[comp.org.eff.talk] Sears/IBM vs. GEnie

mcb@reason.ig.com (Michael C. Berch) (10/02/90)

In the referenced article, niu.bitnet!TK0JUT2@netsys.NETSYS.COM writes:
> The recent note indicating how Sears/IBM censors GEnie may provide a warning
> for the dangers when corporate interests control information flow. [...]

My understanding is that GEnie is owned and operated by General
Electric Information Systems, and that Sears and IBM operate the
PRODIGY Service as a joint venture.  PRODIGY is definitely
"information-controlled" (I prefer not to use the term "censored",
which implies state action) by its management; I do not know whether
GEnie is.

--
Michael C. Berch
mcb@presto.ig.com / uunet!presto.ig.com!mcb / ames!bionet!mcb

jpallen@ics.uci.edu (Jonathan Pine Allen) (10/02/90)

In article <Oct.1.16.54.59.1990.3288@reason.ig.com> mcb@reason.ig.com (Michael C. Berch) writes:

>My understanding is that GEnie is owned and operated by General
>Electric Information Systems, and that Sears and IBM operate the
>PRODIGY Service as a joint venture.  PRODIGY is definitely
>"information-controlled" (I prefer not to use the term "censored",
>which implies state action) by its management; I do not know whether
>GEnie is.

I find it interesting that this article, and the one before it, suggest
that censorship is a concept that can only be applied to the "public
sector".

I think it's more useful to think of censorship as a description of the
information flow restrictions that exist in a certain context, given the
mix of private and public information sources, their associated costs,
audiences, ease of access, etc.  I would argue that in a situation where
the "public sector" got completely out of the business, i.e. no more
Internet, and the only means left for distributing our various net boards
would be through "information-controlled" databases such as PRODIGY, we
would be fully justified in invoking the heated devil-term of "censorship".

JPA