[comp.org.eff.talk] What should be done with the cops come a'knockin at the door?

TK0JUT2@netsys.NETSYS.COM (09/24/90)

A question for the law types out there: There has been considerable
discussion on various nets about how to handle a situation if local or
federal investigators come to the door. Is there a rule of thumb on what to
do if:

1) One has done nothing wrong, but doesn't want to talk?
2) One isn't sure if they've done something wrong, and doesn't want to risk
   incrimination?
3) One has committed some transgression, but it isn't clear whether this
   visit is about those, or, if it is, how much one should cooperate?
4) At what point should one keep silent? At what point should an atty be
   requested? At one point should it be asked, "Am I under investigation?"

It appears that those who have cooperated with the secret service, either
through sincere belief that they did nothing wrong or through coercion have
not been helped by their cooperation. There are rumors, stories,
misconceptions, and general misinformation about how one should act and how
one can assure their rights are protected. Could somebody draft up
something that might be used to reduce the ignorance of the rest of us?

Jim Thomas

In article <180@netsys.NETSYS.COM> niu.bitnet!TK0JUT2@netsys.NETSYS.COM writes:
> A question for the law types out there: There has been considerable
> discussion on various nets about how to handle a situation if local or
> federal investigators come to the door. Is there a rule of thumb on what to
> do if:

My general impression was ``call your lawyer first, talk later.'' You
aren't incriminating yourself by refusing to say anything without a
lawyer present.

---Dan

Actually, some good simple rules that apply to any adversary or
investigator (press or police) are:

a) Don't talk if you have any reason to believe that they *think* or
suspect you of any wrongdoing.  (Wrongdoing by their definitions, not yours.)

b) If you must talk, *ask* questions, do not anwer.  And take care to make
sure your own questions do not contain answers.  If you remember to always
ask a question, you put them on the defensive and confuse them, because they
think they are there to ask the questions.   They may not be fazed, but
sometimes this is more fun than "no comment."

c) Be "fully" cooperative, but insist that everything take place in writing.
Say, "If you would be prepared to give a *complete* list of your questions
in writing, I will give them due consideration."   This makes them stop and
think.  (With the press, it also can add a delay which makes them go away.
If they insist on speed, tell them to fax the questions.  You are under
no obligation to fax the answers back, even if you do answer.)   In this
situation, you can't be accused of refusing to comment.   You are just being
careful and getting documentation -- an admirable trait.

Get a complete list of questions -- make them understand they don't get to
ask any more -- that way you can sometimes figure their intent.

d) If you can slow it down, slow it down.  Using writing is just one example
of this.  Slowing it down is almost always in your advantage, and not in
theirs.

e) Scare 'em.  It may not work, but tell them you are turning on your
camcorder or tape recorder while they do what they do -- for your records.
It may have no weight in evidence, and they may tell you to shut it down
(legally or not) but it will scare 'em.  And it looks bad if they refuse
you your right to document events.  These guys live by documentation and
paperwork.   But they don't like it if they are stepping over the line.

And of course, if you think you are in serious shit, call your lawyer.  Ask
if you are under arrest, and under what charge.  If you are under arrest, you
have a right to call a lawyer (eventually).  If you are not, you are free
to call a lawyer.

mbrown@tonic.osf.org (Mark Brown) (09/24/90)

[This thread on "what to do when the cops show up" has been cross-posted to
 misc.legal for your convenience...]

brad@looking.on.ca (Brad Templeton) writes:
|> Actually, some good simple rules that apply to any adversary or
|> investigator (press or police) are:
|> a) Don't talk if you have any reason to believe that they *think* or
|> suspect you of any wrongdoing.  (Wrongdoing by their definitions, not
yours.)

