[comp.org.eff.talk] NIMC, Cyberspace, and the dangers of info control

TK0JUT2@netsys.NETSYS.COM (10/01/90)

The recent note indicating how Sears/IBM censors GEnie may provide a warning
for the dangers when corporate interests control information flow. "Research"
is a broad term, and networking, maintaining or establishing contacts, or
simply a courtesy note to say "hi" is a legitimate part of the total research
enterprise. There are legitimate problems of over-use that can disrupt the
activities of all users, and there are clearly abuses (e.g., hate mail,
advertisements). The former can be alleviated with expansion of net resources,
a political decision, and one that should be aggressively pursued. The latter
is a small price to pay for increased communicative activity, analogous to
junk mail, and much easier (and neater) to trash.

A free and open democracy depends on unrestrained communication flow. If GEnie
is, in fact, engaging in censorship, they might state this in their t.v.
ads--"we're pretty cool for what we do, but we *do* engage in censorship and
will tell you what's good for you!" Personal mail to friends certainly seems a
legitimate use of resources, especially given the problems of snail-mail and
the costs of long-distance calling. The various bitnet hotlines are hardly
research, but they provide an element of socialization and interaction crucial
to an academic community. Newslines such as this can hardly be considered
research in the strictest sense of the term, but many of us have benefitted
from the dialogues and comments, and this adds to our own knowledge that we
apply in our own way.

We should resist any attempts to limit access to the nets, and a frightening
question is: Who shall determine what counts as research? Does "monitoring"
mean that my communications will be read? Will the net police cut off my
account if they disapprove of my research?

I may be missing something, but recent notes seem to have frightening
implications. Rather than criticize Abernathy, who has, after all, provided
some useful information (I hadn't seen the information in either Chicago paper
or the NYT), perhaps we could entice him to do a follow-up story on the
implications of it all?

At stake seems to be the current tendency to control cyberspace,
and we might take even potential threats quite seriously.

In article <182@netsys.NETSYS.COM> niu.bitnet!TK0JUT2@netsys.NETSYS.COM writes:
>The recent note indicating how Sears/IBM censors GEnie may provide a warning
>for the dangers when corporate interests control information flow.

There seems to me to be a far greater danger when government interests
control information flow.   There is only one government (with many levels)
but there are many corporations.

I could even see a constitutional amendment forbidding government involvement
in the computerization of society.

Why?  Because in a network society, if the network is under the control of
one entity, we would literally be able to implement a police state in
software.   The push of a button could turn society from freedom to
oppression.  No armies would have to roll in.  No guns would have to
be pried from the cold, dead fingers of people who like NRA bumper stickers.

Make it so easy to get a police state and I think you could get one.

The network must be owned and run by a variety of private interests for the
society to remain free.

>A free and open democracy depends on unrestrained communication flow. If GEnie
>is, in fact, engaging in censorship, they might state this in their t.v.

GEnie is not.  It is Prodigy that is reportedly removing references to the
new fixed-price service of their competitor from Prodigy message boards.
(This is unconfirmed.)

Note that this is not censorship.  Censorship, which is the use of force
to stop the flow of information, can only be done by governmental and
quasi-governmental authorities.  If I were a Prodigy user, I would
dislike it, but I would recognize Prodigy's right to not provide
information on competitors in their databases.

karl@ficc.ferranti.com (Karl Lehenbauer) (10/02/90)

In article <182@netsys.NETSYS.COM> niu.bitnet!TK0JUT2@netsys.NETSYS.COM writes:
>The recent note indicating how Sears/IBM censors GEnie ...

It's Prodigy that's owned and censored by Sears and IBM, not GEnie.
--
-- uunet!ficc!karl (wk), uunet!sugar!karl (hm)
"The computer programmer is a creator of universes for which he alone is

chip@soi.UUCP (Chip Morris) (10/02/90)

brad@looking.on.ca (Brad Templeton) writes:

>The network must be owned and run by a variety of private interests for the
>society to remain free.

I agree.  The Internet appears to be an exception, but the state of
grace is temporary.  When resources get scarce, as they inevitably
will, or when a deep controversy arises, we will see the same kind of
fighting as we see in the NEA or state education.

>Note that this is not censorship.  Censorship, which is the use of force
>to stop the flow of information, can only be done by governmental and
>quasi-governmental authorities.  If I were a Prodigy user, I would
>dislike it, but I would recognize Prodigy's right to not provide
>information on competitors in their databases.

To use Marvin Minsky's phrase, our networks should be "small, cheap
and out of control".  If we insist on ONE BIG NETWORK, public or
private, we are inviting bureaucratic and political control.

To appreciate the difference between state cencorship and private
restraint, consider the recent FBI operation agains "hackers".  If I
don't like PRODIGY, I am free to set up my own BBS (and there are many
alternatives).  But if the FBI and I have a disagreement, they point
their guns at my head and steal my equipment.

There is a PROFOUND difference, and people need to recognize it!
--
Chip Morris, Senior Engineer
Software Options, Inc., 22 Hilliard St., Cambridge MA 02138  (617) 497-5054

cos@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Ofer Inbar) (10/08/90)

In article <1990Oct01.194237.5002@looking.on.ca> brad@looking.on.ca (Brad Templeton) writes:
>In article <182@netsys.NETSYS.COM> niu.bitnet!TK0JUT2@netsys.NETSYS.COM writes:
>>The recent note indicating how Sears/IBM censors GEnie may provide a warning
>>for the dangers when corporate interests control information flow.
>
>There seems to me to be a far greater danger when government interests
>control information flow.   There is only one government (with many levels)
>but there are many corporations.
>
>I could even see a constitutional amendment forbidding government involvement
>in the computerization of society.

Could you see a constitutional ammendment forbidding government
involvement in maintaining public roads and highways?  Does the fact
that the government has the ability to prevent you from using public
roads scare you, or make you think that the government will actually
use this ability?

One of the functions of the EFF should be to extend analogies such as
this to the electronic world, so that the government could maintain
our networks without causing fear.

>The network must be owned and run by a variety of private interests for the
>society to remain free.

The problem with private interests is that they tend to be driven by
profit only, and are not accountable to the public except in that they
need money.  Private interests scare me much more than public.

>Brad Templeton, ClariNet Communications Corp. -- Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

  --  Cos (Ofer Inbar)  --  cos@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu
  --  WBRS (BRiS)  --  WBRS@binah.cc.brandeis.edu  WBRS@brandeis.bitnet
  "Good literature is about Love and War."
  "Junk Fiction is about Sex and Violence."