[comp.org.eff.talk] Another U's policy on \ on employees\

TK0JUT2@netsys.NETSYS.COM (10/06/90)

At Northern Illinois University, it requires a warrant to snoop about in
somebody's files (whether e-mail or general files), and a snoopee is required
to be notified of potential snooping *prior* mucking about.  Maybe Mike Godwin
can clarify the law on this point if he's still around (congrats on the
Cambridge position, Mike!).....

mnemonic@well.sf.ca.us (Mike Godwin) (10/07/90)

In article <189@netsys.NETSYS.COM> niu.bitnet!TK0JUT2@netsys.NETSYS.COM writes:
>At Northern Illinois University, it requires a warrant to snoop about in
>somebody's files (whether e-mail or general files), and a snoopee is required
>to be notified of potential snooping *prior* mucking about.  Maybe Mike Godwin
>can clarify the law on this point if he's still around (congrats on the
>Cambridge position, Mike!).....

I believe such a warrant is required as a matter of federal law
in the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, but I can't check until
I get my books shipped up to Cambridge from Austin. Sharon Beckman
has discussed this somewhat on the Well, as I recall. I try to be
accurate on these things, but without my lawbooks I'm reduced to my
somewhat addled memory.

--Mike

--
Mike Godwin, (617) 864-0665 |"If the doors of perception were cleansed
mnemonic@well.sf.ca.us      | every thing would appear to man as it is,