramatically point to the timeliness of the Foundation's
mission. We intend to be instrumental in helping shape a new framework
that embraces these powerful new technologies for the public good."

The use of new digital media -- in the form of on-line information and
interactive conferencing services, computer networks and electronic
bulletin boards -- is becoming widespread in businesses and homes.
However, the electronic society created by these new forms of digital
communications does not fit neatly into existing, conventional legal
and social structures.

The question of how electronic communications should be accorded the
same political freedoms as newspapers, books, journals and other modes
of discourse is currently the subject of discussion among this
country's lawmakers and members of the computer industry.  The EFF
will take an active role in these discussions through its continued
funding of various educational projects and forums.

An important facet of the Foundation's mission is to help both the
public and policy-makers see and understand the opportunities as well
as the challenges posed by developments in computing and
telecommunications. Also, the EFF will encourage and support the
development of new software to enable non-technical users to more
easily use their computers to access the growing number of digital
communications services available.

The Foundation is located in Cambridge, Mass.  Requests for
information should be sent to Electronic Frontier Foundation, One
Cambridge Center, Suite 300, Cambridge, MA 02142, 617/577-1385, fax
617/225-2347; or it can be reached at the Internet mail address
eff@well.sf.ca.us.

I hope that Mitch, Steve and John don't mind me posting this... I though
people might be interested, if they don't already know what it is.

+ Chris Petrilli                                    "Opinons represented here
| University of Texas at Austin                      do not necessarily
| INTERNET: petrilli@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu              represent those of a sane
| SNAILMAIL: 429 Brady Lane, Austin, Texas, 78746    person.  Take them as
+ PHONE:     +1 512 327 0986                         simply that."

jkellner@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John Edward Kellner) (08/25/90)

Thank GOD they're not another group trying to "regulate" the network.

It is about time some of the "well off" people do something productive with
their money.