[comp.org.eff.talk] Separation of powers -- SS and FBI

rose@beowulf.ucsd.edu (Dan Rose) (09/14/90)

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) writes:
>FBI is under the executive branch.  The SS is under the treasury.
>This was done to aide the ballance of power.

Huh?  The three branches of U.S. federal government are executive,
legislative, and judicial.  The SS is part of the Treasury Dept.,
which is part of the executive branch.  I don't know if the FBI
is part of a cabinet department (perhaps Justice?), but it's also
in the executive branch.  They're separate because they were created
for different reasons (SS originally to investigate treasury-related
problems like counterfeiting).  This has nothing to do with separation
of powers among the branches of government.

						Dan Rose
						CSE Dept., UCSD
--
Dan Rose		{ucbvax,decvax,akgua,dcdwest}!sdcsvax!beowulf!rose.uucp
UC San Diego		rose%cs@ucsd.edu