[comp.org.eff.talk] Nevada Guv candidate issues hacker statement

bzs@world.std.com (Barry Shein) (09/30/90)

James Gallaway, republican candidate for governor in Nevada, issued a
statement including the following:

"These are my positions, relative to some of the recent law
enforcement practices by some government agents:

1. Government responses to alleged misdemeanors and crimes must be no
more than comparable to the seriousness of the wrong-doings;

2. Simple electronic trespass without harm must be treated as any
other simple trespass.  It does not justify armed raids on teenagers,
forced entry of private homes, nor seizure of telephone handsets,
answering machines, computer printers, published documentation, audio
tapes and the like;

3. The notion that equipment can be "arrested" and held inaccessible
to its owner, without promptly charging the owner with a crime, is
absolutely unacceptable.  The practice of holding seized equipment and
data for months or years is a serious penalty that must be imposed
only by a court of law and only after a fair and public hearing and
judicial finding of guilt;

4. Teleconferencing and BBS systems must have the same protections
against suppression, prior restraint, search or seizure as do
newspapers, printing presses and public meeting places;

5. The contents of electronic-mail and of confidential or closed
teleconferencing exchanges must have the same protections against
surveillance or seizure as does First Class Mail in a U.S. Post
Office, and private discussions among a group in a home or boardroom."

Gallaway has been a principal in several telecom and computer company
startups.

(excerpted from a ClariNet/UPI article)
--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | {xylogics,uunet}!world!bzs | bzs@world.std.com

kstrong@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Lord of the Realms) (10/01/90)

In article <1990Sep29.210530.19648@world.std.com> bzs@world.std.com (Barry Shein) writes:
>James Gallaway, republican candidate for governor in Nevada, issued a
>
>Gallaway has been a principal in several telecom and computer company
>startups.

Mabey I'm getting the spelling of the last name wrong, but isn't James Gallaway
a famous musician?  He plays the flute and like instruments.  If I'm wrong, I'm
sorry to waste net space.

ellis@motcid.UUCP (John T Ellis) (10/02/90)

>In article <1990Sep29.210530.19648@world.std.com> bzs@world.std.com (Barry Shein) writes:
>>James Gallaway, republican candidate for governor in Nevada, issued a
>>
>>Gallaway has been a principal in several telecom and computer company
>>startups.
>>
>Mabey I'm getting the spelling of the last name wrong, but isn't James Gallaway
>a famous musician?  He plays the flute and like instruments.  If I'm wrong, I'm
>sorry to waste net space.

No, you got it right.  James Gallaway is an Irish flute player.  He excels
at, but is not limited to, Henry Mancini.
--
-------------------------------+------------------------------------------------
  John T. Ellis 708-632-7857   |If builders built buildings the way programmers

bam@bnlux0.bnl.gov (Bruce A. Martin) (10/02/90)

In article <3199@vela.acs.oakland.edu> kstrong@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Lord of the Realms) writes:
>In article <1990Sep29.210530.19648@world.std.com> bzs@world.std.com (Barry Shein) writes:
>>James Gallaway, republican candidate for governor in Nevada, issued a
>Mabey I'm getting the spelling of the last name wrong, but isn't James Gallaway
 ^^^^^
Maybe the writer's spelling is as bad as yours.    :-)

>a famous musician?  He plays the flute and like instruments.  If I'm wrong, I'm

Or maybe there are two people in the world who just happen
to have the same last name.    ;-)

>sorry to waste net space.
So am I, but I couldn't resist, this time.  :>

P.S.  I also thought future-Governor whatzisname's (sp?) statement was great!
I hope, for the sake of all of us, that it gets more media attention.

#include disclaimer.h      /* Of course my opinions are mine alone! */

mmeyer@m2.csc.ti.com (Mark Meyer) (10/03/90)

In article <4475@orchid12.UUCP> ellis@motcid.UUCP (John T Ellis) writes:
No, you got it right.  James Gallaway is an Irish flute player.  He excels
at, but is not limited to, Henry Mancini.

In this article I write:

	No, you got it wrong.  (Well, it's only a misspelling.)  The
musician's name is James >Galway<.  I am certain of this because,
though I am not a music connoisseur, I have seen Galway on an American
Express "Do you know me?" commercial complete with name typed on a
fake card and everything.

--
Mark Meyer          USENET: {ut-sally!im4u,convex!smu,sun!texsun}!ti-csl!mmeyer
Texas Instruments, Inc.                                   CSNET : mmeyer@TI-CSL

zippy@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Patrick Tufts) (10/03/90)

In article <4475@orchid12.UUCP> motcid!ellis@uunet.uu.NET (John T Ellis) writes:
>>In article <1990Sep29.210530.19648@world.std.com> bzs@world.std.com (Barry Shein) writes:
>>>James Gallaway, republican candidate for governor in Nevada, issued a

>>Mabey I'm getting the spelling of the last name wrong, but isn't James Gallaway
>>a famous musician?  He plays the flute and like instruments.  If I'm wrong, I'm
>>sorry to waste net space.
>

>No, you got it right.  James Gallaway is an Irish flute player.  He excels

EEoonie WAAnah! That's James Galway, the musician.  Not Galaway, and
definitely not James Throat-Wobbler Mangrove!!! :-) !!!

--Pat

--

			This .sig space for rent.