Best advice. *NEVER* volunteer *ANYTHING*. When they show up, you'll probably
be under stress -- and your mistakes will count against you.
Get A Lawyer.

|> b) If you must talk, *ask* questions, do not anwer.  And take care to make
|> sure your own questions do not contain answers.  If you remember to always
|> ask a question, you put them on the defensive and confuse them, because they
|> think they are there to ask the questions.   They may not be fazed, but
|> sometimes this is more fun than "no comment."

This won't last long; they think they are there to ask the questions and will
usually enforce this concept. This might work if you are not a suspect.

|> c) Be "fully" cooperative, but insist that everything take place in writing.
|> Say, "If you would be prepared to give a *complete* list of your questions
|> in writing, I will give them due consideration."   This makes them stop and

This will only work if you are not a suspect.

|> d) If you can slow it down, slow it down.  Using writing is just one example
|> of this.  Slowing it down is almost always in your advantage, and not in
|> theirs.

'sTruth.

|> e) Scare 'em.  It may not work, but tell them you are turning on your
|> camcorder or tape recorder while they do what they do -- for your records.
|> It may have no weight in evidence, and they may tell you to shut it down
|> (legally or not) but it will scare 'em.  And it looks bad if they refuse
|> you your right to document events.  These guys live by documentation and
|> paperwork.   But they don't like it if they are stepping over the line.

This will not happen, if you are a suspect.

|> And of course, if you think you are in serious shit, call your lawyer.  Ask
|> if you are under arrest, and under what charge.  If you are under
arrest, you
|> have a right to call a lawyer (eventually).  If you are not, you are free
|> to call a lawyer.

Once again, the best advice.

I write this from experience, having had friends arrested in the past. The
locale at the time was Odessa, TX; your mileage may vary.

Mark Brown   IBM AWD / OSF  |"What would I have done if I had been editor?
The Good     mbrown@osf.org |Perhaps, like George Ernsberger, I would have
The Bad     uunet!osf!mbrown|found a new job."
The Ugly     (617) 621-8981 |		-- Norman Spinrad, on HYPERION

paul@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (Paul Pomes - UofIllinois CSO) (09/24/90)

The first thing to do when talking with the police/SS/etc, is DON'T LET
THEM INTO THE HOUSE!  Do your talking on the porch, sidewalk, their office,
etc.  The SC has held that once the police are in your home, they are free
to walk through the house.  Bring a lawyer if the questions are questionable
(so to speak).

/pbp
--
         Paul Pomes

UUCP: {att,iuvax,uunet}!uiucuxc!paul   Internet, BITNET: paul@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu
US Mail:  UofIllinois, CSO, 1304 W Springfield Ave, Urbana, IL  61801-2910

In article <1990Sep24.043757.28285@looking.on.ca> brad@looking.on.ca (Brad Templeton) writes:
> e) Scare 'em.  It may not work, but tell them you are turning on your
> camcorder or tape recorder while they do what they do -- for your records.

If you're really desperate, you can get one of those home security
systems that (among other things) continuously films various rooms from
hidden cameras. Then you'll have a videotape of them telling you to turn
off your tape recorder. :-)

---Dan

JBB115@psuvm.psu.edu (09/26/90)

A funny thing happened to me one day when I came home from school! There's
this car in my driveway a Crown Victoria with a siren in the front seat.
Well I speak from my own experience. Say Nothing unless you are cofident of
your abilities to handle yourself.  90% of police work is done because
people rat on each other, and 10% is done cause the police (pick one)
harass, coerce, trick, etc people into admitting what they did.  In my case
I talked the whole time rather threateningly too.  The cop said "We know you
did it so why don't you admit it it will make it easier on you, your parents, a
nd us and if you make it easier on us the Judge will go easy on you. Well I
stood up and said you dont know Sh*t.  And all of this was infront of my
parents and the cop wanted a lie detector and everything when he said this
my dad went crazy. "A Lie Detector?!!!" Well anyway to make a long story
short I didn't take a lie detector I didn't go to jail (I was 18) and I got an
apology out of it...So If you didn't do anything don't say anything orelse say
something unpolite! It will make you feel beter!
            Jon